It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Good Survival Quiz

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave

Agreed, Lloyd, but the point I was making (apparently not successfully) was my priorities differed from those of the test.

A small scrape, cuts, etc. are not medical emergencies. Working in the ER we get those all the time and I always have to ask the person, "HOW is this an emergency?" Such things do require medical treatment but can usually wait a few minutes. If I get a broken leg in the middle of a blizzard, I'm going to make a shelter first, then a fire (to keep from going into shock and to melt some water to wash away the blood so I can see to deal with my leg), then deal with my leg.

And you're right. Crapping yourself is the first thing you do when attacked by a bear. I think it's in all the manuals.

In critical care nursing we have a joke that goes:
Q: What's the first thing you do in a code blue?
A: Check your own pulse.

Nursing humor....it's an aquired taste.

Sorry White wave if it sounded like I was disagreeing with you, I was just off on one of my own tangents. I do that more and more often as I get older.

Being in critical care nursing must be pretty exciting! I was a EMT for a short time, but I didn't like the idea that peoples lives depended upon my personal knowledge and skills.. Too much responsibility.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
That was fun, Lloyd, thanks!

I scored 19 with the comment: "A born survivor", which means only that my reasoning closely parellels that of the person who created the test.

I missed #12: "Answer to 12 is A: A bic lighter can start a hell of a lot more fires than matches. It's quick and easy to use, and therefore the best tool". I disagree. I chose (c) flint and steel, as flint and steel will start a HELL of a lot more fires than a Bic lighter, and it won't get broken in your kit when you need it the most. Suppose your beloved Bic gets broken. Who among us could then use the micro flint inside and get the fuel from inside it? I'd hate to have to depend upon it. I have four flint&steels and a couple of magnesium strips. One of the F&S is over 20 years old, and it's now on my key ring. yah.

'twas enjoyable, thanks for sharing it. I'm now going to take a look at the other one you linked.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I think he views the Bic lighter as a convenience item that most people could readily use. I keep both. I like redundancy in my gear.
good luck on the second quiz! Remember, you can go back and change your answers as well to see the logic behind the scoring.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well, that one was fun as well:

To combat the direct rays of the sun, you place the plastic over you. Thirst is quenched by sipping from the can of water. No fish are caught, seems to be a bad area for fishing! Hunger is satisfied with the C rations. You notice a plane flying overhead, so you pour some oil/gas onto the waters and light it. A plane flies overhead during the day, you use your mirror to shine a reflection of the sun to catch their attention.
You have endured many hazards with little harm to your health. Your thoughts turn towards finding means of protecting yourself from exposure. The fish caught have not been suitable for eating, your rations continue to deminish. After days of waiting for rescue, you still have your stamina! You are noticed and rescued! The plane sees the reflected light and identifies you, you have been found!

Your overall survival IQ is 83.
Your ability to stay alive is 99%
Your ability to protect yourself from the elements is 51%
Your ability to catch the attention of your rescuers is 99%

Yaaaaaay! We've been found! Now all I have to do is figure out WHY in the HELL I was on a yacht in the south Pacific without an EPIRB. Bad business, that. I'm firing my crew too, as ONE of us should've been sending a mayday with coordinates instead of helping to put out the fire. Well..... at least the rubber dinghy was saved
To bad about the rum.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Yep. Redundancy is cheap insurance. I don't keep any Bics as they are (IMO) one of those things a person wants to count on, and we think they're a 'forever' thing, so we don't maintain them. I do keep two Zippo lighters, in a small tin with fuel, wicks and flints.

This is good information, and I thank you for bringing it. Sort of along those lines, have you seen the solar distillers that are a radiant dome made out of pastic? Especially useful for deriving potable water from seawater. Seems like a person could fabricate something smaller than the huge ones being sold...... maybe several smaller "nesting" versions, that take up less room.

Gotta get back to work. This was the perfect lunchtime diversion -- entertaining, educational and information that will stick until a person needs it.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

No problem, Lloyd. Wasn't ragging on you. Just pointing out that all tests are biased toward the thinking, attitudes and value system of the tester. I still enjoy taking them.

Being an EMT is probably more exciting than critical care nursing. By the time we get the patient, you guys already have them pretty much stabilized or well on the way to it.

