It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who owns the rain water? Not you apparently!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This has to be one of the most rediculous things ive ever heard in my life, apparently you need a water right to collect rain and water your flowers in your own garden, I think ill go and have a swim in the sea, hope i dont get arrested for trespassing.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Truther

This is such BS. I can only guess why they'd enact a law such as this. Not sure about where this car dealership is, but here in Ontario Canada we pay for our water usage and disposal. Coincidentally, the company that bills us doesn't measure actual disposal, instead using a 100% rule. 100% going in, must be going back out.

So of course, if this car dealership has to pay for water, the water company is going to get pissy because they don't get to charge for the water usage, and if the water is not going into the building via piping, they also can't charge the disposal going out.

I applaud this man for trying to do something earth friendly...I'm sure his first thought as a business man was also to save some $$ but so what. If he were washing a hundred cars a day some environmental lobbyists would probably be picketing him.

In the end you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

My father in law uses a rain barrel system to collect water for his gardens and is in the process of setting us up with the same system. The law can kiss my bum on this one

Michelle

edit to add: if rain water doesn't belong to me, there'd better be someone on their way to bail out my leaky basement!! I wonder if I can get fined for "collecting" rain water in my basement.....

[edit on 14-8-2008 by Michelle129]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Truther

I guess we can also be charged for using gravity , and breathing air. Laws such as these are scary.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by eradown]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Well guys thats the US, and just shows how all peoples are loosing their rights, bit by bit.

Its been going on for ever in the UK!
In the UK the current privatized water companies own any water that falls to a certain height above the house, differant amounts depending on the Deeds, and all that falls below that point and lands on the ground.

This is from laws brought in when the "Water Board" existed in the UK and was a state Monopoly!

Of course this is a matter of conjecture, as ultimately the Queen by proxy still is the Landlord of the entire UK, even freeholders are under the queen, she in theory owns all of it. (of course its devolved since parlimant to local authorities etc.)

Kind Regards,

Elf.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
This is insane! Water covers 70 percent of the surface, and there is a license needed to gather rain? Fresh water are several percents of it, of course, but it is very easy to turn sea water into fresh. Cheaper and easier to pass idiotic laws, i guess.
Eradown, please do not give them any more ideas. I wonder what will be the penalty of non-licensed gravity user.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well Canada wants to tax on all CO2 emission so we've got the breathing part covered... the exhale at least.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Next thing will be the IRS charging Early Termination Fees on your life.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Johnson but your husband wasn't scheduled to expire until he was 84. You owe us $24,000."

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
During the Klinton administration, the clown that was running the EPA tried to get a ruling that everyone who had a drive way or patio to pay for all the water that fell on it because they said it was poluted so it should be taxed. Looks like all those articles on home gardening and saving rain water instead of city water for your gardens just went out the window!!

What crap. time to drown a few of these pitiful bureaucrats!!!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
They should strictly enforce this!

Then, any damages done to your property by "thier" falling rain, they will be responsible for. If they posess the rights to the water, then they should also be subject to any destruction that thier property causes!

Edit for spelling.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by Taledus]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Taledus

Dang, you beat me to it! I agree with you 100%! If it's their water, it's their problem. Heck, even tornadoes. They're brought by the storms that deliver "their" water so it's no different than if the armored truck delivering "their" payroll hits my kid in the street!

Also, if the water that falls on my roof belongs to them, and it drains wherever it drains to, then gets processed and returned to me through a pipe aren't I just cutting out the middle-man?

--Apex

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
In Australia the governent were offering rebates for water tanks to conserve our dwindling supplies (in the peak of the drought mind you - what would the tanks catch?!?) they then came up with the idea of charging the people for this water (Obviously since they could not charge water rates for mains water). this idea was quickly dismissed, but the fact they even considered it was ridiculous!!!
On the bright side, you didn't need a permit though.....

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Now we know who is responsible for water damage and flooding, no need for insurance. You come get your water out of my house and repair the damages. Next time be more careful where you put your water.

And of course they are responsible for all weather related road accidents.

It's their mositure, someone call them and tell em to come get their fog off the road!

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Water is going to be the next oil so everyone is in a landgrabof sorts over the water supplies of the world.

When we all have the right to water. I hate the world sometimes.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
this is not new guys and in fact is not the case every where. it all depends on your state (usa) and town/city.

here in the west it is a very common practice because of the scarcity of water and inter-state-water-pacts. colorado has a commitment to see that a certain amount of water passes into new mexico and then new mexico has a commitment to see that a certain amount of water passes into texas for example.

some places though allow citizens to capture water, santa fe new mexico is an example of such a place. still it is not legal for the city to capture water. and it all has to do with meeting water requirement rights with other states.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
this is not new guys and in fact is not the case every where. it all depends on your state (usa) and town/city.

You're right, it's not new. They've been slipping in their "water claims" slowly & unobtrusively, here & there...
At GovTrack, there's a small text-box near the upper-right hand corner of the screen so you can track certain ongoing legislation in Congress...Type in the keywords, "Water Restoration Act of 2007" or "H.R. 2421" to see how far they've already gone & what's going on right now. Read the Summary of HR 2421 & see how they want to extend the term "navigable waters" to include all waters for gaining control. Keep in mind that HR 2421 is only one measure in a long list of what they're up to!

Also, if you Search ATS with the keywords, "water" & "act" you'll get several threads about how Bush had tried to dismantle the Clean Water Act.

Also, there's an earlier ATS thread that's closely related to this specific topic of "rain water"...Right over here.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

top topics

join