It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ANTI-MISSILE LASER GIVEN FIRST TESTS FOR USE IN SPACE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   

ANTI-MISSILE LASER GIVEN FIRST TESTS FOR USE IN SPACE

query.nytimes.com

LEAD: The military has begun top-secret ground tests of a compact, powerful laser that the Reagan Administration wants launched into space in the early 1990's as part of the effort to build a defense against nuclear missiles.

The military has begun top-secret ground tests of a compact, powerful laser that the Reagan Administration wants launched into space in the early 1990's as part of the effort to build a defense against nuclear missiles.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Fox%20News%20intervi ew%20about%20the%20Bigfoot%20discovery]www.foxnews.com
www.foxnews.com

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Well hopefully we will have something a little more reliable than the missile defense program as a counter to incoming nuclear missiles/warheads. Nuclear warheads are launched by a larger assembly when in orbit and these objects are usually fitted with chaff dispensers as a countermeasure to confuse any incomming missiles (much like the same application for military aircraft).

A defense system that involves missiles AND lasers like this will be much much more effective from a strategic standpoint. I like it!!

query.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
LOL

This is a bit older then 42 hours LMAO I wonder if they will delete it
By WILLIAM J. BROAD
Published: January 3, 1988

Hehe .. Talking about star wars and Regan

The big question about this is Just how effective is the system and has it been deployed ? Etc.......

I do not think for a second we have the ability to prevent a large scale nuclear icbm launch. Sure we might get quite a few but there is bound to be quite a few missed. Not to mention those weapons that are reported to be on US soil already.

The best solution is to prevent them from ever being launched in the first place..The best way to do this is to destroy all nuclear weapon that exist worldwide.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by wolfmanjack]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
"First Test"? "Space"?

Give me a break. There is no mention of space borne lasers nor targeting extra-atmospheric missiles in either video clip.

The article you quote is over 20 years old. The system they are talking about got nowhere.

Is this a joke?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by wolfmanjack
LOL

The best solution is to prevent them from ever being launched in the first place..The best way to do this is to destroy all nuclear weapon that exist worldwide.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by wolfmanjack]

Destroy all missles? I'd never thought of that before. I don't know how they would destroy them from space without spreading radiation everywhere on the ground.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by wolfmanjack

Link to the story in a FOX news video dated today..

Anti-Missile Laser Testing FOX NEWS video

Sorry for having to edit this.. I originally put in the bigfoot video we are discussing in another thread
.. Link is good now!

The actual NY times story I posted.. I thought it was this same news story because of the content... But the date is 1988 obviously so that's my bad..
Probably will be closed..

-ChriS

[edit on 14-8-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Like I said, that clips says nothing about "Use in Space".

But here is a quote from the clip "in theory, and it is just a theory at this point because it hasn't actually been tested"

Two strikes

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Double post

[edit on 14-8-2008 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I got this link

www.popularmechanics.com...

from your thread about the C-130 mounted laser. It's an old article.

This says that the laser itself has been successfully tested but still, according to the clip you provided, the airborne version has not been tested. Both sources refer only to targeting boost phase missiles.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by Phage]

new topics

top topics

join