It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Not Jewish... So, Why Am I Circumsized ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I was born on an Air Force base in 1962. USA.

My parents were both non- practicing protestants. She Babtist, he Presbyterian.

So, why would it occur to anyone that I should be operated on ?

Isn' t circumcision a religious thing ?

Am I Jewish and just don't know it ?

It occurs to me that this is a bit strange... is it ?

Maybe it' s normal, but I'm curious to know.

Hope I didn' t lose the best part !

Anyone have an idea of how such decisions are made ? Both parents are dead, or I'd ask 'em.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Its been a practice attributed to cleanliness when preformed on babies of non-jewish descent.

On a less serious note however, here in America, we have Hot Dogs, not Tamales

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Occasionally some people have to be circumcised because their foreskin is too tight, It happened to a friend of mine when he was 14 or 15 and from what i remember it was very painful for him.

I seem to recall midwife's pulling the foreskin back on my sons when they were babies as a check for this, So it could be the answer.

Edited because i didn't read your parents are no longer with us, Apologies.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by ken10]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
It's pretty much just about aesthetics nowadays.

There were thoughts regarding ease of hygiene, but as long as one knows how to bathe it's not really an issue either way; so it basically boils down to the fact that western society finds a circumcised "member" more visually appealing.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Most likely you were circumcized because your father was. I was born 4 years before you. In those days, and right up until recently, it was a standard practice, at least within the U.S.

So your 'soldier' has a helmet. Y'know, it could've been worse. Somebody could have sneezed during the critical moment.

Cheers ;o)

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skelkie3
I was born on an Air Force base in 1962. USA.

It occurs to me that this is a bit strange... is it ?

Maybe it' s normal, but I'm curious to know.

Wait a minute... You're 46 yrs. old and just Now asking this/these type questions. ???

Not to dismiss your concern or question here but weren't there ample opportunities to inquire of such in the past?

As others have mentioned, circumcision is a rather common practice over the past few Decades. Not that it's Necessary, mind you, but many factors play into it being done as "procedure". Hygiene, religious belief [non-jewish even], "it's what you do", the doctors said it was needed, etc.

Why are you asking this... Now?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Skelkie3

My aren't we in a disclosing mood tonight?

No gently easing us into it for you.

If I may speak on behalf of most if not all of ATS: We don't know.

It is true that in the US, it is common practice to butcher first ask questions later. It is all part of our general "What you think you're better than me" attitude towards the universe.
We like our penises and presidents simple.

Europeans are more sneaky and mysterious, their penises reflect and celebrate their penchant for the ornate and their mastery of showmanship. Every foreskin has it's own special story.

We have clowns, they have harlequins.

Does that answer your question?

[edit on 8/14/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skelkie3

Hope I didn' t lose the best part !

Yeah, you did. So did I, as did many.

The foreskin produces lubrication and enhances the pleasure in sex in both partners. The very end also contains many nerve receptors which would increase male pleasure as well.

Visual appealling due to an expected "normal" look perhaps, but honestly we got the shaft due to popular ignorance.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
It's pretty much just about aesthetics nowadays.

western society finds a circumcised "member" more visually appealing.

By western you mean America? I belive most "western European countries do not circumcise, I could be wrong.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by StefanO

Alright, penis check time everybody, on 3 2 1 ...

Hey Stephan, not cool to fake us out with a pretend penis check.

I thought, as "members", we were all in this together.

[edit on 8/14/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
It's very possible that Reptilians need a certain food source from humans. It is intended to be sucked on in their mouth like a flavored treat. So I guess you could tell everyone that a Reptillian had it's way with you.

This is just hypothetical you understand. Just hypothetical.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Skelkie3

just so you know this isnt just a jewish
thing but something thats practiced by muslims

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlytOfHnd
It's very possible that Reptilians need a certain food source from humans. It is intended to be sucked on in their mouth like a flavored treat. So I guess you could tell everyone that a Reptillian had it's way with you.

This is just hypothetical you understand. Just hypothetical.

My god I just choked on a gummy bear reading that..

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

It was pretty sick, wasn't it. Hope I didn't offend you. Just having a little fun. My gracious apologies to you if I did.
PS Hope your Female!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
Its been a practice attributed to cleanliness when preformed on babies of non-jewish descent.

On a less serious note however, here in America, we have Hot Dogs, not Tamales

apparently it promotes healthy urological practices. for some reason. i dont know if i am or if im not.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I am one BTS member who is very glad that, in my parents pursuit of cleanliness,I wasn't "dismembered".
There have been a few case where a baby's penis was damaged beyond repair.
I know of some people who have been scarred for life because of a botched circumcision.I know it has to do about cleanliness and of course I can't really miss something ,I don't remember having.
I am just grateful it was done when I was young.I know a young black man who had it performed on him when he was in his late teens for sanitary reasons and he was in a lot of pain for weeks. Not a part of the body you want to have some one cutting on.
My question is ,"what is the religious significance of it"?

top topics

join