It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the olympic scoring system bias to the Chinese?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
All I keep reading and hearing is that the scoring is questionable during these Olympics.

On the Tv, the commentators are buzzing about it, especially about the Chinese gymnists.

Is bais scoring actually possible?? I really don't have a clue as this is news is news to me. Is there a conspiracy here?

With today's experts watching and computers and replays, can this really be true? Or is it just hype for the men and women of other countries who lose so they have something to complain about?

Anyone know if there is any truth to all of this??

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Yea I'm watching it currently and after nearly every chinese performance in gymnastics the NBC (American Announcers so they could be biased but I'd take their word for it) say that their scores are way too high. But they'll probably get away with it what can you do.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by racerzeke

Yeah, I can't sleep either and am watching it as well to see the womens final replay.

At least the US girls toook the gold and the silver ans rightfully so. The China girl getting bronze is fishy so they say.

I just read that the balance beam for the Chinese girl was really questionable. She supposidly has serious errors and she was not deducted for them.
Home court advantage?

[edit on 15-8-2008 by wolf241e]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Tim Daggett said that even though they are in China there arent extra Chinese judges but it sure seems it! I mean the nation of China is worth trillions and so are other nations I wonder how hard it would be to buy off the judges for some favorable scores. Ever been done? I'm pretty new to watching the olympics.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Well, in history, there HAVE BEEN cheating scandals involing JUDGES in events that are 'Scored'...

In my personal opinoin, i started getting suspicious the first day watching it, scoreing in the boxing was Atrocious... And it carried on to other events...

On personal note anyway, i personaly don't care too much for the 'sports' that are 'scored' and then a 'winner' is 'choosen'... That just reeks of Garbage there...

With 'scoreing' events, the JUDGES DECIDE THE WINNER... BY DEFUALT, thats the DEFINITION OF THE EVENT... it flat out takes a competor(such as the 13-year old Chiniese Child, this past day), To flat out Fall on her BUTT to have a 'choosen winner' fail...

Th Chiniese child fell striaght out on one of her gym runs today... but still got a good score... and still got a medal... while other gymnists made no major mistakes, and similar tricks...

To me this has been more Shady by the event... AND anyone that says the Olymics and Polotics are and entertwinded, is either a moron, or just young...

Take The 'scored' events with a grain of salt...
The events where the ATHLEATES determine the winner, thats what you should watch, Swimming, Track, those type of events...

Then there are the team sports, that are truely out of place at the olympics... Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Softball, these are sports, not athletic competitions... But these are my favorite, and the Judge can have REAL outcome on a game...

Take the Olympics with a grain of salt... The US will still probaly win the overall medal count, with an unsual amount of Bronze...

But remeber this, even if the USA won 0 medals, we still have the National Football League...

The NFL > then every other sport...

Hands down...

So, in consluistion, if the Olympics had American Football, they wouldn't be fixed... or something...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Buying judges votes happens all the time in the olympics, just take a look at the boxing.

EDIT: I have to disagree that the NFL is better than any other sport,
AFL > Rugby >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NFL

[edit on 15/8/08 by Cthulwho]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Just got done watching the end of the balance beam event. There was definelty questionable things goingon with the scoring.

The floor excersise is starting now.

I guess that we'll see what happens.

Yes, i know thw results and the medal positions, I'm just curious to see what all the hype is about. I've got to watch this.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cthulwho

EDIT: I have to disagree that the NFL is better than any other sport,
AFL > Rugby >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NFL

Well, if you like more passing, less stratagy, and MORE SCORING the Arena Football League(AFL) is an acceptable answer... Other good answer would have been the CFL(cannadian Footbal League) or arenaleague2, or just NCAA Football...

However, Rugby, wil get you docked a point...

The NFL is the thinking mans sport... The Head Coach/ Playcaller/ QB have more presure then ANY OTHER GAME...

And some Olympic news, DId you see this? A 13 year old is in China's gym team...

Warning, the Childs name is He, even though she is a she, so they refer to her, as he...

Confusing, yes, but fear not, this isn't a story out of the San Fransicko Cronicale on Transvestites, just a funny asian name...

But serioulsy, 13, i want to see the hieght and weight for her, she looked like 4/6 or something, and weighed who knows... freakish...

[edit on 8/15/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
That cohost on NBC (that dude with mustache) is obviously bias as well... There were mistakes that we (USA) have made and it was overlooked. I think it's just a hoax to get people questioning China to spruce up some garbage dislike for China. Those judges being bribed? If that's true it can go either way. If you really want to see obvious bias look at 2004's men's gymnastic where south korea got robbed of a gold because the 3 judges screwed up(accident?).

In any case, if every country acts as stupid as we are doing.. and SHAME ON NBC for allowing this .. imagine Australia saying that Michael Phelps was using hormone inducing drugs to allow him to swim faster and they either bribed the testers OR he's using something that's undetectable.. HOW would we enjoy other country saying that his Olympic records were frauds?

Let's be mature about this and see it for what it is... An Olympic Event.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The bias was not subtle in the women's vault. The American took 4th behind China even though the Chinese woman fell on a landing. It was hard to believe she still took third. The deduction was very low by most accounts.

[edit on 8/18/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
"Is the Olympic scoring system bias to the Chinese?"

Apparently not in the swimming pools.
I mean 8 medals eh? Sweet it is.
On the other hand I am old enough to remember the 7 earned in 72'

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Ever since the Sales-Pelletier debacle in Salt Lake City, I've never trusted any judged events in the Olympics. Since that was quite a few years ago, heres a refresher for you guys.

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Yes it is. There is no doubt. The Chinese have got most of their metals in "judged" events. go figure. It was way to obvious too. Great thread.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Well the Olympic's are about done.

