It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US and Poland sign defence deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

US and Poland sign defence deal

news.bbc.co.uk

Poland has signed a preliminary deal with the US on plans to host part of the controversial US defence shield.

The proposal is for the US to base 10 missile interceptors in Poland in exchange for help strengthening Polish air defences.

The US says the system will protect itself and Europe against long range missile attacks by "rogue states".

Correspondents say the deal is expected to heighten tension between the US and Russia, which has condemned the plans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
tod ay.reuters.co.uk
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I think two questions are immediately obvious:

1) With the USA positioning herself alongside Georgia in the recent hostilities between Georgia and Russia, is this the best time to announce such a bold, controversial and divisive deal that will infuriate Russia further?

2) Would the USA tolerate either Poland (or a central American country) agreeing to host another country's defence shield?

I think many people here will condemn the USA for helping create an international atmosphere that is defined by its violence and (in answer to my second point) hypocrisy. How does one defend the timing (is it merely unfortunate or designed to make a timely point?) or the entire idea itself?

Should the EU be doing more to help Poland feel protected by European neighbours so she need not accept such a, potentially, troublesome scheme to the already volatile region? Or, will this help settle tensions that could arise between the CIS or ex-Soviet bloc nations?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Hmmmm we seem to be trying to stir the pot quite actively.

I wonder if GW wants to create a national emergency to hold off the elections?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Since there are 0 missiles other than Russian missiles that can reach anywhere near the propaosed bases - you can bet your bottom doller its aginst the russians.

new topics

top topics

join