It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain: 'In the 21st century, nations don't invade other nations.'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

Originally posted by Animal

Ask yourselves if you would feel the same had Hillary Clinton made the same statement. That would be different, even though Clinton had as much if not more involvement in leading us into Iraq than John McCain.

Oh, but wait, it is his fault because he is a Republican, right?

Keep drinking the partisan kool-aid friend, you're falling in line just where they want you to.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by cavscout]

I would laugh at anyone deranged enough to make such an ignorant statement.

I think if anyone is drinking 'kool-aid' it would be you mate, you have COMPLETELY missed the topic of this thread. I am not pointing out McCain's responsibility for taking us to war, I am pointing out that the man is sop incredibly clueless he actually said :

"in the 21st century (the one we are in) countries do not invade other countries."

Something we (the USA) have done TWICE in the 21st century.

Get it?

[edit on 13-8-2008 by Animal]

[edit on 13-8-2008 by Animal]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
I am pointing out that the man is sop incredibly clueless he actually said :

"in the 21st century (the one we are in) countries do not invade other countries."

Something we (the USA) have done TWICE in the 21st century.

Get it?

OK, maybe I am STILL failing to see the point of the thread because I don’t see why that is such a big deal.

I am certain that he did not mean his statement literally, as in "it never happens," but instead meant to say that this is something that modern civilized nations just should not do. Sort of like if I said "It's the 21st century, people just don’t solve problems with their fists." Do people fight? Yes. So did I mean to say it hasn’t happened in a while? No. Instead, I meant to say that it is not acceptable behavior and we all know it, even most of it are guilty of it at one point or another.

Am I still way off?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
BTW Iraq had a chance to comply with UN resolutions. They refused, and they paid the price.

Man, memories are wiggy. Seems to me that Saddam HAD COMPLIED with the UN resolutions just before we stomped in there to take control of oil, looking glasses, and who knows what else.

Maybe it's just me.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
No, that President Bush is the main person responsible for the invasion of Iraq. John McCain was not president and voted in accord with the will of the American people at the time, as is his duty as an elected official (although it did mean he failed in his duty as a human freaking being.)

Either I missed a connection or this is irrelevant to McCain saying we don't invade countries in the 21st century...

Ask yourselves if you would feel the same had Hillary Clinton made the same statement. That would be different, even though Clinton had as much if not more involvement in leading us into Iraq than John McCain.

Not for me, it wouldn't. ANY politician that would say such a thing, given the behavior of the US of A, would be busting my gut.

The whole Dem/Rep passion play is a farce in my opinion. They're all puppets and will further the agenda regardless of what label they slap on their foreheads.

Oh, but wait, it is his fault because he is a Republican, right?

What? The statement? No... It's his fault for opening his mouth and forming the words.

Keep drinking the partisan kool-aid friend, youre falling in line just where they want you to.

Ok, yeah. This wasn't directed to me. I admit it. Since I am a-partisan, this last makes that very clear. [grin]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
What's Odessa? Is that a country or something? Or do you mean Ossetia? The South Ossetia that's part of Georgia?

Oh, right, you get things from thinkprogress.org. You don't worry about that sort of thing.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I hate getting in political discussions too and I am not claiming the US had any right to invade Iraq. However, you cannot compare the two. There were 1 1/2 years of UN broken resolutions by Iraq, 14 in all. Iraq was fully aware the US was going to attack and almost the exact time they were going to start the bombing if Sadamm didnt fully comply. It was also a multinational coalition of forces that included GB, Poland, Australia, Denmark, and others. Did we go to war for the right reason, I dont know. But Russias aggresion towards Georgia doesnt even compare to the Invasion of Iraq.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Cavscout, I personally wouldn't care who said such a thing, be they blue, red, or green.

I'd find it just as ridiculous if that was Pelosi, Clinton, Nader, or anyone else.

I mean, the US has definitely been the tip of the spear during the largest, longest, and most blatant invasion to take place during the 21st century. For anyone to say that nations don't invade other nations shows either a shameful lack of associative thinking, or a tunnel-visioned disregard for the standards we apply to other nations.

I think it's the latter.

We expect the rest of the world to toe these lines in the sand, but when it comes to our own behavior we have (and expect) carte blanche to do what we please.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

If Russia can invade a Democratic country.....

Why can't we invade a Communist country?

And here ladies and gentlemen we find a perfect example of Super Anti-logic.

