It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wind whips up health fears

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

This is why i've always supported wind farms being put out to sea or small generators on homes. The small generators don't produce these problems a nd can provide a quarter to a half of one homes worth of energy. Wind farms really need to be situated far from residents, as they are in places like wales in the UK.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I don't think the noise these things generate is any worse than living near a main road in a town or city, what with doors slamming, drunken revellers, traffic noise & sirens. As to electromagnetic fields, you get that with just about any electrical item ever made & unless we go back to the dark ages we'll just have to learn to mitigate its effects.

"Yes, these windfarms are causing me severe headaches", said Mrs Miggins as she weeped & wailed into her brand new Nokia cellphone. "Windfarms should be banned".

I find windfarms kinda therapeutic to look at & on a (very) good day I can see two of the largest windfarms in Europe at Forth & Eaglesham (Scotland). Very impressive. Scotland's well on target to generate 50% of its electricity from renewables by 2020. Not many nations can say that.

Windfarms ? Totally benign objects, harmless to all & sundry.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

You are missing the point i'm afraid, we are talking about sounds you don't audibly hear, these sounds have been shown to affect the human mind and body. The examples you give are audible and so different. Whether wind farms create these sounds is up for debate, however i don't see the point in bulding them near residential areas.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
So the debate's about inaudible sound which maybe exists and maybe doesn't and which might cause some effect on the human mind & body. An awful lot of ifs and buts in this theory.

Even if we suppose such a phenomenon exists how would windfarms be worse than any other object which moves around in circles ... or in any other direction for that matter ?

It's not missing the point, really. It's just pointing out a lack of science.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Niall197
So the debate's about inaudible sound which maybe exists and maybe doesn't and which might cause some effect on the human mind & body. An awful lot of ifs and buts in this theory.

Even if we suppose such a phenomenon exists how would windfarms be worse than any other object which moves around in circles ... or in any other direction for that matter ?

It's not missing the point, really. It's just pointing out a lack of science.

Well, considering we've built a trillion dollar international industry combating the specter of human caused global warming which might be happening in a manner different from that which it has always changed and which we might be a contributing factor of and which also suffers from a serious lack of science, I think it's rather hypocritical to dismiss the counter point to this form of green energy using those criteria. The fact is something is causing people to suffer from abnormal maladies and the only connection so far observed is that the people suffering from said maladies live near wind farms. I believe we've passed the what and the where stages of the scientific process and are now in the why and how stages... as in why is this happening and how can it be remedied. One possible answer is the turbines are causing it and the solution for that is to move them away from the people suffering.

My God, we recall millions of tons of produce & meats costing farmers millions of dollars every few weeks over slight possibillities that the product may have traces of E. Coli or salmonela on it based on a handfull of illnesses out of hundreds of thousands of consumptions, but don't you DARE try and mess with our green energy solutions!!! Yeah, that's sound scientific logic.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Dr Amanda Harry (G.P) has done some studies, as have other Drs'.

Dr Amanda Harry, a local GP who did the research, said: "People demonstrated a range of symptoms from headaches, migraines, nausea, dizziness, palpitations and tinnitus to sleep disturbance, stress, anxiety and depression. These symptoms had a knock-on effect in their daily lives, causing poor concentration, irritability and an inability to cope."

Dr Harry said that low-frequency noise - which was used as an instrument of torture by the Germans during the Second World War because it induced headaches and anxiety attacks - could disturb rest and sleep at even very low levels.

"It travels further than audible noise, is ground-borne and is felt through vibrations," she said. "Some people are having to leave their homes to get away from the nuisance. Yet, despite their obvious suffering, little is being done to relieve the situation and they feel that their plight is ignored."

Similar problems have been found by Dr Bridget Osborne, a doctor in Moel Maelogan, a village in North Wales, where three turbines were erected in 2002. She has presented a paper to the Royal College of General Practitioners detailing a "marked" increase in depression among local people.

Telegraph

As for their locations on peat moors.... For every tonne of peat dug up, 70 % is stored CO2.

70% of every tonne means that in just this alone, the wind farm should never be built. Why? because in its 25 year life span the entire farm cannot compensate for the CO2 dug up from sighting ONE turbine in peat.

Thats why the isle of Lewis windfarm failed. An ecological disaster if it had gone ahead.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Wind turbines ain't exactly rocket science. Three blades turning in the wind n'all. You might as well make a case for blaming the washing on the line, next doors cat or the grass.

It's that daft a theory, sorry, but it really is. I try to be receptive to new theories, concepts etc but some are just so vexatious & without foundation they can be dismissed without any debate whatever. For me this is one of them.

[exits]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Wind turbines ain't exactly rocket science. Three blades turning in the wind n'all. You might as well make a case for blaming the washing on the line, next doors cat or the grass.