Know what you mean about getting older. *sigh* Won't be able to outrun any hypothetical bears. Just going to have to put on my granny glasses, steady my parkinsonian shakes and take aim. If the dementia allows me to remember that that's what I'm supposed to do.

Thanks for the entertainment provided with the tests.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
99 - born survivor. ROFL.

Seems I been spending too much time on ATS survival forum

Where the second test? Oh and great find. Like it.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
20/20 WOOHOO!!

Yeah I cheated..
I found this test about 3-4 months ago and got 16 then..
I still disagree about the Bic over the firesteel though..Anyone TRIED getting one of those to work reliably??
The least bit wind and you're stuffed.

And anyone who has a phone that GUARANTEES reception in the country then gimme your network provider.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
20/20 WOOHOO!!

Yeah I cheated..
I found this test about 3-4 months ago and got 16 then..
I still disagree about the Bic over the firesteel though..Anyone TRIED getting one of those to work reliably??
The least bit wind and you're stuffed.

And anyone who has a phone that GUARANTEES reception in the country then gimme your network provider.

The only advantage that I can that the Bic has is, it can be operator single-handedly. If one arm or wrist were broken, it might be a lifesaver. I agree with you on the phone. mine hardly works right in my house, much less in the wilderness. LOL

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
The only advantage that I can that the Bic has is, it can be operated single-handedly

Yeah with you on that..
Check out a 'blast-match' though.. advantage nullified .

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Regarding the first test. I think its geared more towards an urban type who simply doesnt know how to use some survival gear in the wilds and wants to be found. Seriously, a Bic and a cell phone? Cant say I fall into that category.

The 2nd one was fun, I like the fact you can change answers to create a "if not this, than how about...." to change your score. Notice if you substitute the rum for anything, your odds go down significantly. Wonder why being drunk on the ocean would contribute to that?

Personally, If I dont know most of this "crew" that I must take with me, why not leave a few behind, steal their cigarettes and take all the gear?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
Regarding the first test. I think its geared more towards an urban type who simply doesnt know how to use some survival gear in the wilds and wants to be found. Seriously, a Bic and a cell phone? Cant say I fall into that category.
Yeah, the first test is just basic knowledge, but if you peruse the site, it's has lots of good, practical information.

The 2nd one was fun, I like the fact you can change answers to create a "if not this, than how about...." to change your score. Notice if you substitute the rum for anything, your odds go down significantly. Wonder why being drunk on the ocean would contribute to that?
It's one of my favorites. the ability to see why you scored the way you did is cool. I can't imagine why being drunk and adrift at sea would be a problem.. LOL

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
My video of a blast match.

Made to demonstrate its one handed ninjaness.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I Like this awnser the best. Hahaha!

Upon finding yourself in a dangerous survival situation, the best thing to do is:

d) Sit down and then bend over so that your head is between your knees. Keep bending until you can kiss your ass goodbye

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

Definitely a survival kit must! Thanks Agent_T and Dan Tanna for the information and the cool video! A++

[edit on 14-8-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

Excuse my ignorance Dan, that looks very good, but what is a "blast match" and how is it made?

TIA

MR

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Marlborough Red

Here's a link to a site that has a picture as well as a description of the item Red. Basically, it's a fire starting tool. Dan can tell you more about I'm sure, if you still have any questions.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
14. Upon finding yourself in a dangerous survival situation, the best thing to do is:
a) React immediately, and start doing whatever you think will help to take your mind off the situation.
b) Start a fire to warm you up and signal for help.
c) Remain calm, take inventory of what tools and information you have, and then prioritize your actions to meet your most important needs first.

d) Sit down and then bend over so that your head is between your knees. Keep bending until you can kiss your ass goodbye.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Here you go. A couple of pictures for you. Its a simple ferrous rod with a tungsten carbide strike inside - the rod is on a spring mechanism. Simply press the button down so the strike contacts the rod and apply pressure.

Heres another pic

And I just did you another quick video which I will paste in when its ready - It will show the awesome efficiency of the blast match combined with wetfire fuel.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Thanks for posting the survival quiz. I scored 11... Told me to stick to sitting on my couch and that some people weren't meant to go outdoors... Bloody cheek.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join