It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will you take The Pledge?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
For those who have said "im not taking the pledge, because i've already taken it"

Nobody is accusing you of anything

"taking the pledge" is a pledge to help improve the quality of ATS. It DOESNT Mean you're making a change in yourself.

Please don't allow your ego's to not allow you to take the pledge

Its more a statement than anything else, and its all but "admission of Guilt"

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

I don't believe those of us saying this are making any sort of statement about our Egos or anything like that Andrew.

By saying that, I am simply stating that I am already living by these standards on ATS and encourage others to do the same. This is in no way a refusal to follow these guidelines or to do my own thing, I'm simply stating that this is more a less a throwback to the Terms and Conditions we all agreed to when we became members.

As I've said, I salute jsobecky for raising this issue, especially in regards to the political forums.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

It's all to easy to get sucked into this type of nonsense when we see somebody else post something that casts our own beliefs and what we stand for in a negative light. It's often done by way of back door insults followed by taunting those who disagree with the opposing viewpoint. A perfect case in point is when I state my opposition to Obama and one of his supporters makes the assertion that if I am against Obama then surely I must be racist. Or how about threads that are titled in such a way as to infer that conservatives are slow so you must be nice to them. I've given examples from my point of view but please understand that it does go both ways. For example, those who proclaim that if you are in support of Obama than surely you mush support Islamic terrorism. It's this sort of ill logic that has driven a wedge between us all and forced us to take one side or the other. We are all Americans and we should all treat each other as Americans.

Another thing that I have noticed on this board is the number of people that site sources that would never hold up to the criticism of modern academia. I see allot of .org sites being used and heavily biased sites such as infowars as well as people reciting direct quotes from the likes of Alex Jones and Rush Limbaugh. We all need to be more aware of what we post and from what source we are posting from. After all, we are ATS’ers. Our job is to deny ignorance, not perpetuate it!

I make the pledge

[edit on 14-8-2008 by LiquidMirage]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I took my last pledge when I left the military. However, I will graciously accept your terms. So, this isnt a one line... Have a good day

[edit on 14-8-2008 by ObamasLoveChild]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Done. I will do the same. Not going to be easy.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I, Merky, Pledge and Promise to do my part in telling the truth as I see it on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, and all other forums.

Tee Hee, Isn't this cute just like the Boy Scouts. Now we gonna start a secret hand shake? As of this day forward flaming is band for all users, cause freedom of speech over rules this silly pledge.

So there boy's and girl's

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Seriously, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or any thing.... I'm being totally serious:

I'll take the pledge if someone can post a video of Obama saying the pledge of allegiance to the good old USA.

-Euclid

[edit on 14-8-2008 by euclid]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

This kind of liberal indoctrinized drivel is exactly what is killing this country, just ask anyone. McCain is the anti-Christ, and Obama actually wanted his first name to be Osama but they screwed up when he changed his name. If McCain is elected, all old people will slow down this country. I think old white people are ugly and stupid. McCain, I say McFake! Obama's baby-mama is hot! McCain stutters and has yellow teeth. Obama acts like a manchurian candidate. If McCain or Obama wins, George Bush will no longer be able to save us from terrorists and we will all die. I think John Edwards' infidelity is the most explosive story if the year for democrats, shame on them.

Otherwise, I will make the pledge, sure.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I, Alien_Biohazard, Pledge and Promise to do my part in making political discourse on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, but most importantly in Decision 2008 and all other political forums.

To that end, I will consciously avoid using any of the following offensive tactics in my posts:

-*- mindless repetition of divisive spoon-fed political talking points

-*- patently false information about candidates presented as truth

-*- exaggerated disaster scenarios if one or the other is elected

-*- shameful racism

-*- shameful bastardization of candidate names

-*- shameful focus on personalities instead of issues

-*- pathetic fear mongering

-*- embarrassingly little focus on real, important, vital issues

If I do commit any of the aforementioned tactics, I will immediately admit it and apologize to any member I might have offended.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez

This kind of liberal indoctrinized drivel is exactly what is killing this country, just ask anyone. McCain is the anti-Christ, and Obama actually wanted his first name to be Osama but they screwed up when he changed his name. If McCain is elected, all old people will slow down this country. I think old white people are ugly and stupid. McCain, I say McFake! Obama's baby-mama is hot! McCain stutters and has yellow teeth. Obama acts like a manchurian candidate. If McCain or Obama wins, George Bush will no longer be able to save us from terrorists and we will all die. I think John Edwards' infidelity is the most explosive story if the year for democrats, shame on them.

Otherwise, I will make the pledge, sure.

pluckynoonez,

Now I need therapy.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
No, pledge here. Those who complain about the dull minded are not perfect. We've just had another reread of the first two ammendments of the U.S. constitution and as long as there is ambiguity in the rights of free speech then your pledge will be useless.

