It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Good Survival Quiz

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Thanks for posting these. It was fun seeing how I might do in the wild. I still would rather have that flint and steel over the Bic because they would never run out of gas. The second quiz I got:

Overall survival IQ 82
Ability to stay alive 99
Ability to protect yourself from the elements 99
Ability to catch attention 48

Gotta work on that last one!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
missed 1 i guess i didnt see the cell phone on question 16 as a survival tool, i cant call at home with it let alone out in the wilderness i guess ill have to bring a portable genterator to keep the piece of junk charged batteries usualy die on me.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Your overall survival IQ is 82.
Your ability to stay alive is 99%
Your ability to protect yourself from the elements is 99%
Your ability to catch the attention of your rescuers is 48%

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The question about Water, says the answer is "3 days" - which isn't true. They phrase the question (you could die in as little as...) - Well, in the Sonoran desert, if you are caught out in the desert you can die in as little as three hours with out water.

Also, they say "3 hours" to shelter, which while that maybe true, again this depends on the situation. If you are in Alaska in December, sure you could die that quick, but you would have to be an idiot hanging out in the snow with no insulation.

So, "the rule of 3's" is a general guideline but totally depends on your status at the beginning of the "survival" period, the climate, and your activities.

I scored:

Your total score is : 16

Comment : You might just survive, keep up the good work!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I took this quiz too, since I'm a long distance backpacker, and while I scored a perfect score on this one, much of it does indeed depend upon where you are and your personal situation.
If you were say, on the Pacific Crest Trail, or the Continental Divide Trail, a cell phone would be absolutely worthless along much of either trail. You would be better off with a satellite phone or even a ham radio- my vote is for the ham radio.
And like others have said, the water situation too can be variable. In the desert regions, water consumption is much more critical than say, in a temperate forest where it's 70 degrees and shady, and one isn't breaking a sweat.

My best advice to anyone out there is to always, ALWAYS, carry the "10 essentials" when out and about in the wilderness, even if only out for a dayhike. If you don't know what those are, I would advise you to look them up now. Be smart, don't get caught out. It isn't enough to carry this equipment, know how to use each and every piece of gear in your kit. Remember, it can save your life.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
First i do not use BICs the spark wheel can be very hard to use if your hands are very cold or have been wet for a period.
I use a lighter with a pisoelectric striker.

2 a cell phone if it works is great but they seldom work in true back-country.

Get a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon)
en.wikipedia.org...
www.northernmountain.com...

I have been stranded in the sierras in the winter in 6 foot of snow and the desert of Calif near Death Valley in the summer. I have always been able to walk out.

One trick i always use when 4 wheeling in the desert is that i collect 2 liter soda bottles and when i go 4 wheeling on remote dirt roads i leave one full of water buried, mapped, and marked about every two miles along the road.
then if i break down i can walk out.

At the 4 wheeler club meeting once a month we get together and mark a master map of water drops. This has helped other 4 wheelers get out more then once.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Your overall survival IQ is 99.
Your ability to stay alive is 99%
Your ability to protect yourself from the elements is 99%
Your ability to catch the attention of your rescuers is 99%

I guess that's the benefit of working in the wild all the time...

But then again, I only got a 17 on the first one.
BIC lighters suck! I've never been able to use them.
Am I the only one? You people and your magic thumbs... Grr. I missed the one about the kit with the cellphone, too. Who says I want to be found?

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by red 5
reply to post by LLoyd45

I was born and lived 40 years in Wyoming, every year we get some snowmobilers lost deep in the woods. They all carry cell phones these days and it works. Something about grabbing the closest tower in an emergency.

sorry but i kind of have to disagree with the cellphones working in wyoming well certain parts that is if you ever go thru south pass you will find out that you phone only works in a few spots along the way and the little rest area is not one of them spots but in general i would agree a phone is a good piece of survival gear

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Great find, LLoyd!

I missed the one on knife blades, but got the rest right. I agree with some comments here; there would be different answers depending on where and what time of year one was lost...

I haven't taken the ocean one; might at some point. But I don't do water things, so I'll take my chances on that...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join