It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is cleanliness a virtue?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Me and you both Seagrass. Hubby must have been a military man. I find if I take them out just a little humid and hang them in the cool basement they dry very nicely with little to no wrinkles. Nice to see you.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
reply to post by seagrass

I am VERY organized. Seriously. Everything has its place. I buy storage containers for everything.
My desk - exceptionally organized. Im this way at home and when I work.

I do not keep extra stuff. Meaning, I hate clutter and I go thru my entire house all the time and get rid of things. I keep things that I use and things that have special meaning to me (gifts, etc).

I have moved often in my life...and I always purge before I do. And I purge a lot
I throw things out (trash) and give most stuff to charities (good will, etc).

My house is NOT baren, but it is clutter free, minus all the toys, etc that my daughter has. It does look lived in...I guess that is a plus
What would you do if I came to your house and messed up your drawers? Would you be able to work at your desk? Or would you HAVE to clean it first?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Me and you both Seagrass. Hubby must have been a military man. I find if I take them out just a little humid and hang them in the cool basement they dry very nicely with little to no wrinkles. Nice to see you.
Ha ha ha nope, Car Salesman. LMAO. Second husband is Military and he does "just enough to get by". (he over-packs though!)

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
You are pushing it with the drawers seagrass. Rofl! Some people are so tightly wound with the perfection thing those might be fightin' words.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

You are pushing it with the drawers seagrass. Rofl! Some people are so tightly wound with the perfection thing those might be fightin' words.
Ha! I know, I have had "dukes, come on!" looks when I have had to fight with someone, either to let it go, or to make them see reason as to why they might need that someday. ( they spent good money on it for c-sake!)

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I think some people just take cleanliness and overliness way over the top.
You can eat off of some peoples garage floors. I especially like some who go out and edge their lawns with a knife. Now c'mon. I have to laugh.

[edit on 8/14/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I told one lady that had an obsession with craft supplies, that she can NEVER, buy another paintbrush. As I went through all her bags that hadn't been put away, each "project" had at least 3-5 paintbrushes in there. I found them in every drawer, box, bin, corner. She ended up with 2 pails full (FULL) of them. She is so stubborn, I am sure she is sneaking paintbrushes while I am not looking.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I think some people just take cleanliness and overliness way over the top.
You can eat off of some peoples garage floors. I especially like some who go out and edge their lawns with a knife. Now c'mon. I have to laugh.

yes, lawn scissors, once a week too. I have seen that. I wouldn't be able to do it without laughing.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Are you a social worker seagrass? I used to work homecare so I've seen both sides of the extreme. I'd need extreme doses of haldol to manually do that by hand. My 4cycl 3 hrsp whacker does just fine.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Are you a social worker seagrass? I used to work homecare so I've seen both sides of the extreme.
Yeah, I guess I would fall into that category. I organize for people, people ask for my help on lots of things. I have been a "social worker" since about the age of 12. Worked as an advocate for victims of crime. Domestic violence, rape, and molestation.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I am actually quite curious about the whole thing. It has been an issue for some time. I just wonder if I really can help them. One lady paid me a lot of money to get her home under control. When I went back it was back to the original condition. She really didn't want to change, but the pressure to be "like others" was strong enough to let her pay me.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Keeping up with the Jones's. Wouldn't want Martha coming in and do the white glove on her and say Johnny can't come over to play anymore. I don't think a few dry few loops in the couch cushions every hurt anyone.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Keeping up with the Jones's. Wouldn't want Martha coming in and do the white glove on her and say Johnny can't come over to play anymore. I don't think a few dry few loops in the couch cushions every hurt anyone.

Maybe it's all Martha's fault. We should change it to keeping up the the Stewarts.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

suppose that depends on where exactly your piercings are!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Exactly. Unrealistic expectations of perfection. You know she threw a rotted ham at her neighbors in the Hamptons for some perceived buggery.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Exactly. Unrealistic expectations of perfection. You know she threw a rotted ham at her neighbors in the Hamptons for some perceived buggery.
I can't believe she would have anything "rotted" at her place. lol. It's a lot of pressure being perfect.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Rofl. That threw me too. She must have left in the sun with the sun tea for a special occasion. Which she clearly had in mind. I guess their glade candles were rankling her nose because they were not French.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Rofl. That threw me too. She must have left in the sun with the sun tea for a special occasion. Which she clearly had in mind. I guess their glade candles were rankling her nose because they were not French.
Well, we all know why the French NEED candles and linen spray... Don't we?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
I wonder why the obsession to be magazine perfect has taken over so many.

I see I'm late to the party again. But RL was calling...no not Ralph Lauren, Real Life.

This could easily be added to my list of things to let go of that people are unnecessarily obsessed with. I'm not obsessed with cleaning but I can't do something in a dirty or disorganized environment. I can't cook in a messy kitchen or work at a messy desk. I must clean first.

I clean to relieve stress. If I'm upset I'll go and find something that needs cleaning, polishing, organizing and when I'm done I feel so much better. Plus I'm cleaner and more organized.

Cleanliness is definitely a virtue in my opinion. If someone lives in a pigsty it makes me think they don't respect themselves. Now messy is different than dirty. Busy people tend to be messy. But there is no excuse for being dirty, not even poverty. It doesn't take anything to take a shower and make sure there aren't used plates everywhere.

For all you non ironers out there, here's another tip. If you have something that's wrinkly and can be put into the dryer, take a hand towel and wet it down. Not so it's soaking...you have to wring it out first. Then put it in the dryer with the garment you want to dewrinkle for 5 or so minutes on medium heat. Voila! Wrinkle free!

Yes, I am a domestic goddess and yes, I love Martha Stewart!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I agree, that even in poverty, people should take pride in being clean. Does depression and low self esteem lead to lack of a need for cleanliness? I see minimalist decorating taking hold, and so even in poverty, you could have a nice place. I think of vacation cottages that have just the bare necessities, and they are nice and clean.
But most of the homes around here that are in poverty, have junk everywhere. It is almost as if they just like to have stuff around, and they don't care what it is.
On the other hand, some of the hoarders I know, have plenty of money. They just have something that makes them need to get more.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join