It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh How The Mighty Have Fallen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
--------------
--------------

Do you remember the time when you were proud to be known as a conservative Republican? That seems like ages ago because, well, it was.

I remember looking around at all of those liberal Democrats and secretly thinking to myself...What a pathetic bunch of losers you are...We with our well aged, but oh so wise poster child for truth, justice, and the American way will hold such a majority over you sinful libs you will think you have all been relegated to a never ending first canticas stage play of the Divine Comedy.

It was great while it lasted, and of course I have since grown much wiser in the ways of the real world, and also been arrested, twice, which has a way of showing you the ugly side of the powers that be.

Now I find I'm no longer looking at the Democrats and judging them for all of their terrible sins against humanity and God, because I'm in a sort of traumatic shock over how much worse the Republicans are....now.

Oh how the once mighty have fallen, and pardon me for saying, but it serves you right. The one man who started the glorious party on its way to the pinnacle of success is turning over in his grave...pleading for you to just "win one more for the gipper".

But alas, I think it will not be.

From winks and nods, to wide stances in stalls, and from dukes being duked, to cold hard cash in the freezer, you have taken a sacred trust and trampled it under feet like so much trash.

Just what happened to you oh glorious party to end all others? Where did you go so wrong?
Wait, on second thought don't answer that, because it may incriminate you, and don't you think we have had enough of that already?

---------------
---------------

[edit on 13-8-2008 by TH3ON3]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
So what brought about this change?

Are you a Progressive liberal now or just not a Red Republican anymore?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

Well...I like saying well
I'm not a progressive liberal, and definitely not a red republican either. You see this is the dilemma millions of Americans are in. Do we vote for McCain, and hope he doesn't get us any more messed up than we alreaqdy are, or do we vote for Obama who believes the polar opposite on faith based issues that so many Americans once found they could count on the Republicans to support.

but after havbing the rug pulled out from under our feet by the last few presidents, we are in pickle of a dilly as to who to vote for.

You see I just can't bring myself to vote for either candidate, because that would be supporting the two evils.

So what does that make me? I don't know, but I'll wager about a million that there are at least a million registered faith based Republicans who are going to abstain from this election because we just can't vote for more of the wrong candidates.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by TH3ON3]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Labels.

I think I'll go back to being an Anarchist. It's a nice conversation stopper for all the political mumbo-jumbo flying around at the moment.

I cant vote anyway, I havent been in the US long enough yet.

To be honest, all politicians are usually just as bad as each other.

McCain, Obama, who really cares. Whatever blows your skirt up.

G

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3

Originally posted by mental modulator

Well...I like saying well
I'm not a progressive liberal, and definitely not a red republican either. You see this is the dilemma millions of Americans are in. Do we vote for McCain, and hope he doesn't get us any more messed up than we already are, or do we vote for Obama who believes the polar opposite on faith based issues that so many Americans once found they could count on the Republicans to support.

but after having the rug pulled out from under our feet by the last few presidents, we are in pickle of a dilly as to who to vote for.

You see I just can't bring myself to vote for either candidate, because that would be supporting the two evils.

So what does that make me? I don't know, but I'll wager about a million that there are at least a million registered faith based Republicans who are going to abstain from this election because we just can't vote for more of the wrong candidates.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by TH3ON3]

So as a faith based voter, what could the democratic party do to win some faith votes?

You see I am a progressive + liberal...

I know it sound bad, but if the shoe fits.

I have some very religious family members and I have dared a political conversation with only one.

She told me that she is a Democrat but she does not believe in abortions...
She also said that she believes that taking care of the infirm, sick and poor
was a huge part of Jesus' message. In short she feels that Jesus getting angry with the money lenders in some temple told her that god intended goodwill and love to be the
guiding force in Jesus' teachings/ not MONEY or BUSINESS. So she equates the Republicans like the money lenders and the intentions of the Democrats like the good works of Jesus, or something like that...

I was surprised when she told me my uncle is the opposite of her.

Anyhow her concept make sense to me she said she could look past the abortions because god gave man the freedom of decision or something like that and that is the way of America...

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by angus1745
Labels.

I think I'll go back to being an Anarchist. It's a nice conversation stopper for all the political mumbo-jumbo flying around at the moment.

