It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain to censor the Internet - ATS at risk!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
openleft.com...

... What his plan will do is eviscerate consumer protections on the internet, allowing for censorship by private interests like Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T who have already demonstrated that they have and will engage in censorship of political speech for business and political reasons. ...

I will say it again, there are only 2 choices for the job of president. Censorship and Freedom bashing WILL be part of McCain legacy.
ATS may be monitored and many may be targeted for not being politically correct. Do we want to go down this path?

[edit on 15-8-2008 by TheOracle]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Have another link? That one is broken.

T'anks.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Link fixed! sorry didnt paste properly =)

openleft.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Oracle,,, are you an imposter ???

You have gone from short black hair to curly golden hair

I thought I just saw,,,you,,, ???

Anyways back on topic.

I think it is only obvious and reasonable for the MSM to want to posses and control
as much information as possible. Second I find it logical for the right to desire suck
I mean such control of the truth. JSO will be back tomorrow to chastise me, however
I think the entire GOP elite have gone completely ROMAN conquest on the American public. When Money dictates morality and truth then I think it is safe to say we have a
problem...

Anyways my avatar still looks like exhibitionist foreplay between two mummies

s + f

[edit on 15-8-2008 by mental modulator]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Originally posted by mental modulator
JSO will be back tomorrow to chastise me, however
I think the entire GOP elite have gone completely ROMAN conquest on the American public.

Why wait till tomorrow, mm?
j/k

On topic, I think I'll wait till McCain's policy is actually released before commenting.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

JSO will be back tomorrow to chastise me, however
I think the entire GOP elite have gone completely ROMAN conquest on the American public.

Why wait till tomorrow, mm?
j/k

On topic, I think I'll wait till McCain's policy is actually released before commenting.

WOW JSO... very good
Your of your word and your pledge!

I can dig that!

I think I just broke the pledge

Passion of what I believe gets the better of me...

Good on you!

Debate then...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

ahah this pic is actually quite old, check my profile you will understand =)

And I think Mccain knows how unpopular this policy is and he 'd probably keep it quiet until he is elected.
And we all know he is continuation of Bush policies that is crackdown on the constituion and civil liberties.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
John McCain wants to let corporate interests take over the internet and turn it into another cable news or talk radio...No surprise here.

Net neutrality is one of the most important but least talked about issues in this election. To ATS posters it should be especially important - how would you like to have to pay an extra $10 a month to your ISP to access this site? If they let you at all?

For what it's worth, Barack Obama stands for protecting net neutrality:

"It is because the Internet is a neutral platform that I can put out this podcast and transmit it over the Internet without having to go through any corporate media middleman. I can say what I want without censorship or without having to pay a special charge.

But the big telephone and cable companies want to change the Internet as we know it. They say that they want to create high speed lanes on the Internet and strike exclusive contractual agreements with Internet content providers for access to those high speed lanes.

Everyone who cannot pony up the cash will be relegated to the slow lanes."

obama.senate.gov...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle

And I think Mccain knows how unpopular this policy is and he 'd probably keep it quiet until he is elected.
And we all know he is continuation of Bush policies that is crackdown on the constituion and civil liberties.

A transition???

Well I haven't even figured out Mccain at all,,, IMO he used to seem fairly grounded,
a little agro, but not all about what he is selling now. Very strange guy...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle

A transition???

Well I haven't even figured out Mccain at all,,, IMO he used to seem fairly grounded,
a little agro, but not all about what he is selling now. Very strange guy...

Well it is pretty clear that the current administration want continuation in their agenda and have the candidate to do the job. Assuming Bush wouldnt support McCain for no other reason that he is republican. Its all smoke and mirrors.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by evanmontegarde

You talking about the same Obama who voted for FISA. Wasn't FISA a crackdown on our constituion and civil liberties?

Anyway, I think I will wait for McCain policy to come out also. Too early to judge.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
FISA and net neutrality are totally different issues.

In a worst case scenario, though, allowing telecom companies to spy illegally and blocking access are two means to the same end - you could get reported for visiting "illegal sites" in the first method, or just not be able to access them in the second.

Protecting net neutrality is a much more relevant issue to the average internet user. Everyone uses an ISP, but only a tiny minority were affected by FISA spying.

