It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what the BLEEP does it all mean anyway ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I have a question for all those interested in participating ...

What do you think ancient religious texts are based on ?

1. An true representation of actual events taking place between man and god .
2. Early Alien contact
3. The scribbling of a mad scribe
4. A form of astro theology
5. A historical text that predates anything that modern science has knowledge of , a prehistorical account of man's history , a civilization that was some how destroyed by a global disaster and that account being passed down through time in the stories of these texts
6. Documents created by the ruling class to control the behavior and thinking of the common people
7. An account of an experienced psychedelic trip
8. All of the above

If you can think of others feel free to add them .

Me , I tend to go with number 8

[edit on 14-8-2008 by Max_TO]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Most of the stories are morality stories about choosing to do the right thing. The gods, goddesses and other beings are put in there to make it interesting. Some people want to believe the books are literal interpretations of past events.
I do believe that most legends and myths are based on some kind of fact, but aliens telling us what to do is not one of them.

Take a look at the story of Noah. Most people are looking for evidence of a world wide flood and the ark itself. The story is more about family and keeping it together during tough times. Noah is based on a story of a Sumerian king/chief noble man, but you don't see people looking for an old barge on the Tigris or Euphrates valleys.

Edited to add

[edit on 8/15/2008 by kidflash2008]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Ancient advanced human civilizations all the way, for me!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
One would hope early alien contact ;-) Sure would explain some of the Mayan artwork out there that shows people on "rockets" and stuff.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I would like to believe it was aliens, because that sounds more whimsical and fun to me, but to be honest I think it is more likely number 6, and/or history, and a little morality thrown in for good measure.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I would tend to believe that most religious texts are copied from earlier texts, going back to Sumerian, and theirs were likely copied from still earlier works now lost to time. However I do believe that the first works were probably written by or about an advanced culture with high technology. Most primitive cultures will use religion to explain something they don't understand.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
What do you think ancient religious texts are based on ?

Ancient religious experiences?

How fantastical and magical you interpret them have little to do with they're based on, that has to do with how bored you are with them.

Think on it. The Old Testament would be alot more fun if it included evil Hobgoblins.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by merka]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
My own view is that the materials come from human imagination as they tried to explain the natural world around them.

top topics

join