It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What push asteroids, comets and planets without thrust?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
We can see comets, asteroids and all kind of stuff flying in precise path useing some fly effect apparently without any input energy for thousands of years.

We all know how shuttle and space probes fly using rockets on low speed, but can someone tell me how planet earth fly nearly 30.000 miles/hour around sun without any trust in vacum and what kind of mechanic works behind this.
Is there any scientific paper to explain this.

Any opinion welcome.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
What 'pushes' them? Nothing. They are being pulled. In fact, when a celestial body is traveling in our solar system, it is in orbit. The Sun's gravitational pull occasionally pulls asteroids, comets, or what not either from the asteroid belt, or the Kuiper Belt. They are in a elliptical orbit. Just like the planets.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
they're pulled by gravity which is mass' "bending" of space.. and the surrounding bodies are "falling" towards that larger "dent".. the sun..

B3 - you kind of remind me of this anecdote Jordan Maxwell shared once.

He was walking in a parking lot and some kids were watching a comet and he stood and watched it with them.
they asked him what it was and he said its a comet.. etc.. told them about it.
then one of the kids said .. hey you seem smart.. we've been wondering.. what happens to the sun after it goes down?

these kids were around 19-20.. hanging out in a parking lot.

the dumbing down of America.. or the world masses for that matter.. is appalling.

-

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Let me be a little blunt and suggest you do an Internet search on "gravity," and "how planets move." This is basic physics, understood relatively well since Isaac Newton, elaborated upon by guys like Al Einstein.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Thats interesting word "pulled".
So “Van Allen” radiation belt is visual representation of space bending over planet?

Well I tryed that and finded that Isaac Newton law doesn't work in "non-Newton" gravity as space and Einsten tryed to marge gravity with electomagnetism as same force, and his theory doesnt explain why there is no equal bending of light in eclipse.

So how to bend space in front of small metal ball model?

[edit on 8/14/2008 by B3...]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
We've been having a few threads along similar lines today.
Has a teacher assigned physics homework on the first day of school?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
also keep in mind that a lot of objects scooting through the solar system have been pushed by other objects that collided with them.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I'm not sure what you mean by a visual representation, it's not easily visible.
en.wikipedia.org...

Wiki link on Van Allen for you.

I'm not sure why light should bend in a eclipse, while gravity would be affecting it, a eclipse occurs because the sun is being blocked from view by the moon, usually.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I don't get it mars has smaller mass then earth and fly behind earth. They fly clockwise and counterwise.
Why comet doesn't connect in some planet path?

Youtube

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by B3...

the comet is more or less revolving around the sun, it's speed generally prevents it from being drawn towards a planet.
As for Mars, actually there's a example of a planet catching passing objects. Both of it's moons are likely captured asteroids.

Comets dooccasionaly impact planets and moons, as do meteors and meteorites. Most of them, however, are to small to do more than make lights in the atmosphere.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Also saturn gravity seems to be close to earth gravity but we havent got rings and they are not on same ecliptic path, are they same in mass and space bending?

Weight

So gravity we feel and gravity between planets (where is no gravity) are two different effects?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

God, i hope not. if so, that teacher is going to need to retire early.

B3...have you tried to find your own answers? The questions you ask might be worthwhile, but the answers are so simple (i have no physics background, and manage a call center...you could call me a "layperson") and so well documented, i cannot believe that you haven't manage to stumble on the answer already.

Look it up, and pay special attention to the concepts of "gravity" and "centrifugal force". That will explain it all to you.

Saturn and Earth are two different planets, with different compositions. You cannot eat and orange and wonder why it doesn't taste like an apple. Different properties.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by B3...

Gravity is relative to mass and density, Saturn is not particularly dense, in fact, according to a book I read a while back, if there was a tub big enough, Saturn would float!
As for why it has rings, well, I'm not sure. Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune have rings as well, but Pluto doesn't.
The old theory was that the Sun has enough gravity to keep the inner planets from collecting enough junk to form rings.
Other than that, I'm no expert.
You may want to try a scientific forum, instead of a conspiracy site to get your answers.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by truth_seeker3

I have a question for you then. Does that mean that the planets are going to very slowly pick up speed over time? as they may have done already?

It wouldn't make sense to me that boom the sun appears and everything snaps into 30mph. Planets and such would seem to gradually gain speeds over time?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
The solar nebula from which the Sun and planets were born was rotating slowly. When it collapsed (due to having been perturbed by something; maybe a nearby supernova) the inner parts started speeding up (like an ice skater pulling in their arms to spin faster). The planets, asteroids, and comets coalesced from the material in the nebula, so they already possessed plenty of angular momentum as they were forming. Now that the original nebula has gone, all solar orbiting objects continue to move at the velocities that they originally attained unless acted upon by another force (since space is a vacuum, so there is nothing to slow them down).

Objects in nearly circular orbits move at nearly constant velocity. Objects in highly elliptical orbits move very fast when close to the Sun, and very slowly when near aphelion (furthest distance from the Sun). Comets and asteroids can have their orbits and velocities changed if they make close approaches to the planets (due to gravitational perturbations).

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Mogget]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by B3...
So gravity we feel and gravity between planets (where is no gravity) are two different effects?

There is plenty of gravity betwen the planets.

If I put you in a spaceship right between the orbits of Earth and Mars, the Sun's gravity would begin to make you fall toward the Sun, just like jumping from a tree on Earth would cause you to fall toward the Earth.

An important thing to realize is that an "orbit" is caused by gravity. Things in orbit are not floating free of gravity, but rather are "falling" toward the thing they are orbiting: The space station is "falling" toward the Earth and the Earth is "falling" toward the Sun. However, the space station and Earth (and everything else in an orbit) also have a motion "sideways" relative to the surface of the thing they are orbiting, so the don't hit the surface.

An orbit is caused by gravity, so the answer to your question "What pushes asteroids, comets and planets without thrust?" would be GRAVITY. Gravity (mostly the Su's gravity) causes the planets, asteroids and comets to move around the solar system.

[edit on 8/15/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
So does helium in hermetic container posses mass?
or does helium bends space and time?

I cant find anything how this element always repell from center of gravity in straight line. So Force = (mass of helium cloud * mass of earth) / r2 = ?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
edit to remove my off-topic concern for the part of my future which lies in the hands of todays ...ahem....youth.

and to add:
Put down the cellphones and ipods and pay attention in class, kids, they cover this stuff pretty early if I recall.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by tjack]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
MIT Opencourses Free online

Here are some free courses and they have some that cover this subject.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
If you're going to answer his/her questions...great, go for it.

If you are merely posting to insult the OP's intelligence or lack of education, stop now. There is no such thing as a dumb question.

seagull

top topics

<<   2 >>

join