It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greater and Lesser Antilles COULD be Atlantis. Does anyone know why it couldn't be?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I know that there are allot of threads about Atlantis but I felt the need to start this one to show something very interesting that I found when searching Google Earth.

Image link 1

Image link 2

Plato states that Atlantis is across from the Straits of Gibraltar so I went to Google Earth and drew a straight line from the Straits of Gibraltar across the Atlantic Ocean and the line ended at the Greater and lesser Antilles.

Now the Antilles is a ring of islands and in the middle of this ring is a flat rectangle plain we call the Caribbean Sea. North of this Sea is a mountain range. Everything seems to add up to this being where Atlantis civilization once thrived.

At one time in history all of this was connected to the Americas North and South. This would explain allot of findings in North America that defy explanation.

Article link

The feature’s on this skull are not characteristic of Indians but is in fact characteristic of Caucasian. This brings into question how did this person get to North America? My above image’s from Google Earth shows it is plausible for Atlantis to have been located in the Antilles and the Caribbean Sea.

I open this thread for discussion if anyone would like to discuss this subject with me. I am eager to see all info that could and may be submitted. I’m also hoping to hear from Byrd since he is the number one expert on this subject.

Star

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I also believe the Caribbean was the place Plato was talking about. However, the Critias cannot be directed toward the Mesoamerican culture at present. Nothing matches. The Natives didn't have horses, they didn't worship a sea god (but they did worship a rain god), they didn't sacrifice bulls and they didn't go to war with the Greeks.

There is one group of people who could have done these things. They are known as the Sea Peoples. The Sea Peoples contacted many cultures within the Mediterranean. Some of these people worshiped bulls, some of these people had horse races and some of these people worshiped Posidon, the sea god.

The Sea Peoples came in conflict with Egypt and some of them were captured and made slaves. Ramses had drawings made of this victory and he shows the enemy wearing helmets with two horns coming out of it.

There is one pattern that is always common with the ancient island peoples of the Atlantic and Mediterranean. This is the Cross. The cross was used by the Celts, the Phoenicians and by a mysterious culture of ancient Cuba.

1. It seems the Celts designed the layout of Atlantis, with the use of their cross.

2. It seems the Phoenicians provided the names of the 10 kings of Atlantis.
I also think they provided the horse race portion as well.

3. It seems the Minoans were the basis for the bull worship.

4. It seems the sinking of the Caribbean provided the submerged island detail of the story.

All these cultures were island people and the question remains, "Were they all in contact with one another through a sea faring nation?"

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Hi lostinspace, thanks for replying. I have heard of the sea people but I honestly have not done any research on them. I will do the research and then get back with you. Do you recommend any reliable links for me to start my research?

Can you give references to #1 and #2 in your post?

The earliest writings about Atlantis that I know of is from Plato, other than cultures writing about lost civilizations due to flooding.

Also the earliest writings that I am aware of is from Mesopotamia, is that wrong? Also there are cave drawings of animals and such all over the world that date back even farther. This really isn't a language but it could have been an attempt to tell a story. My point is that we really do not know what happend around 12,000 years ago other than an ice age that melted the glaciers and caused mass coastal flooding which is how and when Atlantis civilization ended according to Plato.

Well I'm off to bed, early to work tomorrow. I will write some more after I have done some research into the Sea People. Could you please post some links for me if you have some time?

Thanks
Star

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The Lesser and Greater Antilles can only be Atlantis if they were home to a bronze age civilisation some 6,000 years before the start of the bronze age, invaded the Mediterranean (why?) and were defeated by Athens (some 6,000 years before Athens existed). Otherwise, whatever else they might be, they cannot be Atlantis

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The best way to prove a point: Ask a question you know no-one can answer or one you'll never accept the answer to!!!

No one can give a direct answer to why it couldnt be Atlantis, unless we have already found Atlantis (which we all know is impossible to say since there are a million and one theories and simply saying "no" never seem to suffice).

Of course it COULD be Atlantis, in any number of a gazillion scenarios where each is more unlikely than the next!

[edit on 14-8-2008 by merka]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The whole planet "was" atlantis. It was called the pre-flood world. Genisus and the myth of atlantis are very similar.........

Atlantis grew arrogant pissed off "their" gods and was flooded, er , sunk into the ocean.........

Noah's flood the world pissed of God and he destroyed it beneath the waves of a global flood............

Kinda similar don't ya think...........

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Yeah its pretty similar.

If we ignore every single thing Plato said.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by merka]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Stari

Here's a reply to #1

After a closer look I would say the Celtic Cross is a modified Sun Cross of the Nordic people. The Christian monks may have extended the beams outside the circle to look more like the Crucifix.

