It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do they stop a space shuttle in space??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Oh snap, now that I read the OP again, not thinking about the other thread, yeah. It uses rockets on the front to slow down. The maneuvering rockets appear as those holes you can see in the nose. If it really needs a lot of thrust to stop, it can use it's nose thrusters to turn around, then uses the bigger rockets on the back to stop.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Here's an idea, so future threads like this don't creep in again....

There are literally hundreds of sources of information available to answer the simple question the OP asks....

Ya know, does anyone remember what 'Skunk Works' refers to? It was the Top Secret division of Lockheed that developed the U-2 and the SR-22.....

This stuff, of course now de-classified.....but stuff is always going on, behind the 'smoke screen', so-to-speak....much like a skunk's 'smoke-screen' of smell.......

edit in the SR-22

[edit on 8/18/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Soo....how do you get off a frictionless lake?

do you just push both feet forward and when you fall you keep moving in that direction?

Or just wait for it to melt?

Or try jumping and breaking through the ice and then swimming?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by owzitgarn

lol okay use third law. Just throw your coat or whatever as hard as you can and you will get off.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by owzitgarn

Soo....how do you get off a frictionless lake?

do you just push both feet forward and when you fall you keep moving in that direction?

Or just wait for it to melt?

Or try jumping and breaking through the ice and then swimming?

Why that's easy. On a frictionless lake you'd just huff, and puff and blow yourself off!

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Val.....???? 'frictionless'???

No such thing....may as well assume Potential Energy exists....no wait! I meant Kinetic Energy!!! No wait....I meant a machine that that produces work, with no energy input.....OH! "Perpetual" Energy.....

Well....there is a theory of "Zero Point Energy"....but we're not discussing that right now. Friction exists, I think....regardless of the technology.

Entropy exists too.....hard to fight that one, it's there, ready to pounce, eventually.....

In the meantime, let's use up all the energy we can!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

Go for it!!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

It's not that I cannot grasp the concept, the concept itself is simple, I just don't understand why it works like it does.

But, I guess that when one knows the answer on that level, the universe has no secrets anymore.

[edit on 20/8/08 by enigmania]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by enigmania

Yeah I understand what you mean. Newton's laws are based on observation of nature. They predict the motion based on our observations. They do not explain "why" they do the way they do.

Steven Hawking once asked, "What breathe fire in the equations"

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Thank god, finally! I must've looked so stupid in this thread.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by enigmania

Correct with the farting but wrong with motion of body parts.
Flapping and kicking will keep you steady, because you are not constantly flapping or kicking in one direction to push you in the opposite, however if you could continuously fart then that would propell you through space, because gas leaves your body through the exhaust acting as a rocket.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Does this help

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

but wouldn't that be assuming that you were in a vacuum devoid of the air friction that you would have to overcome?

if i was in a situation like that i'd be more worried about the lack of air than getting off a lake

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The Shuttle uses attitude thrusters at the engine to flip
around and use main engines against their motion to stop.

This means they come in backwards.

Once into air normal flight can be used.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Just my 2euro;

Excluding a point of reference the shuttle doesn't stop, relative to people on the surface it incurs a velocity change through passing through a thick atmosphere at high speed, though it is still then moving around the sun with every1 else on the planet (etc)

Re how it changes velocity read Newtons third law as above;

Re why it changes velocity - it is skunkworks forum so personal opinion (/pseudoscience makebelieve etc) take with 2 pinches of salt etc; [] denotes alternative viewpoint;

Consider a mass in space at a fixed point in time
[ Both the mass and space are energy, mass being highly compressed nonliberated space, both are part of the same thing propagating through time - unchanging at the moment ]

Part of the Mass undergoes an acceleration
[ A part of this system converts rest mass into energy non uniformly ie.not due to uniform gravity]

The 2 mass move apart
[ The propagation through time of the now 2 masses is non uniformly disturbed proportional to the amount of rest mass converted (and the mass of the system) ]

And away!
[ The propagation of time through the new system has now resumed, however each of the masses is now propagating through time at a slightly slower rate due to the rest mass traded, so appearing to recede from the original pace of the space between the 2. ]

An attempt at why, enjoy! Hope it makes some sense, if not never mind!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by owzitgarn

but wouldn't that be assuming that you were in a vacuum devoid of the air friction that you would have to overcome?

if i was in a situation like that i'd be more worried about the lack of air than getting off a lake

lol yeah. Well, the hypothetical situation and question was to illustrate the SAME principle that is being used in space. In other words, it works EVERYWHERE (well, there may be corners of the universe where the laws of physics are different).

enigmania understands Newton's third law. What he is essentially asking is WHAT makes this law work. What breathes fire in the equations and make them work to describe the universe? There are really no good answer to that.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
The Shuttle uses attitude thrusters at the engine to flip
around and use main engines against their motion to stop.

This means they come in backwards.

Once into air normal flight can be used.

No, they don't use main engines on orbit and they don't "stop".

They use the APUs for the retro-burn (if that is what you are talking about).

[edit on 8-30-2008 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

ermmmmm....Valhall...didn't you mean to say the OMS....not APU?

AND.....just to be clear, something that is 'orbiting' the Earth never "stops"....not unless it has some Star Trek technology, or something.

Things in orbit remain there because they are continuously falling back towards Earth. But, their velocity is such, that as they fall, the Earth curves away beneath. It's how moons orbit their planets, and how planets orbit their stars.

Back to a space ship....increase to velocity a bit, and you can 'escape' to a higher orbit, or even a trajectory away from a gravitational body.

Conversely, reduce speed, and you will begin to 'fall' back to the surface.

Tesla thought the Shuttle comes in backwards...it doesn't. The Main Engines do not work, once the Main Fuel Tank is gone...no more fuel. The OMS are used, though....a burn against the direction of motion (so THAT would be 'backwards') followed by use of the RCS to provide proper orientation for re-entry....basically nose-first, and belly-first. That's why they have all those neat-o special tiles, that cause so many headaches.

How am I doing, Valhall???

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Valhall

ermmmmm....Valhall...didn't you mean to say the OMS....not APU?

I'm an idiot and you're right. Sorry. The confusion for me comes from how we learned this maneuver. It was referred to as "burning the APUs" meaning "expend their fuel". I have made this same mistake before in a previous post on another thread. But basically, yeah, the rear thrusters are fired and the APUs are emptied.

[edit on 8-31-2008 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Ah yes.....and no, you're not an 'idiot'....so many acronyms, so little time....(a joke)

I think, and for the bvenefit of our greater audience, using up the supply of 'fuel' in the APUs was, you'll agree, only done up to a point. Didn't want to rely on battery power, as the only electrical source. ALSO, wanted to expend as much of that poisionous waste, while on orbit....but that's why we have checklists!

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The reason I posted this was because the physics world does not seem to apply in space properly and I hope that some agree that this is the case.

I already know the textbook version of why this occurs but it is simple ludicrous that an object can move without force over something else in todays physics.

So basically if i were able to exist in space without a suit if i were to sneeze I would exert a force upon my own snotters lol and drift endlessly forever.

Ok albert you the man.

It just seems to me that physicians can call the earth 1 and the moon 2 and declare that the toilet will flush right because of some gravitational shift due to the axis of the moon and sun that equals pee.

I have a degree in physics but i just disagree with the textbooks folks dont some?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join