It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asking what this could be, please help.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
For a long time now (Not my whole life) I've had a couple strange habits. One being, I can't "half-read" something. For instance, I can't read about half a sentence, decide its not important and stop reading it. If I do that, I *have to* go back and read it, otherwise my brain kind of... Well, I don't know how to say this, so I'll say it in simple terms. It gets "out of whack", then I have to go back and finish reading it. The other one is, I have a problem with odd numbers. One example is TV volume. I can't have it on odd numbers, it NEEDS to be even. I hate that because I feel different from friends and such but I "have to" have it on even numbers. Thats just one example though. One occurrance was in the past week when I was visiting my cousin while we were watching TV. My cousin changed the volume up to about 20. I had no problem with it. Then my cousin told me about his friend who has a problem with volume being odd. I mentioned my problem with them. I also told him about my whole reading thing and he told me that it is probably OCD.
Yeah, I know, wall of text.

But basically what I'm asking is your opinion on what this is. More the reading thing rather than the odd number, even number thing. I'm not sure if this is the section where this thread belongs and if its not, I'm sorry. Thank you for the help.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
yeah, its more than likely OCD, I have it mildly as well. Such as the toilet paper must be a certain direction while hanging on whatever that plastic holder is. Ok have several others as well. But both sound like OCD to me. I developed mine, just like it seems you did

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
OCD. It sounds like that is exactly what you are experiencing. Ocd is not always about hand washing and germs like you see on 'Monk'. My hubby is ocd, his 'thing' is scheduling, if a wrench gets thrown into his daily plan, he goes out of whack. His brain just can't take it, and he gets frustrated and I have to talk him back to sensibility. He has a few other 'things' that are part of his disorder, a very, very short attention span is one of them. His mom said in school his teachers had always said he had 'selective hearing', or only hears what he wants to, now he knows it was the ocd begining.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Thank you both. But, does OCD "grow" as in worsen over the years or can it stay "mild" like it is now? I hope it can stay mild. I mean, I didn't even think I had it until my cousin proposed it last week.

EDIT: I did some poking around on wikipedia (yes, I know its as reliable as IMDB which is not at all) but I found another thing that I do is associated with the "obsessive compulsive disorder spectrum". Its where you feel the urge to pick skin. I thought it was more of a habit than a condition but its a condition called Dermatillomania. I don't know how important that fact is but I thought I'd mention it. Might show that I have more of a chance of having OCD.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Dea_Ex_Machina]

new topics

top topics

join