It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy relieves commander of air recon squadron

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Navy relieves commander of air recon squadron

ap.google.com

The commander of a Navy air reconnaissance squadron that provides the president and the defense secretary the airborne ability to command the nation's nuclear weapons has been relieved of duty, the Navy said Tuesday.
Cmdr. Shawn Bentley was relieved of duty Monday by the Navy for loss of confidence in his ability to command, only three months after taking the job.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 13/8/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Well this guy seems to be a figure head of sorts, but is this a good time to sack a commander?

It lists 'personal reasons' but that could be anything.

ap.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 13/8/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
Well this guy seems to be a figure head of sorts, but is this a good time to sack a commander?

It lists 'personal reasons' but that could be anything.

A "figurehead"? I've never head the commander of a squadron called a figurehead before!

Why not sack him now? Should they wait and see if he crashed an aircraft or something? "Personal reasons" oculd be anything like drinking, making bad decisions, bad finances, etc.

Your subject title is a bit misleading, since the APs is "Navy relieves commander of air recon squadron," and nothing to do with actual nukes.

They are a TACAMO platform. "Take Charge and Move Out". They provide comms to the subs.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
If this only took 3 months from his appointment then something in his vetting process must have been falsified or not completly investigated. Maybe an affair that just came to light or a medical problem that just cropped up. It is unusual to be appointed to a post like that and then to be relieved of duty so quickly!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Thanks. Well, if I had wanted to be more 'alarming' in my post, I would not have said 'figurehead' - because even the commanders take orders from higher up.

I was just interested if it had any echoes to this case -

Mideast Commander Retires After Irking Bosses

WASHINGTON — Adm. William J. Fallon, the commander of American forces in the Middle East whose outspoken public statements on Iran and other issues had seemed to put him at odds with the Bush administration, is retiring early, the Pentagon announced Tuesday.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Matt you are thinking along the same lines as me

I think He has been told to do some thing that he has an issue with and told them NO!! and we all know people get ticked off when you are told no so they have made this BS up about loss of confidence

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I bet you he was against attacking Iran. It seems like every military officer who has been against the POTUS agenda is being sacked, and replaced with a NEOCON drone.

I am not for sure if this is the reason why, but I would lay odds that it has something to do with it. Just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Folks,
This had nothing to do with any kind of agenda, or failure to follow orders.
That is an incredible stretch and I can't believe that folks here would even believe that.

Sometimes you find out after you give someone the job that they are incapable of doing the job in a safe manner.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
Folks,
This had nothing to do with any kind of agenda, or failure to follow orders.
That is an incredible stretch and I can't believe that folks here would even believe that.

An officer gets fired and everyone here freaks and geeks, "It was because he was against invading Iran!!!!!"

As soon as I read the post, I figured that people would be chiming in with that lame theory.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
It reminds me about a few years ago how the media and administration called anyone who questioned the official party line over Iraq un american.

Bush has a history of ..Getting rid of people who don't agree with him ..

As far as i understand the situation the last couple years .. More high ranking military service men have ether been fired, quit , or died in the last couple years then what is normal. Some of those who have quit have even come out publicly and stated they quit because they wouldn't follow the administrations plans etc.

Something is going on.. Exactly what.. We have to wait and see but i don't think it will be good for you and me.. Not good at all

edit... BTW the officer Wasn't fired.. He was reassigned back to his old command.

That would dictate to me that If he was still good enough for his old command why not the one they just replaced him from?

Officialy it was because of "A Personal problem" from what i read

"Bentley has been temporarily assigned to a staff job with the Strategic Communications wing, Brown said."

[edit on 13-8-2008 by wolfmanjack]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
mattguy404 Good find,

F+S from me, two in such a short space of time?

Does anyone know the reason for leaving and the previous commander of this post?

This is potentially the smoking gun for those like us...

Eagerly digging/searching.

Kind Regards,

Elf.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

But a source close to the investigation told The Associated Press that Bentley's removal regarded an undisclosed personal matter and was not related to the squadron's missions or duties. The source spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter.

Original Source

Yeah rite, a really reliable explanation.

interesting, maybe terrifying?

Kind regards,

Digging

Elf.

ElfEdit for following;
the former Person doing this role is back in the job. It appears the guy who is fired has been given a desk job under supervison at HQ.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by MischeviousElf] was editing as you posted, did check that in fact he was gone what he did and source before star and false and continued research

[edit on 13-8-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
F+S from me, two in such a short space of time?

Does anyone know the reason for leaving and the previous commander of this post?

Did you actually read the source before the "stars and flags"?

The reason for leaving:

"Brown said Bentley, who is based with the squadron at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma, was removed after an investigation by the Navy's Inspector General. The Navy did not release any details about the investigation or about any possible allegations against Bentley.

But a source close to the investigation told The Associated Press that Bentley's removal regarded an undisclosed personal matter and was not related to the squadron's missions or duties. The source spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter."

Previous commander:

"Brown said Cmdr. Erik Johnson, who previously served as the commanding officer of the VQ-3, has resumed command of the squadron."

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Well it's not necessarily a theory of mine - I'm not a conspiracist. In fact, I should probably be paying closer attention to preparing for my internship

But hey, if a tree falls in the woods, it makes a sound, right?

I just thought it was an interesting parallel to the previous ME commander dismissal.

If the NYT can ran a headline along the lines of 'commander irks bosses,' then this is not just the domain of 'freaks and geeks'.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Yeah rite, a really reliable explanation.

Why not? Maybe the guy just wasn't up for the job???

And since it is an ongoing investigation, they aren't going to release anything at this time.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Did you actually read the source before the "stars and flags"?

I explained that in my edit on my second post above.

Did you read my post before quoting something that I had already?

At least mine was marked as external and source mentioned.

As to the source, for the reasons of his leaving, totally unreliable because there is no evidence of it!
Logic?

MattGuy I feel with the amount of international tensions, and the known historical actions and desires of the Neocon influence in the US, the gravitas of the positions of these gentlemen, to include their complete necessity of support to the Whitehouse, in the most likely military scenarios at present.

Maybe your on the wrong site if you dont believe in the possibilty of some of the conspiracy facts happening again?

great find though Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 13-8-2008 by MischeviousElf] for spelling and to add "as to the reasons of his leaving"

[edit on 13-8-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I posted two minutes after you. And my quotes were from the source.

Originally posted by MischeviousElf MattGuy I feel with the amount of international tensions, and the known historical actions and desires of the Neocon influence in the US, the gravitas of the positions of these gentlemen, to include their complete necessity of support to the whitehouse, in the most likely military scenarious at present.

Maybe your on the wrong site if you dont believe in the possibilty of some of the conspiracy facts happening agin?

I love a good conspiracy. I just think that whenever a senior military officer farts, everyone thinks it has something to do with his disagreement with Bush and Iran.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

I posted two minutes after you. And my quotes were from the source.

Originally posted by MischeviousElf MattGuy I feel with the amount of international tensions, and the known historical actions and desires of the Neocon influence in the US, the gravitas of the positions of these gentlemen, to include their complete necessity of support to the whitehouse, in the most likely military scenarious at present.

Maybe your on the wrong site if you dont believe in the possibilty of some of the conspiracy facts happening agin?

I love a good conspiracy. I just think that whenever a senior military officer farts, everyone thinks it has something to do with his disagreement with Bush and Iran.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Maybe he was a risk for not following orders at the time of a launch order.

I wouldn't doubt his dedication clashed with his conscience.

top topics

join