It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The [Un]Fairness Doctrine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
47% Favor Government Mandated Political Balance on Radio, TV
Visit link here

Ladies and gentlemen, that noise you hear is the sigh of EVERY true American who loves their 1st amendment...

Nearly half of Americans (47%) believe the government should require all radio and television stations to offer equal amounts of conservative and liberal political commentary, but they draw the line at imposing that same requirement on the Internet.

This article is so terrifying... The only thing entering my mind is a Soviet Style regime controlling everything... I don't know if is because of the stories I have heard, or the stuff I have read...

This is just Wrong... It’s like half our country doesn't care about this country, or our liberties...

Something is wrong here... Either they happen to call a large percentage of anti-American Morons that day, or the US is in some serious trouble... What does it mean when 1/2 the population would submit to a soviet style-government-led-media... AND WILLINGFULLY...

The US HAD a free press, and over the MANY years, the very-most-interworkings of the US government have been working to strip us of these freedoms... Now the government wants to be able to tell you BOTH sides, EQUALY, implying that there are ONLY 2, and that the government will choose both options for you...

Have we come this far... are we at the edge, ready to commit cultural suicide...

The Article also talks about government censored INTERNET... but only ~40% favor that... so back to the Propaganda Machine(Cable Television) on that one

Democrats are more supportive of government involvement in the airwaves than Republicans and unaffiliated voters. Fifty-four percent (54%) of Democrats favor it, and only 26% are opposed. Republicans and unaffiliated voters are fairly evenly divided.

Another fact in my observation, that the 'Democrat' party is more insane then the Average American... How... We can all admit that the US has a fair amount of insane people, or those who are just downright morons... So these stats(although without TOTAL stats from the horrible source) we can make 2 conclusions... But takes some thought cause in typical media fashion, most stats are left out

Now, both those who identify themselves as republican or unaffiliated, are BOTH less Supportive of Government-run-Media. As opposed to the MAJORITY of Democrats, who would welcome a media-media with open arms... What a government media, Well, ALL TOTALIATARIAN leaderships evoke government-controlled media, as one of a few measures...

Now, me holding no bias, would assume that the clearly insane, or morons would file into Dems and Reps equally, with a similar % of crazies holding no affiliations...

BUT on this case, the Dems have attracted more morons... What does it mean, who knows... Probably that libs are just still mad over the failure of 'Air America'...

This is quite insane...

I can't imagine talking to ANYONE who would want DIRECT-GOVERMENT control into the media... I mean, I know the government has a GREAR track record for running things efficiently, and fair... But, what about the free markets...

It’s my belief that the ratings are what control the market...

In television, companies are able to use flashy Gimmicks, and sex, to sell SUBPAR content, and this is what has morphed the Major News Networks in the US into a 99% liberal media...

On the Radio waves, the converse is true, Conservative Radio holds a near 70% hold on the Market. Why? My theory. With the Radio, it is an older form, it’s easier to hear BS on with no flashy gimmicks to look at, or sexy blondes to distract you. This means you are focused in on the THOUGHTS, and REASONING of the speaker...

For Radio, take this for example, A radio program that relates the news of the day, to significant historical events in history.

vs

A news program that has a discussion with two Partners, and their teenager who is transsexual...

Now Take the same conversations, and put it on the Television...

You get something like the history channel

vs

What was on BBC yesterday...

On the Radio, you can engage your mind and envision the ideas, with FULL CONCETRATION... naturally, leading to the logic based, reasoning topics...

On the Television, you can look at all the pictures of the people in question(it makes me sick even thinking about it), Girls gone wild ads, and read a description of a news program like the one above... (It went like, "... Follows the story of a teen that gets his genitals surgically altered to become a woman... I was watching TV with 4 other dudes and a girl, and we all went AHHH, WTF, and BLAH...)

But, that’s just me...

I would love to hear what you all think...

About this unfairness doctrine... I can't imagine ANYONE that would willingly want the government to run its media... But, then again, I guess I can expect 47%(or MORE) of you to disagree....

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Funny I think the Conservative are are bat @!#$ crazy,,,

Secondly, I think the right is taking the long, slow and deliberate walk to PLUTOCRACY-
Corporate Fascism ...

It seems the first consideration in GOP legislation is how much money will this make X
or how much money will this cost X... Citizens are about fourth in legislating...

www.senate.gov...

Example--

Cost -- OIL COMPANIES

Beneficiaries - Joe America

Who did the RIGHT SIDE WITH???

I wonder?

Money does not equal morality or truth, never has but you might promote it into existence yet.

You know why liberals are not about bringing totalitarianism???

