It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Bush Revoke/Re-Write The 22nd Amendment, To Hold A 3rd Term In Office?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
Excellant replies so far. Yes, I don't want this to happen, and I think 2/3's of the nation would revolt.

Personally, I think the world would storm our borders if he did something this assinine.

Ridiculous thread, so far, IMO.

Bush can personally overturn a constitutional amendment?

Bush is writing his own laws and congress can't keep up?

Countries would (be allowed to) "storm our borders" if Bush stayed in office.

If the OP is an American, this is a shocking example of lack of knowledge of how the U.S. government works. A foreigner might be forgiven for not understanding this.

IMO, the most likely event that would cause a "revolt" in the U.S. would be if Obama wins and starts trying to gut the military like Carter did.

[edit on 8/15/2008 by centurion1211]

For someone who seems so interested in the fall of Rome you seem to support this modern PLUTOCRACY??? I don't think your an aristocrat either...

Second I would not worry about OBAMA, your boys have it all worked out...

IMO thats when you should worry. I'm gonna go 100% hatchet job!!!

I must say when you get boned enough times you start to sense it before hand.

www.theregister.co.uk...

"We will be attacked on the basis of Article II Section 1, and on Amendment XXII," McIntyre writes. "Thus it is absolutely crucial that the anticipated Executive Order for a Continuity Presidency make no mention whatsoever of a 'Third Term.' This will eliminate appeals to Amendment XXII, and leave us free to focus our attack on Article II Section 1 alone. Thus, the Executive Order has got to be framed as a necessary - and Congressionally authorized - extension of the President's Second Term, so that we can base our arguments on the Joint Resolution and Article II Section 2.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by wolfmanjack
Back to him changing the 22 amendment..... He just can not do it without congress..

So that means He CAN do it if Congress does NOTHING?

So has Congress stood up to him on any other issues lately?

National Emergency?

We are poking sticks at Russia... still a few months to go

Would people vote for him a third time?

Lessee Obama... McCain.... Keep Bush he's funny....

Yup they would... everyone loves a clown

[edit on 15-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Not all the posters are kids with no civics .

I was a dyed in the wool republican 10 years ago and would have never thought i would write opinions like I do in the last few years . When you see the course of the government change after spending 28 years helping push the republican ideology . It changes your point of view .

It happens ONLY when you open your eyes.

Whether he can do it . Is not the question it is WILL HE !

If you don't think he cant read

Research the national emergency act .
We are still under a national emergency from 911 it expires for its annual renewal sept 21st 2008 I think . IT has be reinstated each year since .

And research Continuity of Government it creates a shadow government if a horrible national catastrophe act has happened . This was invokes by Chenney on 911 . It was still in place the following year under the COG the shadow government has extraordinary powers . and after last year Bush rewrote them and the most are secret even to congress .

And I thought it couldn't happen either till I did research it my self

www.abovetopsecret.com...

He has all the tools to make it happen. COG in place an on going national emergency and the Iran dispute and the Georgia problems war breaks out another 911 or a natural disaster Its GWBUSH for the next term

But will he ?

I would say if there ia another terrorist attack true or false flag yes Bush again Just like the movie grounghog day Bush over and over again

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Read Directive 51. He can do it legally.Read Directive 51. He can do it legally.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I doubt it. This is just more fear mongering.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
no instead he gets in touch with some of his rich middle eastern oil connections(the bin ladens are family friends) and we have another terrorist attack during the elections and he then declares martial law with no need to mess with an ammendment

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Yep, I'm American, and I guarantee I do not want this to happen.

You didn't vote for him, did you?

I've studied Ancient Rome and Ancient Greece all of my life, as well as World Politics.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Not buying it sorry. Ya know not once have I saw anything in this thread about a majority of states having to ratify a new ammendment or the fact that only an ammendment can negate an ammendment (ie prohibition).

The only thing I could forsee stopping a Presidential election is if we are in the middle of a nuclear war. This thread is little more than fear mongering.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by jefwane]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
no instead he gets in touch with some of his rich middle eastern oil connections(the bin ladens are family friends) and we have another terrorist attack during the elections and he then declares martial law with no need to mess with an ammendment

Here's someone who's thinking outside the box.

Nothing stopping something like this happening, now is there?

The only real thing that would be big enough an event to throw off the election, is a nuclear attack, or the perceived threat of a nuclear attack.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

So ummmm did they ever find that Nuclear weapon that went 'missing' from our arsenal? It made big headlines here but I never followed the end of that

Originally posted by Blueracer
I doubt it. This is just more fear mongering.

How is it fear mongering to accept the inevitable?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic here. I'll wait to see clarification.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Because it won't happen. Besides, if that's not fear mongering, what is?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lostinthedarkness
Whether he can do it . Is not the question it is WILL HE !

Not being an expert in AMERICAN politics...

Asking whether he has the ability to do this certainly is relevant to addressing the issue whether he WILL or not

If you don't think he cant read...
Research the national emergency act .
And research Continuity of Government

Sound like a lot of work to get a simple yes or no...
Why have a thread if one can't get a simple answer to a simple question? I have enough other research on my plate

And I thought it couldn't happen either till I did research it my self

AH! Thank you so that would be a "Yes he can" then

But will he ?
I would say if there ia another terrorist attack true or false flag yes Bush again Just like the movie grounghog day Bush over and over again

And America, despite the 'noise' will support him..

I wonder if I can get odds on this in Vegas?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
reply to post by zorgon

Because it won't happen. Besides, if that's not fear mongering, what is?

If it were fear-mongering, I'd be a politician, now wouldn't I?

By starting this thread I'm only asking a "what if" since Bush has commited so many other crimes against America, there's not a whole lot stopping him from doing this either.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
...he's done so many other crimes against our country, what's really to stop him?

There is a tiny clause at the bottom of the 22nd Amendment, something about pitch forks and torches.

Move along, NEXT!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Pawnhaus

I do believe I said something about pitchforks and torches on another post.

And when it comes to Bush and Cheney, nothing would surprise me.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

No he can not, with or without congressional approval.
He could have tried it earlier, although I doubt the Congress and the House, dominated by Democrats, would have gone along with it. He would need at least 75% of the votes, from Congress and then from the House of Representatives (sorry, the other way around). After that the proposal would still have to be approved by the Judicial Branch.
Presently there is just not enough time for him to do that, nor would he have the votes from an opposition Congress and House, so this is no more then a rhetorical hypothesis.

Even if he could somehow manage the task he would still have to run as a candidate, and win the election.
So the only possibility of him being the next President would be a Military Coup, highly unlikely, or Martial Law with the postponement of the elections.

I don't believe in any of those scenarios because:
a) Whatever you think of GWB, he would not want his legacy to be that tarnished.
b) His family wouldn't support such an action.
c) There is another Bush on the horizon, Jeb, who someday, I believe soon, will want to run for the office of President, or VP.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
No way this will happen.

This former staunch Republican and many others would take up arms before submitting to tyranny.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
No way this will happen.

This former staunch Republican and many others would take up arms before submitting to tyranny.

While I understand where you're coming from, the only problem is picking up a weapon will only give Bush and Cheney more political ammunition to enact Martial Law.

Just remember, when dealing with Government, you need to think less violence, and more action, political action.

Best way to beat an adversary or enemy, is to use their own weapons against them.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
If Bush and Cheney are willing to write something like the Military Recruiting provisions in the No Child Left Behind Act, do you really think he wouldn't go so far as to re-write or revoke the 22nd Amendment?

No Child Left Behind Act : Military Recruiting Information

I really hope everyone is paying attention here, because the facts are going to keep coming out, but will it be too late before everyone realizes it?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join