It's that daft a theory, sorry, but it really is. I try to be receptive to new theories, concepts etc but some are just so vexatious & without foundation they can be dismissed without any debate whatever. For me this is one of them.

[exits]

Good job your not a Dr then. Real Drs' have found links to ill health. If ignorance is bliss, you must be the happiest person on earth.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

I don't think the noise these things generate is any worse than living near a main road in a town or city, what with doors slamming, drunken revellers, traffic noise & sirens. As to electromagnetic fields, you get that with just about any electrical item ever made & unless we go back to the dark ages we'll just have to learn to mitigate its effects.

Windfarms ? Totally benign objects, harmless to all & sundry.

You know... I can't be in the same room as those "high freq" wall plugins that are supposed to get rid of rodents.

it gives me a SEVERE headache. But most others around me don't sense it. It's like medication man, you may not get the side effect, that doesn't mean others won't too.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

WHAT????? A wind turbine causing health problems!!!!!!!!! Give me a break.... it is obvious this lady who started crying already has some kind of "issue" and it isn't a physiological one either.

-Euclid

[edit on 15-8-2008 by euclid]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by euclid
reply to post by nyk537

WHAT????? A wind turbine causing health problems!!!!!!!!! Give me a break.... it is obvious this lady who started crying already has some kind of "issue" and it isn't a physiological one either.

-Euclid

[edit on 15-8-2008 by euclid]

Why the quick dismissal?

If the fan in the bathrrom downstairs is on, I don't sleep much at all. That causes me fatigue etc.

I agree, that it's not something that's going to effect everyone, but you just seemed so mean dismissing this woman without the first thought that maybe she was being genuine.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
You know... I can't be in the same room as those "high freq" wall plugins that are supposed to get rid of rodents.

it gives me a SEVERE headache. But most others around me don't sense it. It's like medication man, you may not get the side effect, that doesn't mean others won't too.

Same here Quazga. My whole family is sensitive. They literally make you feel like you're about to go crazy after a few days of exposure. Not everyone hears them however, and simply dismisses your complaints as being psychosomatic.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by euclid

Did you even read the article or the rest of this thread?

It's a possibility that some people can suffer from negative effects from being in close proximity to wind mills. So what?

This whole "green" thing is getting way out of hand.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Sure, some people are sensitive to EMF, but they would be required to get extremely close to the wind mills. They are not generating a wide range of RF or anything. Really, lets believe every article printed, newspapers are never wrong.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by boo radley

Sure, and while we're at it, why don't we believe every environmental extremist who claims that things like this are completely harmless and without downside?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Back to coal it is then. Sorry we disturbed your party.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

The quick dismissal is because it is a psychological issue. The lady started crying because she saw one being "constructed"..... that is a clear indication to me that she is already emotionally/psychologically disturbed. People who are psychologically balanced (i.e. - normal) do not cry when they see something being built/constructed. They usually cry when events occur like their dog/friend/relative dies or they lose $5000 at the track and suddently realize that they can't make their house payment that month.

Additionally this "new" research is nothing more than the common and pervasive strategy of a "corporate medical conspiracy". They, a consortium of medical associations, research facilities, pharmaceutical companies, et al, create phobias, neurosis, syndromes and a host of other non-sensical ailments so that they can "feed/bleed" off the feeble-minded in society. Face the facts..... most of the people out there are feeble-minded and are hypochondriacs. When they see a commerical that advertises a new drug to solve some ailment they think to their self, "hey.... i have a runny nose I think I'll go to the doc and get a prescription for allegra".... due to the pervasive nature of information exchange via various media they hear of new research and say.... "OMG a windmill! I'm gonna have night-fright!!!"...

It's non-sense.... the lady has other issues that aren't being caused by a windmill..... they are being caused by her mind.

-Euclid

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

As a matter of fact I did read the article and it carrys about as much weight as all the crazy eco-nazi articles & studies I've read about how humans are to blame for every thing from earth quakes, species extinctions, global warming, et al ad infinitum. It's another example of green-quackery.

-Euclid

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Actually there have been reports of wind turbines being loud enough to be a major issue. It happened where I live, though I wasn't close enough to be effected.

My guess is that some company isn't putting any kind of insulation around the gear box inside the turbine and so a lot of noise is leaking out.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by euclid
reply to post by Quazga

The quick dismissal is because it is a psychological issue. The lady started crying because she saw one being "constructed"..... that is a clear indication to me that she is already emotionally/psychologically disturbed.

yep.. and if you were affected by this it would bother you as well. AND if you were a female you wouldbe more likely to shed a tear.

Look, one day when I was 16 I was "crusing broadway". Some drunk came out of one of the bars and through a sucker punch into the car I was sitting in. It knocked out a tooth, and I was taken completely by surprise.

To this day,( I am 36) I have issues driving down that road.

Does that make me imbalanced? No, it's called acute PTSD.

Get a clue.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join