It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Bush Revoke/Re-Write The 22nd Amendment, To Hold A 3rd Term In Office?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I was having an interesting conversation the other night with someone, and they asked if I thought President George W.Bush might revoke, or re-write the 22nd Amendment in order to hold a 3rd term in office. The reason behind the question was because Bush has taken it upon himself to write so many laws that have caused Congress to go scrambling to catch up.

This is of course the law which was put into place because of F.D.R. holding four terms in office due to WWII. What are other ATS'ers views on this?

Remember now, Bush has been extremely quiet about the upcoming election. This of course would be so neither McCain nor Obama can get elected in November 2008.

No, I'm not in favor of this, nor am I in favor of any of the choices.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
hmm

without congressional approval....he can't, can he?

edit to add:

Even if he could - it'd be immediate grounds for impeachment?

Or....even beside that....who, in their right mind, would vote to re-elect him

[edit on 8/14/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Ender, he's done so many other crimes against our country, what's really to stop him?

Posted this over on this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

reply to post by mabus325

Thank you, President Bush, for leaving office, quickly and quietly.

Thank you, President Bush, for relocating to Paraguay, according to all the rumors.

Thank you, President Bush, for not revoking/re-writing the 22nd Amendment.

Will Bush Revoke/Re-Write The 22nd Amendement, To Hold A 3rd Term In Office?

Thank you, President Bush, for pissing off the rest of the world, which now hates the American citizens even though we never elected you, since you stole the elections.

Thank you, President Bush, for pushing us to the brink of anarchy, and for us to not cross the line which would allow you to put America under Martial Law, because we as combined citizens are smarter than you.

I sure hope he doesn't do something that stupid.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I agree he's broken a lot of laws. But my point is even if he finds a way to stay in office a third term - i fail to see how an impeachment process would fail

basically - all the stops would have to be pulled on the republican side, they'd have to forever destroy their credibility and reveal themselves in this ugly little prank they'd try to pull...on the whim of a chance that it might work

certainly the opportunity exists for him to try
but i dont know if its in the realm of remote possibility

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Well, it's obvious he's not dealing with reality. So, that being said, what's to stop him revoking the 22nd Amendment, and then re-writing the election process out altogether.

I mean, he's already pardoned himself and Cheney, for war crimes, correct?

This isn't much of a stretch for him to do.

Again, I'm not wanting it to happen, only curious what ATS'ers might think.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Legaly he could not......

That said What he could do is declare a national emergency that would prevent the elections from taking place.

Bush has signed some interesting executive orders in the last few years... One of them would give him total power over the government in the time of a national emergency. The issue is how the term "National emergency" is defined in the executive order he created. The word use in the definition is very broad.. Meaning he could claim a national emergency for just about anything.

Back to him changing the 22 amendment..... He just can not do it without congress..

SpartanKingLeonidas Bush can NOT pardon himself for criminal acts.. He just can not do it.

Edit........ holy #### he did....... .. He didn't but congress did......

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 14-8-2008 by wolfmanjack]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wolfmanjack

Okay, well would him declaring a state of National Emergency, and thereby disabling the election, be similar to revoking the 22nd Amendment?

It was an interesting postulation as to why he has been so quiet about the election.

Let's see, Obama and Clinton were fighting over the Democratic slot.

McCain really hasn't been trying all that much, except to discredit Obama, via Paris Hilton insults.

And,...Bush and Cheney are quiet,...way too quiet, about their leaving office.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
F.D.R. held office before the 22nd was ratified, and no President has held the office for more than two terms since it was enacted.

My simple answer is NO......

Do you honestly think the American people would stand for something like that, especially with a Democratic majority in the house ???

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wolfmanjack

Bush Pardoned For War Crimes : YouTube

Yup, I knew about that, but thanks for finding it, and I re-posted it.

I think Bush and Cheney have something up their sleeves.

October Surprise Predictions - Hedging Your Bets For 2008 Election

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

No, I do not think the American citizens would allow nor like that.

I'm not saying it will happen, but I sure see him not stopping his illegal activities either.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Bush did try to pull some tomfoolery such as what the OP is suggesting. When you step back and take a long, hard look at everything the man has done for the past eight years...it isn't so far fetched. Because of this, the question really shouldn't be will he, but would he get away with it if he did. I kinda think he has a good chance of doing the deed and getting away with it when I read a load of bollocks like this one Thank You Mr. President

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Bush and his motley crew have been rather quiet lately, and been doing something strange, doing the right thing?!

I noticed that with the Olympics and the Russia-Georgia conflict, Bush and his crew haven't been on best behavior. They have been acting unlike themselves. Is it preparing us for something more sinister coming up? I don't really think Bush is going to try for a third term. Here in Minnesota, 77% of eligble voters vote. Were not going to let him get in, again.

The sole power should not be upon ones hands too long, or he will grow greedy.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Excellant replies so far. Yes, I don't want this to happen, and I think 2/3's of the nation would revolt.

Personally, I think the world would storm our borders if he did something this assinine.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I've heard this being talked about, especially here on ATS. My personal opinion is no, I don't think he will. All the other unconstitutional things he's done has kind of been "under the table" - so to speak. By that I mean he's able to sell it to the majority of Americans without there being too much of a fuss. To rewrite/revoke the 22nd Amendment, in my opinion, would be so blatant that no American (even his strongest supporters) would go for it. There would be an insurrection...literally. I honestly believe that Americans would take to the streets of Washington DC and physically drag him out of the White House.

All that being said, however...stranger things have happened.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthChrisious

But what if that's the intent behind it? It there's a Revolution, this gives him cause to enact Martial Law, under a "National Disaster" scenario.

If the populace of the U.S. were to mass panic, because of another election snafu like 2000, would this not cause all sorts of problems?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   

I see your point, and it's a good one. I definitely wouldn't put it past him. I just have a hard time seeing that happening. If there's an election issue, I can see him holding on a little longer until it's resolved. But for him to hold on indefinitely the election would need to be voided, and he would the need support of Congress and, ultimately, the Supreme Court.

Of course, the Supreme Court has ruled in his favor before.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   

this is a bunch of bs
man some one needs to snipe the hell out george bush.how the hell is he gonna get a way from all this,oh,wait i know how,he is the president of the united states.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
F.D.R. held office before the 22nd was ratified, and no President has held the office for more than two terms since it was enacted.

My simple answer is NO......

Do you honestly think the American people would stand for something like that, especially with a Democratic majority in the house ???

The american sheeple have stood for everything else he's done, why wouldn't they? this country has zero spine...

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthChrisious

I see your point, and it's a good one. I definitely wouldn't put it past him. I just have a hard time seeing that happening. If there's an election issue, I can see him holding on a little longer until it's resolved. But for him to hold on indefinitely the election would need to be voided, and he would the need support of Congress and, ultimately, the Supreme Court.

Of course, the Supreme Court has ruled in his favor before.

Anything is possible with the current Idiot in Office.

As for Congress, I do not see them doing anything more than war profiteering, just like Bush and Cheney, so what's to stop them from pushing this to happen.

We are so many states of war right now, that we are literally right on the brink.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join