It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

are we born to die?...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
i always ask myself if people are just born to live out their life... and then
die.. what is your take on this?.. most people would say yes that
people are meant to die, probably due to their religion. I'm just not convinced
that i was put here to die.. and if your religious adam and eve were meant
to live forever until they ate from the tree of knowledge. Do we as people
still have that mindset?.. is that why we instinctively try to survive?..
i just dont understand that if were meant to die why doesnt our mind
except it and just say "what the heck why not sooner or later".
I've always pondered immortality (in a completely non creepy way)
and found it not to be such a bad thing. Sure you'll outlive your friends
and family, but there will always be other people for you to come attached
too.. you would most likely be financially successful.. then again im not
thinking of aging.. so i dont know.
anyway.. Whats your take on this?..

Born to Die.. theres an afterlife.. etc etc..
or
Our bodies just cant Keep up with our mind.. no afterlife.. just death.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Generally we are born because our Mommy and Daddy got it on.
From there, it's up to you. There's no one real definate answer to why we are here.
For some people, their whole point in life was to die.
Thing is though, they decide what the point of their life is. It's not determined until you die, or it's not known to you until you die, at least not for sure.
So the only thing you can do is live in a way that feels right.

Generally, I've always thought of immortality as a sort of bad thing. Mortality gives people a reason to do something, after all, you only live once, right?
I would love to live to see us reach another galaxy, so I should pursue it, instead of waiting around until someone else does it.
Sure, having a time limit can make it difficult, but if there's no struggle, then ther's no need to try.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

well..
i see where your coming from..
but who knows if you only live once?..
and mortality does give people a reason
to do something.. but immortality could
give you the opportunity to do anything..

if the right person had that chance our world
could become a significantly better place..

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by joshhh

Well, if you don't only live once, but only know one life at a time, then you are not waware of living more than one life, and you should treat it as only one life to live.
As for immoratlity, i stand by what I said. Sure, in some ways it would be great, the right people in the right place, or the same people or something. But immortality would, for one thing, not be just one person. It'd be a few, at least. And even the most adaptable people have trouble keeping up with the current events intheir own life spans. Imagine trying to keep track of three hundred years of current events and history.
Sure, living forever is damnably tempting. But imagine if Bush or Cheney, or Castro, or Hilton lived forever.
Thank you, I'll live out my life and try to leave behind only honest regrets, some smiles, and a family.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Adam and Eve weren't put on this earth to live immortal lives. They were put on here immortal but still with agency, it was just different than our situation. Them being deceived by the snake was part of the plan. Without them partaking of the forbidden fruit, they (more than likely unknowingly) sacrificed their immortality so that all of us have a chance on this Earth. Sin is part of the plan, and so is how you recover from sin. We aren't put on this earth to just die, there's more, we're here to be an example to all those around us, to help our fellow men become better men and to help each other on the path to true happiness, which i believe can vary with each and every person.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Is this not in the wrong forum

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
i was once told by a bloke that our bodies are actually 'designed' to last forever... but for some reason we just seem to die off..
i dunno. it sounded really philosophical.
i have my own outlook of what happens when we die. its late so ill make it a quick run down. anyways - this is how i think it happens...
We are born. we live our life. we die. the second we die we are instantly reborn into exactly the same life as previously to the same family but each time we re-live our lives we make better decisions, even if only small, which brings me to my next point... DeJa Vu to me is those small scrapings of our previous life that our memory has stored - even if it is completely insignificant, but the thing with DeJa Vu is that it people say 'ooh this is weird' and will try to change it - or they say 'this has happened before' and will try to predict what happens next; sometimes being successful.. so DeJa Vu could be that little kick we are subconsciously given to go in the right direction to further perfect our lives.
NOW. i tell alot of people about this theory of mine and they say well if your born into the same family what if u have kids with somebody else? and i tell them that its because all of our realities are not linked. for example.. a guy gets married and has a kid in one life... then in the next life he marries the 'other chick' and has a kid with her... everyone in this scenario has existed therefore everyone gets there own reality - so the guys first kid, although not existing in his current reality, has his own reality where the guy is infact still the father. so as you can see there are countless lifes and realities being lived all at the one time... possibly within different dimensions (who are we to say how may dimensions there are - or how many alternate realities can exist at one time
) i guess in the end our lives only get better untill we reach a state of pure ecstasy.. a perfect life... a heaven..? im not sure.. all i know is that im in one of my early trials for life.. i have a long way to go.
so i hope that made sense... if not tell me what you dont understand and ill do my best to help you out!
peace.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Theoretically we as humans could live forever ..... old age is just another disease, but one we havent found a cure for yet. Man is getting older with each generation or so and medical science is helping us stay alive much longer. One day, old age will be cured, but .......

