It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do not read this thread!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Thank you for defying the thread title. No this is not a Ha Ha got you to open it type thread. In fact, you are the people I want to hear from.

I have a question which for me would be best answered by a wide cross section of people.

Is human nature inherently defiant or is curiosity the stronger motivator? And why are the two often confused with each other?

I personally love watching the effects of curiosity on people. One of my favorites is to look up in the air at nothing in particular and see how many people try and see what you are looking at. Get a big enough crowd and people start pointing and telling others what they should be looking at. (I am sure we have all done it. If you have never done it DO IT TODAY! It’s worth the chuckle.)

I once read that if you told somebody was told there are 323 872 461 298 stars in the milky way they would probably believe you but if you told them the paint on the wall behind them was wet they would touch it to make sure.

Is touching the paint from being curious or doubting what they are told?

For those with children you will know that defiance is something that comes naturally. But is it defiance for the sake of being naughty or is it curiosity in order to find boundaries?

What is it that makes us like this? Are we sinful by nature as according to Genesis or is there something more to it? Are humans as an ‘intelligent being’ wired to be curious in order to further improve our intelligence – Through asking we learn kind of thing?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Don't read th...?

Doh!

I actually only read your post so I could answer it that way.

Am I gonna get in trouble?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I read this even though the thread title said not to..

so do i win a cookie?

Curiosity is just one of the many things what makes us human..

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard, my milkshake is bet...oh, sorry...

Just thought i'd interrupt my singalong to point out that 40 something people have read this message by the time i posted this but none have had the bawlls to reply to you. Yeah, I read it. Guess that makes me one of the sheeple.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Great post S + F !

I think humans are curious because new information is exciting and stimulating.

However defiance is a result of the "human" and "animal" in all of us coexisting in
eternal conflict???

Anyhow I will think about it more.

This post is genius, from title to content.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
We are all rebellious!

Second line FTW!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it pure genius.
jeez...haha... easy there cowboy... you're gettin all brokeback mountain there for a second.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I think it's less defiance and more curiosity. If told not to read something, you must wonder, why? What musn't be read?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Awww dammit! Curiosity is a STRONG force in me! I deliberately kept passing up this thread OUT OF DEFIANCE bc I figured it was some ploy to get ppl to read... but as always, curiosity gets the better of me

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Came in for the sake of curiosity. I figured i knew you well enough by your posts that you were'nt making some sort of assinine joke of some kind, and had a point to make.
As for curiosity being a driving factor, sure. But mainly because curiosity can lead to entertainment.
And entertainment, no mater what ofrm it takes, is what people crave.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
First time I saw the title, wondered why ?, opened it up and read. I have no idea why we are compelled to do such things. It just is....

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Z i m
reply to post by mental modulator

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it pure genius.
jeez...haha... easy there cowboy... you're gettin all brokeback mountain there for a second.

Your the one with leather on the brain, I never said " I can't quit you " .

All I am saying is VA was able to get each one of us to demonstrate the idea of the thread, an experiment to prove a point before the point has been made, in order to make the point.

CLEVER!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
for something like this definatly curiosity,, defiance i think would come in under different conditions. sometimes curiosity can possibly cause defiance

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
In one of my boring psych classes we were told that we tend to ignore the negative so that the thread is read Do--- Read This Thread. I can't remember what it's called or why we do that, but you are supposed to change your wording if you really want to manipulate people. Don't forget, says Do forget. I guess you are supposed to say Remember.... I don't know if I believe it, but it was taught. ??
I read this thread because it has been especially boring in here this week. (and I am curious)

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Curiosity is very strong in people...I tried to avoid reading the thread but after seeing it a few times just had to take a quick look.

I think some animals are quite curious as well.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Im more of the curious type.
Its interesting you mention SIN along with curiosity...makes me wonder if whoever put us here on earth didnt want us to progress too far with our knowledge,therefor keeping us under control.

And when that happens(repression of knowledge) i become defiant more than curious.

So your thread title just made me curious....then a little defiant lol.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Well obviously this post is here for a reason. You posted it so people could read it so I read it.lol
And it was my curiousity that made me read it, it had nothing to do with defiance. I knew it was a joke from the start anyways.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   

And I do not believe that curiosity has anything to do with sin, especially the things I am curiuos about.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I think that for the most part - we just don't like being told what we can and can not do. We NEED to figure out for ourselves, if the paint is wet or not. There are some things we just NEED to know

It's like those "Do not push this button" signs. Those drive some people pretty crazy. The sign offers no explanation as to why the button can't be pushed, which leaves the consequences as being one of two things: Positive or Negative.

People want to know what the consequece is, and people want to push that darn little button.

I don't think its really done in a "rebellious" state, as much as it is (as most members have already pointed out) a curiosity thing.

We're always curious about those darn buttons...

- Carrot

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I was curious why somebody wouldn't want me to read a thread. The probable cost of disobeying the directive was calculated to be minimal. If I had sufficient reason to believe reading this thread would detonate a nuclear device somewhere in the world it is likely I wouldn't be reading it or posting in it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join