Because in totalitarian regimes, certain groups are sought out ( gays and dark skinned usually), certain companies that are regime friendly are promoted, national religion is promoted, blind patriotism is evoked and an ever present and elusive enemy is declared - ever present lurking in the shadows...

Sorry thats history --

Russians did it

Germans did it

Chinese do it

Iran 2

and the GOP is all about it... What above rings true with the Democrats?

Liberals are about letting you be what you want to be, think what you want, dress how you want, protecting to poor ( or the lazy as you might see it), free to do who you want, free to believe in any god and not one force down other peoples throats, peace over war, merit over money, include instead of exclude...

So unless you are talking about a new and never before practiced form of totalitarianism? Frankly you can not create enough control without the above conditions
,,, historically,,,, but history does not seem to be a strong suit for Rush or BILL.

When liberals start gathering on corners to berate gay people (cough Germany Cough Russia ), talk about needing a national religion taught in school ( cough Germany),
Defending the Homeland (cough Germany, Russia, Iran, China ), Screw the weak - build the rich richer ( cough Germany, Russia, China, Cambodia, China, Iran, Iraq, GOPs)...

Well when this happens I may agree with you...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
It's a strong testament to just how much the pro-liberal bias has permeated ATS's member ranks when a true conspiracy scenario in which Big Brother is clearly employing propaganda and the thought police as is the case with the fairness doctrine barely gets spoken of and threads about it are largely ignored.

It should be very interesting if and when the doctrine gets applied to radio the conservatives call for it to be applied to the internet and to the print media. I'm guessing that the Nancy Pelosis of the world, while getting extremely excited at the idea of radio being forced to present the anti-Rush for every Limbaugh show they air, will be less than excited when her precious liberal fishwraps and liberal sites like Huffingtonpost are suddenly forced to present the flip side of the coin.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I agree this is completely insane. Who's going to decide what's equal coverage? And what about everything that isn't democratic or republican? What about the middle? Preposterous, insane, and criminal.

As for the democrats, well I think that extreme in any direction is bad, but it seems that the average democrat is more left of middle than the average republican is right of middle.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the replys, those that did reply...

This is one of the most truely terrifying things ive seen...

We all know the Goverment LOVES to have control, and would snatch ALL power if they could...

Now, they have convinced NEAR 50% of the American Populace, that the goverment should be the supreme arbitar for ALL issues...

As it is, the Media outlets are DOMINATED by certain 'groups'...

I can't belive that ANYONE wants this... its crazy... I can't belive that ANYONE would be this stupid...

The founding fathers of this country would probaly shoot someone in the head if they said that they think the goverment should control the media...

SO ANYONE, please, tell me why you support this...
If you are a Dem, tell me what this make you think of your party?

People need to get up to date on the [un]Fairness Doctrine...

This is STRIAGHT out of the soviot handbook...

But i guess if your riddled up on perspription drugs, you probaly don't have any understanding of history, or the capacity to think reasonably anymore...

its sad...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I have been hearing rumors about a return of the Fairness Doctrine for a few months now. This is the first hard news I have heard on it though.

The Fairness Doctrine is a direct violation of the freedoms of speech and of a free press. With that many Americans now thinking these two freedoms don't matter any more, the only real hope left is the Supreme Court. They did do good on the recent 2nd Amendment case.

There is another possibility. These polls are often directly biased (calling only people in a certain liberally-minded area) or indirectly biased (question: "Do you think Rush Limbaugh, with all his millions and his Republican leanings, should be able to speak while opposing views are not allowed?). I hope and pray the American people are not so far gone as to knowingly and consciously agree that our freedoms are not needed or wanted.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Anyone who has any stories about the last time the Fairness Doctrine was around...

Feel free to tell them...

Im in my 20's, so, everything i know about it is 2nd/3rd hand...

Anyone have any persnal acounts?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero
Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but it is my understanding that the Fairness Doctrine was defeated last go-around. It has never actually been in effect.

The name is a total misnomer. Under this doctrine, 'fairness' is defined as equal time to both sides of any viewpoint. That sounds fine on the surface, but that also means that if someone wants to state their opinion, they are prohibited from doing so unless someone states an opposite opinion. That means that no talk radio could exist, because it is based on opinion and the opinions of the hosts determine the ratings (and therefore the value of the show). It could be extended to editorials in newspapers, meaning that public outcry would be disallowed because dissenting opinions were not received to be published as well.

There is also talk this time around that it could be applied to the Internet itself. So say goodbye to blogs. The only opinions that could be presented are those where there are opposing blogs. the pressure on the different radio/TV/newspapers/Internet sites would be tremendous to make sure all sides of every issue would be presented, and thusly, many of these media outlets would no doubt just shut down.

IMO, it stemmed from the failure of Air America to succeed in the talk radio market.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

join