....... then this will bring in a whole new ball game of ethics and morality. Man cannot go on living indefinately and still reproduce offspring. If man was immortal, what age would they retire at? what age would schooling finish? how long would they pay taxes for? would money be really worth anything anymore? should man be married for life or should they change partners every 20 years or so? would pensions still exist?

Have fun working some of those out

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
uhmm..
thats a nice religious take on it.. but i dont think them being
decieved was part of the plan.. if that was the case god would
have gave them whatever was growing on the tree of knowledge
himself.. im sure he (god) did not want them eating it.. and thats
why he said not to.. then again im not a complete bible expert..
but i do try to have some knowledge..

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by stevo351

Some think our bodies are meant to last forever but our cells end up
not being able to replicate.. therefore growing old ensues and
death comes oh so much faster..
on that whole live new life thing.. have you.. or has anyone
by chance seen the Imagining the Tenth deminsion videos?..
or read the book?..
its.. well thought to say the least.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by joshhh]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
That wouldn't not have been possible. God can't deceive us, he can allow us to be deceived so we may improve, but it is IMPOSSIBLE for him to trick us. That is the devil's forté. Each and every one of us has our very own forbidden fruit that we must go through in order to improve ourselves, for the benefit of ourselves, others, this life and the after life.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by joshhh
i always ask myself if people are just born to live out their life... and then
die.. what is your take on this?.. most people would say yes that
people are meant to die, probably due to their religion. I'm just not convinced
that i was put here to die.. and if your religious adam and eve were meant
to live forever until they ate from the tree of knowledge. Do we as people
still have that mindset?.. is that why we instinctively try to survive?..
i just dont understand that if were meant to die why doesnt our mind
except it and just say "what the heck why not sooner or later".
I've always pondered immortality (in a completely non creepy way)
and found it not to be such a bad thing. Sure you'll outlive your friends
and family, but there will always be other people for you to come attached
too.. you would most likely be financially successful.. then again im not
thinking of aging.. so i dont know.
anyway.. Whats your take on this?..

Born to Die.. theres an afterlife.. etc etc..
or
Our bodies just cant Keep up with our mind.. no afterlife.. just death.

Dyin's livin', livin's dying man.
It's just the way it goes.
You take with you only your soul, memories and see what's next

The adventure goes on. To exactly where we find out when it happens.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
i just dont want there to be nothing afterwards.
hah.. i dont know. at the rate in which our science
is going.. maybe i can put a good 125 years behind me..

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by joshhh

As my signature says, the only guarantee in life is death. There is no god, there is no afterlife, and there is no immortaliy. Our"souls" are not going to heaven. The human body starts to die as soon as your concieved. The human heart evolved to only beat so many times before it quits, and the nerve tissue in the brain decays to rapidly to live forever.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by joshhh

Joshhh we are quite capable of making the decision to accept death.

I have done it several times. Fortunately my judgement of the situation was less than perfect and I survived, despite believing that my actions were hopeless to save myself or others. I was certain that my attempt would only hasten my own death. And I was not alone. There is nothing noble about it. Just a WTF, why the hell not, and off you go.

Once you are sure that you will die anyway, you have nothing to loose. It is simply a personal decision to die trying, despite the odds against you.

Needless to say I would prefer to be around those who would make the same decision, however they appear to be the minority, and you cannot tell till the time comes for you to make the decision yourself.

Now you may say that I did not choose to simply accept death. But the majority around me did, by not resisting it because of the risk. I cannot tell you who was right or wrong, but I took a needless risk in their eyes, since they survived without effort. I failed both times this occured in my life, but greater fortune intervened.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
i know its going to happen..
and ive been in situations than
ended in me praying to whoever
the hell made us...
i hate it.
i hate accepting death.
i hate accepting fate.
generally becuase i have
done things that i think
god would frown upon..
that all only being relevant
if god is real.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I personally don't believe I'm going to die. Now just how much this affects my mortality I have no clue.

I tend to look at death in a different light. I do not consider it an ending to anything. Why can't death be considered a beginning? Who is to say this is life that we are living? Maybe we are dead now, and life is what comes after this.

The problem is, no dead person has come over to me and whispered in my ear "You're missing out. Join in the fun" and until one does, I'll put off death until its my time, which I reiterate is never coming.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
well said, I really don't get the whole Atheist vibe. To me that's like giving up on life itself.
To me it may be that the 'back to the earth' brigade probably won't know what'll hit them when they die. They might not even get into the next-place if they can't grasp the concepts of an after-life.

The bodys are vessels and carry the life about! Not the other way round!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
nah i havent read the books/seen the video.. what is it about?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Exactly, Death is our only thing guaranteed and it's the only true freedom we have, because NOTHING in history tells us what we "must" do when we die. We "must" learn in our youth, lead a family, get old and die. What "must" we do after we die? NOTHING

top topics

<<   2 >>

join