It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot With Biological Brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Pretty amazing.

Link

Scientists have created a robot controlled by a biological brain made of rat neurons.

The robot, named Gordon, is not exactly an Einstein but represents a remarkable bridging of the gap between biology and technology. Gordon relies a dish with about 60 electrodes to pick up electrical signals generated by the brain cells.

The brain drives the robot's movements.

Every time the robot nears an object, signals are directed to stimulate the brain by means of the electrodes, the researchers explained in a statement released today by the University of Reading in England. In response, the brain's output drives the robot's wheels left and right, so that it moves around in an attempt to avoid hitting objects.

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by asala]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
One step closer to the Borg! All joking aside, that's pretty amazing. It's not like that experiment where they had a cockroach drive a little car, it's just the brain doing the work, pretty neat. It makes me wonder when we'll be able to start programing electrical signals to specific parts of the brain through an inserted chip. You would turn in to Data from Star Trek. Ok, enough Trek references.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It was inevitable that we would continue our move towards integrating technology and biology.
I suspect that there will be a lot of people who will raise concerns over this kind of science but personally i have no problem with it.
As the human race evolves and we evolve our technology alongside then it would make sense to marry the two.
Imagine the worlds most awesome "computer" the human brain married to the latest technology, if a rats neurons can be used to control the robot then i would suggest that it would be possible using human neurons.

It has been suggested before that mankind will reach a certain level of biological development or evolution that is our natural peak from then on will evolve through technologically integrating with the human body.

I can imagine that with the level of genetics and technology in the near future that the human race could be in control of its own evolution.
Modified genes inserted into the body to encourage it to accept technologicl implants.

Another posibility is that of organic technology.
Computers that function more like a human brain than a conventional computer, that use tissues and biological parts to funtion instead of just pure technology.
Instead of information comming from say the dvd-drive to the motherboard via an ide or sata cable, the information being carried in biological nerves based on those of the human body.
Cars, aircraft and even spacecraft whos outer shell is formed by living and self regenerating cells, a sort of living skin composing the outside of the vehicle.

The more we learn to mate biology with technology, the greater possibilities open up to mankind.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicka

I have actually watched the video regarding this and it was truly creepy!

I can understand the reason why this was created and I believe it will be a tool to aid the understanding of how the brain works and how it can be utilised to a higher level.

However, I can't help feeling that this is the start of "bigger" things to come and I'm not so sure that by researching in this area will lead to greater things...

Actually, I believe it could be very negative, look at the Terminator series, personally I never used to take much notice of storylines in films, but nowadays as they are increasingly becoming true I have started to wonder...

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by full997

The sole integration between humans and computers, in my oppinion will ultimately lead to our downfall. Computers, unlike humans, do not feel emotion, they compute and calculate in the most realistic manner.

A computer weapons system would not think twice about exterminating an entire population to achieve its goal, even if that population was thousands of innocent civilians,

Thats were humans are needed, and thats the main plot in any computer vs man film

Scary, but increasingly possible ....

top topics

join