It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there is no air in space, how do they use rockets to position the space shuttle?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manasseh
reply to post by Phage

*Snip* What is the burning of the rocket fuel pushing against to move the space shuttle.

Look, this question will burn your minds, until you accept that there are things in the universe that scientists, in all their self imposing glory, cannot explain.

Until you accept that, then we cannot move on to the next lesson, which is,

God is in control.

Amen?

[edit on 13-8-2008 by alien]
what the hell is a jet or plane pushing on in midair? there is your logic.

P.S. You seem to be those people, that believe the Bible or you pastor church congregration over experiments you can test.

Please tell me how they get satellites way up there. They even have pictures to prove it.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by thehype16]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
A new low has hit the forums, jesus christ this is low.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
[SNIP]

Mod Edit: Removed 1-liner insult.
Civility and Decorum are Required
One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
i did not read all but i put this together what does everyone think

ok mix substance a with substance b and it causes them to expand and

normally it would expand in all directionsas below

a--->

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow
I am absolutely stunned that none of you guys understand jet or rocket propulsion, it is junior grade physics.

The basic idea is that you have a chamber with a high pressure inside

Heyyy... What sort of disinfo satanist COINTELPRO psyop secret nasa man-in-black propaganda are you spreading here!!!

Coh, Trying to fool us all with your factual lies and logical fidgy-widginess!!

j/k - and back to the topic, good post.

I do hope it does make some difference to the OP's line of thought.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Would everyone quit insulting the OP?
Not that I agree about this particular topic, but, many question the moon landing.
The vast amount of churches I have attended never speculated about rocket fuel or government collusion in faking space endeavors.
That is not usually their focus.
His speculation on rocket propulsion doesn't deserve such behavior, IMO.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Hey, Manasseh tell you what.

Why don't you design a rocket motor that has a blast shield on a tether that reels out as you apply power to the rocket motor - so your rocket can push against the shield trailing behind the rocket. When it gets too far away for any push, you just turn the rocket off and reel the shield back in and start the process over. Hell, maybe you could even use a bungee cord and the stored energy in the return will push you again - power - bing -bang - power - bing -bang-power... You can call it a push me pull you rocket.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by defiance
Same effect on a gun's recoil...bullet has a small mass but exits the gun at a very high velocity, in return the gun gets pushed back. Using intuition, do you think firing a rifle in a vacuum will have no recoil?

Aww lol, I made it so many pages after my post about recoil that I was hoping it would be the only one
That teaches me to read more before posting, as I usually do but neglected to do this time !!

Well put.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manasseh
reply to post by windwaker

You tell me.

Bet you I can beat you at "stroids"

I was playing that before Star Wars had diapers.

Mind conditioning at its finest.

No one can come up with an answer, because thrust in space is impossible, just like freezing temperatures are impossible because there is no temperature in space..
Wow. Did you drop out of kindergarten? Freezing temperatures are easily possible and dominant in space. There is no real identity to cold, like dark and light. When there isn't light it's dark. When there isn't heat it's cold. The definition cold, is the absence of heat. It is very cold in space where there isn't a star like the sun providing heat.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Just a reminder. On topic posts only. Insults are NOT allowed. If you don't have something constructive to add, then don't post. Thank you.

Civility and Decorum are Required
General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
If there ain't no air in space, then why come there's an air in space museum?!

Anser me that smart science guys!!

Praise Jesus

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeeHawt
A gun would not fire in space because there is no oxygen, therefore stopping the firing pin from igniting gunpowder. But your an aerospace engineer

Nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin combnations do not need an external oxidation source...

But you knew that, right?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
and dont forget that once in space the shuttle uses little gas jets to move around

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
i want to say that the fuel is oxygen rich fuel meaning that when its burned it releases the oxygen, but i'm not that smart its just a guess.

Keeper

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
This saddens me. Anyone who had a decent highschool education would never ask this question. The very first post summed it up, and yes, it's all about Newton's 3rd law of motion.

Take a balloon, fill it with air, and let it go - it will flutter around as the air shoots out the back. It would do the same thing in a vaccuum. The air is pushing against all sides of the balloon. Since the only direction it can come out is from the back (the hole), it creates an unequal and opposing force on the front of the balloon so it shoots forward. It has nothing to do with the air coming out "pushing against" other air.

I'm so saddened to hear someone pose a question like this. Our educational system has truly failed us.

Also, if thrust required air and was thus impossible in space, that would mean all rockets and space travel would be impossible. Once a rocket reached past the ionoshphere where the point that earth's atmosphere ceases to exist, it would lose thrust and fall back to earth. Are you saying all space travel is and always has been impossible, making every artificial satellite a conspiracy?

The only conspiracy going on is the waste of tax dollars on an educational system that doesn't work.

-Bruce

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Do you really think it's worth your time to try to explain fundamental physics to someone with a Neolithic world-view? Based on the original poster's comments, drawn to their logical conclusion, electronics don't work either - it must be demons in those boxes trying to seduce us.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Office 4256
Do you really think it's worth your time to try to explain fundamental physics to someone with a Neolithic world-view? Based on the original poster's comments, drawn to their logical conclusion, electronics don't work either - it must be demons in those boxes trying to seduce us.
Good point.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I've always wondered about the OP's question myself.

I see a lot of arrogant and condescending answers here. People are giving all kinds of examples and comparisons that are blatantly incompatible with the subject, eg:

"Swimming, pushing against water"

"Standing on ice, throwing hockey pucks"

"Sitting on an office chair with wheels, throwing stuff"

"Shootin a gun and feeling recoil", etc. etc.

All of these examples show a situation where there's 1G gravity and an atmosphere, and have absolutely no meaning when it comes to the OP's question.

I see other explanations, like "the exhaust gas pushes against the nozzle".

How can it push against the nozzle, if there's is nothing on the other end to force itself against? Wouldn't the gas just spill out, without thrust?

Also, people say you can recreate this situation in an experiment on Earth, we can create a vacuum here, but how do you recreate the abscence, or lack of gravity, in that experiment on Earth?

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but sofar I haven't seen a satisfactory explanation yet.

The only explanation that comes close, to me, is that the whole thing works because of differences in pressure, but I still can't get my head around it.

[edit on 14/8/08 by enigmania]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Manasseh

DUH! it is called LOX liquid oxygenText

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by enigmania
All of these examples show a situation where there's 1G gravity and an atmosphere, and have absolutely no meaning when it comes to the OP's question.
Also, people say you can recreate this situation in an experiment on Earth, we can create a vacuum here, but how do you recreate the abscence, or lack of gravity, in that experiment on Earth?

Physics 101: All mass has gravity, only the smaller the object, the further away from Earths gravitational field you have to be in order to measure the gravity of the object in question.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join