The FISA vote is something I really was disappointed with, but I understand the mechanics behind it. Nothing happens in a vacuum in politics.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Censorship of the internet will also be done by the SP as well here is a link to a story that I posted a little while back
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Its not looking to good for us all

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by evanmontegarde
John McCain wants to let corporate interests take over the internet and turn it into another cable news or talk radio...No surprise here.

Of course you have something to back that up, don't you? Facts, quotes from McCain, policy papers, Senate votes, something, right?

Because you wouldn't be making such an irresponsible statement otherwise, would you?

And a question to you and others: How does John McCain go about "taking over the internet"? The very notion is absurd. Do you know what "the internet" is? Hint: it doesn't "belong" to the US, for starters... it's not ours to "give away".

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
As an American I believe in freedom and liberty however I dont support rabble rousers or people who convey hysterics over the internet. Being a recent college grad and getting ready for another 5 years I feel it is important to make sure as a society we are all on the same page regardless of education, religion, or economic status. The internet is like the wild west and to many people get away with murder LITERALLY! take the jihad movement for example many beheadings are broadcast over the internet since its a medium that terrorists like to use to convey their message. A better America will be able to pursue truth by shedding light on what is fact and what is fiction. It is up to our elected leaders and academics to make sure that the right information is portrayed so that when discussions occur their based off of facts and not wild ideas without a trace of logic. Look at global warming and how so many people think it is real yet its a proven fact that is a delusion manifesting itself in almost widespread hysteria. Another example would be soldiers serving in Iraq who were disgruntled and due to this began posting blogs that were misleading. The stories did not portray the full scope of our fight for freedom under the pressure of Al Qaeda. Once this behavior was noted the military rightfully so issued new orders taht blogging by soldiers was illegal unless aporved. This prevents the wrong kind of message being sent which results in disinformation.

Places like wikipedia are not edited by appropriately vetted academics or scholars and experts. Instead its left to the unwashed masses to create their own story of events where most portrayals come off as pure mythology rather than stone cold facts. McCain plans to take our liberties to the next level by giving us the freedom to access the correct information instead of what some person off the street thinks is true. My work has been published in 2 journals both peer reviewed and its high time we apply that same standard to the internet. McCain will use justice and the constitution to overcome these obstacles to give americans the life they deserve using the blinding light of the red white and blue to guide their way to the truth. Those who dont comply I am confident McCain will have seeing stars from behind bars.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by tigpoppa]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Do not get me wrong, I am not a McCain supporter, but Obama supports the so called Fairness Doctrine. Either way its fascism.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Of course you have something to back that up, don't you? Facts, quotes from McCain, policy papers, Senate votes, something, right?

Because you wouldn't be making such an irresponsible statement otherwise, would you?

And a question to you and others: How does John McCain go about "taking over the internet"? The very notion is absurd. Do you know what "the internet" is? Hint: it doesn't "belong" to the US, for starters... it's not ours to "give away".

"McCain Opposes Net Neutrality"

archive.newsmax.com...

I don't think you understand the concept of net neutrality. It's not a matter of whether the government would restrict internet access, it's a matter of whether ISPs would be allowed to.

Do not get me wrong, I am not a McCain supporter, but Obama supports the so called Fairness Doctrine. Either way its fascism.

Not true

www.tvweek.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

"McCain Opposes Net Neutrality"

archive.newsmax.com...

I don't think you understand the concept of net neutrality. It's not a matter of whether the government would restrict internet access, it's a matter of whether ISPs would be allowed to.

Oh, I totally understand the concept of net neutrality. I also have a detailed knowledge of "the internet". And I understand the danger of hyperbole and hysterical statements like the ones being tossed around this thread.

Re: your source. McCain did not "oppose net neutrality", as the misleading title states. He said government regulation was not the way to do it. He said, the less gov't intervention, the better. I happen to agree with that idea.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tigpoppa

McCain plans to take our liberties to the next level by giving us the freedom to access the correct information instead of what some person off the street thinks is true.

Are you kidding me? And who exactly will determine what the "correct" information is? The beauty of the Internet is that every person on the street CAN post what he or she thinks is true, and then the reader can decide whether to believe it or not. It happens all the time on this board and lord knows there's a lot of bogus info on here. But I personally wouldn't have it any other way.
Would you?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MrVertigo

And who exactly will determine what the "correct" information is?

I totally agree. I read that post and a shiver went up my spine!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join