We have the male specimen approximately 45-70 years old with a built in testosterone amplification sullinoid that is beginning to fail. Now that the testosterone hormone begins to wane we see an over whelmig urge to jump at the first chance of confrontation with anything the specimen finds threatining and the anti-logic system begins to replace the rational thinking one of normal people. This is also known as little man syndrome or one with a small pen*s.

Another excellent example of such negative testosterone in the blood system would be every major miltary decision George W. Bush has made in the last 7 years.

I believe either a replacement sullinoid or pen*s pump should do the trick to get these badasses back on the right track

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
McCain isnt out of touch. THey are just liars trying to get us to believe insane things. Theres no way to make their craziness sound good so he is forced to sound like an idiot.

Who cares what he meant. If he is that stupid and cant make precise clear sentences , he isnt fit for president. What he said was obviously what we did, invade another country. If he cant clarify some other meaning he's an idiot. Presidents need to speak very carefully.

Doesnt matter, the western owners are going to be doing insane things in our future....if u cant see thru the insanity then....then i just dont know what to think......stay tuned....the bankers own us and will do whatever they feel like. U are nothing to them. what do rich peple care about us....very few do and they arent the owners.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I posted this in another thread but it must be stated here:

What the Russians do not realize is that it is not 1968, you just cant invade a country, unless you create a false-flag, go to the UN to cry about it, cry about when the UN doesnt do anything, and then go it alone. Jeeze, what rank-amateurs the Russians are!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Actually, Iraq said it would comply with the UN resolutions imposed upon it in the last few weeks leading up to the war. Fearing that we would not be able to start our unjustifiable war against Iraq, George Bush issued an the ultimatum. Bush insisted that Saddam and his sons must leave Iraq in the next 24 hours or face the penalty. This was an absurd request with which he knew would not be complied. We started our "shock and awe" campaign against the country of Iraq and its people 24 hrs. later.

I sometimes wonder what ultimatum Bush would have issued if Saddam and his sons had left???? Perhaps Bush would have insisted they commit suicide. The point is, Bush was bent on getting us into Iraq by any means that he could dupe his base into believing (WMDs, connections to 9/11, non-compliance with UN resolutions, etc.). Anyone who still believes we were justified in invading Iraq would most likely believe, given it was stated by Bush, McCain, or any other Republican politician, that the sky was red, that pigs could fly, or that hell had frozen over.

Peace out and remember, voting for a chimp would be better than voting for a Republican politician. If given the choice between two options, the chimp would choose the right option 50% of the time. And a 50% success rate is much better than any of the current Republicans could ever hope to achieve.

Oh, and by the way, the "chimp" comment in no way is a slur aimed at Obama. Sorry, I just had the feeling that some might take it that way.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
What's Odessa? Is that a country or something? Or do you mean Ossetia? The South Ossetia that's part of Georgia?

Oh, right, you get things from thinkprogress.org. You don't worry about that sort of thing.

I am sure it gave you endless pleasure to catch me on such a detail and for that pleasure you are VERY? welcome. Please do enjoy it to the fullest.

Now if only it dismissed my point....

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
It was only funny because I hate that site like nothing else.

How can I say anything about your point? It's McCain! I just figure we can laugh about it, so we don't have to cry...

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
IRONYYYY is all I can to this one.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Hey man I am truly happy to know I could bring a little joy to your life. And what better vehicle than McCain! Peace to you and yours!

[edit on 14-8-2008 by Animal]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sheridan

your comment about the CIA and blah blah blah, is pure speculation, they wouldn't be black ops if you knew about them. can we please stick to the facts here?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Maybe someone had better tap the old guy on the shoulder and show him some photos of current modern day Iraq....be sure to include a few pics of American and allied troops marching through the streets in occupation of a sovereign nation...maybe that will jog his memory a little.

Perhaps he has lost track of reality and thinks it is 1985

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

What better way to get back at Russia than to invade Cuba? It's time to make Russia squirm a little!

Because we are not Russia and when we start acting like them we will have lost the last tattered threads of moral authority or credibility we have left.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

What better way to get back at Russia than to invade Cuba? It's time to make Russia squirm a little!

And where would we find the troops? Russia sees us as a toothless tiger knowing we are painfully overextended with our troops. Our only recourse is economic and poltical sanctions.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

It seems that you are building your logic around the fetish of "making Russia squirm". It's this kind of attitude that ultimately leads to tragic conflicts like the one we are witnessing. You are stuck in the dead of the Cold War age, and it will take a generation change to arrive to a more reasonable view of the world.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join