It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegally Here? SHHHHHH

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Now this is interesting...

(CNSNews.com) - The city council of Hartford, Conn., has unanimously approved an ordinance that prohibits police and city employees from asking people about their immigration status.

The ordinance would bar police from arresting or detaining any person on the sole grounds that immigration authorities had issued an administrative warrant for them.

CNS News

So what is the point of the warrant?

The police can't ask if they are here legally, they can't detain or arrest them on a warrant!!!!!

Now is it that Illegal Aliens are being granted immunities that American Citizens don't have?

Semper

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Sup semp!

Councilman Luis Cotto, who introduced the ordinance, said it was needed so that illegal immigrants would be willing to cooperate with police in criminal investigations without fear of deportation.

That seems to be the point.

And technically, isn't immigration status out of jurisdiction for local law enforcement? That may be where change is needed.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

being here illegally is a felony under federal law, and all police (even local ones) can arrest people who are committing felonies

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Hey TA!!!

That's a common misconception...

A warrant is a warrant is a warrant and any sworn Law Enforcement Officer, can on his Oath, arrest anyone on possession of a valid, signed warrant..

Now if they are just here Illegally, it is up to the Officer or his Agency as to whether or not ICE is contacted and a deportation is requested...

It is the arbitrary enforcement of laws that gets us in trouble... All Law Enforcement has "Discretionary" arrest powers for sure, it is when it becomes a matter of policy that we get into trouble..

Semper

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADisbeliever
being here illegally is a felony under federal law, and all police (even local ones) can arrest people who are committing felonies

Well I guess that depends on the town...I guess Hartford will have to take that up in the courts. These things usually get tossed out by higher courts anyway, when the case is pushed.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Gee why should anybody give a degree of protection if you like to illegal aliens ?
These people didn't respect US laws to begin with so there is no reason public policy be used to give them rights or any incentive to remain in the country . Every country has its share of illegal aliens but when the problem is on the scale it is in the US the illegal aliens become detriment to society in general . The masses of illegal aliens can be exploited in the workplace , they lower wages and safety standards e.t.c .

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I swear the next time I get pulled over Im gonna pretend I cant speak english and I will say I have no I.D. and lets see what happens, Also if I find myself having to go to the emergency room I will again speak no english and furnish no I.D. I bet I will get good care that way

top topics

join