I cant vote anyway, I havent been in the US long enough yet.

To be honest, all politicians are usually just as bad as each other.

McCain, Obama, who really cares. Whatever blows your skirt up.

G

I think the label applies to me fine...
I believe everyone should be free to be how they are or want to be and I think economies should be bottom up, hence a liberal.

On your second part maybe you don't realize how BAD Bush is...

I have been paying attention and its NOT GOOD - WORSE THEN USUAL.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Well, I think it would be very hard for Obama to get our votes. McCain is dead in the water for all those who have a brain to see just what the republicans really stand for, and how hypocritical they have become.

Obama has made a mistake by supporting the abortion stance, and of course the gay marriage thing. I firmly believe he will win, that is if none of the powers that be decide they don't want him to win.

so, if he hides his true feelings about abortion and then hides behind the fact that he says he's a Christian, he should blow out Mccain. The race issue is an issue, obviously.

So it could be closer than I think. Then again, if we get embroiled into another war such as trying to check russias quest to gain back several of the regions they lost when the USSR broke up, Mccain could pull even and possibly win.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

So if gay people did not want to get married and abortion was made illegal here
could the democrats get more votes from the faithful?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3
From winks and nods, to wide stances in stalls, and from dukes being duked, to cold hard cash in the freezer, you have taken a sacred trust and trampled it under feet like so much trash.

I think your post is rather cryptic and actually I don't believe that you were ever a Republican. Swing voters, of which I'm one, usually have moderate core values that are better represented in one election or another by a candidate from either side of the aisle.

The Republican Party has seen its share of moral lapses over time, but I'm not sure that Larry Craig's wide stance in a restroom stall is more or less reprehensible than John Edwards' or Bill Clinton's moral lapses, unless one factors in sexual orientation, but then there's always Barney Frank and his intern escapade of several years ago.

One can say one thing about Republicans in this regard. When Republicans gets caught with their pants down, they aren't as likely as Democrats to excuse the dalliance as quite normal behavior that has no impact on the offender's job performance.

I'm not sure that I understand dukes being duked. In fact, I don't understand it at all and the winking and nodding behavior you cite is without meaningful reference and describes a behavior that is fairly common among the liberals I've had contact with.

There is only one case of cold hard cash in a freezer of which I am aware and that is the freezer of William Jefferson, a Democrat congressman from Louisiana, who used to be my congressman, by the way.

It has been my observation that parties wax and wane. I once wished that Nixon's presidency would bury the Republicans forever and was shattered when Ronald Reagan was elected not once, but twice.

Retrospect, the presidency of Bill Clinton, a little maturity, and some personal experiences gave me pause to think more critically about the course of American history in my lifetime and the impact of the parties on American society.

I now have a much more clear picture of what the parties represent and the course they have mapped out for America. Of course, which one is better depends on one's system of core values, but for now, I can be pretty sure that the Republicans aren't going to lead us down the road to a Marxist state.

I can't say that about a Democrat party that taxes and spends, despises businesses for being successful, who blithely speaks of nationalizing industries because of their success, and who ignores a national emergency because the obvious remedies don't fit their bogus agenda.

[edit on 2008/8/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Thanks for your response. I was talking about Duke Cunningham in my reference, and the winks and nods are done on both sides of course. Jefferson was a Democrat? I thought a Republican..well in any case my point was the Republican party was supposed to be the party that was courting the Christian right or faith based voters, but as I mentioned most of us straight Republican voters have seen the light so to speak, and will not vote for either candidate.

If that is taken as a holier than thou attitude then so be it, but I just can't support what I consider to be the lesser of two evils. And I'm by no means alone in this view. I think perhaps many many former straight ticket Republicans will abstain from voting for the president this year.

I think we need several more parties to allow people to vote for the candidate that really supports their view, instead of the pseudo support we see from the current administration. If Ron Paul was still in the running, I believe I would vote for him, but he has no chance unfortunately.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I wonder how many former straight ticket Republicans feel the same way I do. Maybe this isn't the ideal place to post this, but I'm sure others that read my post will agree with me. Be interesting to also hear from those who will be voteing for McCain and just why they would do so.

top topics

join