I must say that I was very entertained. But also schocked and saddened by the scoring.

Not just for the US but for any country that was in a "judged" event against the Chinese.

They have disperportionate amount of Gold's and the same goes for the US with the Bronze's.

Very Strange Indeed.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
So when an american wins its fair judging but if the chinese win it must be fixed, right?

Judging is done by INTERNATIONAL judges, not by China!
Its strange that the usually reliable american media (ahem!) are the ones whining about this-i've heard nothing about it in the european media??

If there is score fixing/doping it will all be revealed in time, but you guys had better pray there's a lot of it becuase China are owning the competition at the moment, the medals table speaks for itself-

The table for gold medals at the time of writing-
China 37
USA 20
GB 12

I'm sure a nice cold glass of bud will help those sour grapes slip down a bit easier?

[edit on 18-8-2008 by the way]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by the way
So when an american wins its fair judging but if the chinese win it must be fixed, right?

Judging is done by INTERNATIONAL judges, not by China!
Its strange that the usually reliable american media (ahem!) are the ones whining about this-i've heard nothing about it in the european media??

If there is score fixing/doping it will all be revealed in time, but you guys had better pray there's a lot of it becuase China are owning the competition at the moment, the medals table speaks for itself-

The table for gold medals at the time of writing-
China 37
USA 20
GB 12

I'm sure a nice cold glass of bud will help those sour grapes slip down a bit easier?

Well said....

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
The bias was not subtle in the women's vault. The American took 4th behind China even though the Chinese woman fell on a landing. It was hard to believe she still took third. The deduction was very low by most accounts.

[edit on 8/18/2008 by roadgravel]

Perhaps before you go crying foul, you should familiarise yourself with the rules of the competition you are watching?
In gymnastics points are awarded on the overall difficulty of the particular routine, for instance-
If someone peforms a routine that is graded as having a difficulty of 15.8 and they make a small error and one medium (- 0.1 and 0.3 respectively) they will receive a higher score than someone who performs a 14.9 without any mistakes. Even a large mistake made would still beat that as that is -0.8.

No fault, no harm, just another false alarm!

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
not at all - infact, I was watching a fencing match with the chinese team against the Ukrainian - and a couple of times in there they did not give the chinese team the point when it seemed obvious to them and me that the chinese girl had scored.

So Ukraine walked away with a gold medal.
Infact, you could say they are being to careful not to be biased.

Who really cares who walks away with the most medals anyway?
The funny thing is that America is made up of a bunch of expats from Europe, and other places.

A native born Hungarian won for an Austrian team - notice not to many medals for Hungary? Well 1/3 of the nation is somewhere else.

At what point does any of this 'nationalistic' stuff make sense?
The U.S., if anything, is not representing a nation - but showing that the world is now connected as one and the world is the melting pot.

If you want to talk about biased, you could say they are biased towards Michael Phelps.

The 7th medal, I believe, was not that clear.
In fact when they gave Phelps the winning point, as it were, the crowd seemed to be shocked that they decided so fast to award Phelps the win, whenever it was unclear if he did win.

The ref was biased in the comment and basically implied that there was never any question if Phelps would have won...of course he would have. As the ref basically put it, "hes the best athlete".
Infact, they would have maximal shared the gold with the other athlete - but consideration for Phelps to get 2nd was out of the question in a race that close.

From what I saw...in the tiny pics released, it looked like Phelps lost by a hair.

And also, notice that the winner of the relays - its Phelps name that becomes the teams representative. After all, the whole team got gold...it should be 'team usa'.
He wouldnt have got some of those without the team

What am I ranting about?

This build up of some egoic identity of an individual, in this case, (though it can apply to a nation), when all of it is just bogus. (Not picking on Phelps...just an example...)

The fact is all those athletes are talented, and those that win...did so in times when it was a virtual tie. (The Russian tennis match, Russia vs. Russia, was pretty darn close in regards to talent if you watched it.)

Bad days, good days - a lot at a certain point is darn luck.

But ego goes away and forgets the others that were basically gold medalist... and puts the guy/gal who lucked out with the gold up as if they won by miles more.

Competition is all good and fun, but we take it way to seriously, and then turn it into some idol and dream to shoot for...something to help build walls and not tear them down.

Go China...win double gold than the U.S.
Get the most medals. Why? Well, why not?
The whole thing is lopsided anyway. The U.S. is mainly winning in swimming - which has 5 million events in it. So they produce good swimmers...perhaps we should have a million categories in the other events as well.

What purpose is there to having a 50 meter (phelps absent...guess like running some are not good sprinters), 100 meter, 200, 300, 400, etc.
I mean, if your good at long distances - you dont have to have 500 variations to prove the point.

You either get it or not - so instead of 8 gold medals its more like one...and the sprint was won by...forgot. (See, its all about building up this character identification again.)

No, Im not anti-U.S.
But if China winning can get people to look at the sport as a sport, and stop identifying with it as an 'us vs. them' - then go for it. Again, Americas talent is based on worldwide talent. The only 'true' Americans, (The American Indians), are not even in the games.

Again, time to unite - and games can be a good way to do this.

Peace

dAlen

[edit on 18-8-2008 by dAlen]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Bias towards Phelps?!
Can't happen, the touch at the end on the race is through a computer system that records the lane that touches first.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
ive noticed some pretty perplexing scoring in the gymnastics, particularly womens. the women's vault final was certainly very stinky.

while i am not very conspiratorially minded, i have a feeling the IOC is a highly politically motivated fraternity, and their decision about where the olympics will be held are very closely linked to the globalist agenda aka bilderbergers aka NWO. whether this translates over into slanted scoring, i'm not so sure, but its interesting to keep an eye on.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join