ATS has expanded from just political critique, biased, political clans. There are many categories here at ATS and obviously one with no earthly anchor. This gives members the ability to use the whole of the human mentality. Imagination should never be condemned. Autism is the result of a highly developed mind, at its basic levels.

I see the baseless points driven by some posters but they are not to be discredited by only personal attack. Those bringing counter points do their fair share of baseless posting. Ego stroke usually appears like this:"everyone thinks or knows I'm right". Those that have taken the pledge will be seen bowing out of discussions which go beyond their knowledge to bring some counter point or their counter point is not agreed with.

Dismissal, the first sign of ignorance. Place myself above others and say I never had needless post? Never! It's nice to see those taking the pledge challenging themselves, I like to call you on your hypocracy so I'll keep this topic to remind you.

Could we stop having this overload of "I'm just complaining about myself" topics??!!!

[edit on 15-8-2008 by rightwingnut]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I too am a new member. i joined because I thought people could openly discuss things here. To my dismay, it became apparent that there are some who viciously attack others for their beliefs. the amount of childish name calling is unbelievable. Another thing I've noticed is that there seems to be ONLY good or bad. If someone thinks the other is bad, then that automatically makes their good. Do they ever think that neither is GOOD? Or that BOTH could be good in one way or another? What about the fact that just because you don't agree with something people assume you agree with the other side? Not necessarily so, for example, I don't like either candidate but if i happen to agree with something Obama said I've been pegged as his supporter. Same with McCain. You don't have to dispise everything about a candidate you don't like yet that's what we are trained to think. So...with all that mumbo jumbo said, I would definitely like to pledge....

I, Nunya13, Pledge and Promise to do my part in making political discourse on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, but most importantly in Decision 2008 and all other political forums.

To that end, I will consciously avoid using any of the following offensive tactics in my posts:

-*- shameful racism

If I do commit any of the aforementioned tactics, I will immediately admit it and apologize to any member I might have offended.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I have been lurking ATS since I first got a computer. I was actually telling this to my girlfriend a while back. I remember distinctly, I had just watched the movie JFK and so I went on the internet to do a bit of research ( I was new to computers and had just bought my first one a few months prior. I now work in an IT department. lol ) anyways, I remember that as I was researching, I stumbled across ATS. Since then I've been an active member of what I like to call " the resistance ". Long story short... I've been lurking ATS for the better part of a decade and only recently became active in actually posting.

I, KReese, Pledge and Promise to do my part in making political discourse on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, but most importantly in Decision 2008 and all other political forums.

-*- shameful racism

[edit on 15-8-2008 by kreese]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by euclid
Seriously, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or any thing.... I'm being totally serious:

I'll take the pledge if someone can post a video of Obama saying the pledge of allegiance to the good old USA.

-Euclid

[edit on 14-8-2008 by euclid]

You cannot possibly be serious :shk:

Gee. That was hard.

:shk:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I have a hard time understanding why its so hard for some people to be civil to each other,most likely just human nature.
I would be honored to take the Pledge

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I, AzraelTheBold, Pledge and Promise to do my part in making political discourse on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, but most importantly in Decision 2008 and all other political forums.

-*- shameful racism

....as our Nation's Founding Fathers toasted to our great declaration of independence...

"To Treason!!"

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Ah, what the hell...

I, Burdman30ott6, Pledge and Promise to do my part in making political discourse on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, but most importantly in Decision 2008 and all other political forums.

-*- shameful racism

If I do commit any of the aforementioned tactics, I will immediately admit it and will accept the label of "ass" as it pertains to the post in which I committed the transgression.

I changed the last line, however. The concept of "offended" isn't one that I will ever willingly acknowledge. I especially changed it because of the "shamefull racism" issue. Far too many times I've watched people offer tearfull apologies for some offhanded, completely non-racist comment they may have made, all because someone claimed they were offended and started playing the racism card. I don't apologize for anything I may say... if I am wrong on something, I will admit it, but apologies are reserved for issues that actually matter (like deeds, not mere words.)

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I, Amaterasu, Pledge and Promise to do my part in making political discourse on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, but most importantly in Decision 2008 and all other political forums.

-*- shameful racism

-*- pathetic fear mongering(**)

(**) I know I speak of doomish outcomes, but they are not with intent to fear-monger, but to awaken and motivate people to avoid the impending issues. And being a-partisan, I do not use the information as a wedge against either side of the false dichotomy of our two-headed counterfeit coin which will only buy us the NWO, regardless of whether it flips to one head or the other.

And I hope it seldom comes across as pathetic.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I, schrodingers dog , Pledge and Promise to do my part in making political discourse on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, but most importantly in Decision 2008 and all other political forums.

-*- shameful racism

I also pledge to fight relentlessly to expose those who take advantage of the courtesy they are granted to join the ATS community, and abuse this courtesy to mount coordinated political attacks without regard for anyone but their hate filled agenda.
This, I want to make clear, I do for myself and for my friends, whom I would have never crossed paths with were it not for this inherently kind and inquisitive community.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join