It seems the Nordic Bronze Age people all used the Sun Cross symbol in their worship. The Sun Cross is sometimes referred to as Odin's Cross.The Vikings were known to reach the America's before Christopher Columbus. They could have been a part of this Atlantis legend.

I found it interesting that the Nordic Bronze Age culture worshipped twin deitys. Plato says that the 10 sons of Poseidon were 5 twin sets. You can read this near the end of the Nordic Bronze Age link.

I'll give details of #2 later.

Sun Cross

Sun Wheel

Nordic Bronze Age

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I did not know about the Sea people because they lived almost 11,000 years after Atlantis. My main study is around 30,000 to 10,000 years ago. Although I do research on the Egyptians and especially the Mayans it is not my main study.

Originally posted by Essan
The Lesser and Greater Antilles can only be Atlantis if they were home to a bronze age civilisation some 6,000 years before the start of the bronze age, invaded the Mediterranean (why?) and were defeated by Athens (some 6,000 years before Athens existed). Otherwise, whatever else they might be, they cannot be Atlantis

I do not quite understanding what you are saying here. First off what is confusing me is that you are assuming that Athens did not exist 12,000 years ago (and I mean no disrespect here) so if there is proof of this can you please add reliable links on this thread so I can read up on why this cannot be true. Thank you.

I believe that Athens name carried on for the thousands of years after the fall of Atlantis. If the name and the story of Atlantis held on for that many thousands of years then it could be true as well for Athens.

I do believe that the Antilles had the capability of making metals and whatever they needed before the area was sunk below the Caribbean Sea. Did this answer your (why?) question. If not can you please restate the question. Thank you.

Originally posted by merka
No one can give a direct answer to why it couldnt be Atlantis, unless we have already found Atlantis (which we all know is impossible to say since there are a million and one theories and simply saying "no" never seem to suffice).

This is very true. No one knows for sure where Atlantis was at. I personally believe it will never be found. By the time the Caribbean (where I think Atlantis is at) or any other Sea or Ocean dries up it will be too late for anyone to find Atlantis. Will they even be looking when this happens? Who knows if humans will even still be here or be extinct when that happens.

All we have right now are theories so I guess everyone here who likes to discuss the subject of Atlantis can call themselves theorists.

Star

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Thanks Lostinspace, I did find a few links on the Sea People. I will definately be reading over your new material tomorrow evening. It is once again bed time, early work day again tomorrow. I can't wait for the weekend!

Star

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I wonder if they worshiped the bull like how people a country.

Originally posted by lostinspace
a mysterious culture of ancient Cuba.

Do you know what their name was?

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Shawn B.]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by StariI do not quite understanding what you are saying here. First off what is confusing me is that you are assuming that Athens did not exist 12,000 years ago (and I mean no disrespect here) so if there is proof of this can you please add reliable links on this thread so I can read up on why this cannot be true. Thank you.

He is correct. There's agriculture sites in Greece that date to 6,000 BC (and thereabouts) but no real cities. These older settlements belonged to people who lived there before the Greeks moved in (about the time that the pyramids were being built) :
en.wikipedia.org...

The Minoans showed up about that time:
en.wikipedia.org...

Their civilization died in part because the eruption of Thera disrupted their culture and killed most of the royalty: www.therafoundation.org...

The paleolithic civilizations (pre 3000 BC) left cave paintings which are lovely but do not indicate a technological civilization:
www3.interscience.wiley.com...

(there's lots of books on the archaeology of Athens and Greece, with neat photos. Back in 2007 a discovery was announced of a settlement that dated to 6,000 BC in that area: www.greendiary.com... )

I believe that Athens name carried on for the thousands of years after the fall of Atlantis. If the name and the story of Atlantis held on for that many thousands of years then it could be true as well for Athens.

Compare "Atlantis" to "Troy". In the case of "lost Troy" there are hundreds of Greek plays that talk about the heroe of Troy, name the major leaders, and there are thousands (literally) of paintings of the heroes and their deeds on vases and pottery and statues all over Greece and the Mediterranean.

There is not a SINGLE image/painting/poem/play about Atlantis anywhere outside of Plato's book (this also includes no Egyptian references.)

All we have right now are theories so I guess everyone here who likes to discuss the subject of Atlantis can call themselves theorists.

The problem with the theories is that most of the people who create them never actually read Plato. They don't mention the 10 cities, the kings, the structure of the land, the size of the land, the race courses, etc. They also don't mention Plato's final word which is that it didn't entirely sink but became an un-navigatable stretch of mud flats the size of a continent.

And that it ruled the Mediterranean world (or a larger area) for quite awhile (meaning that there would be pottery and trade goods from it all over the area.) In other words, if we went digging into garbage heaps around the world from the 1960's, we would find TONS of stuff saying "made in China" on it. But when we dig into ancient sites we don't find the same kind of artifact showing up all over the world.

I haven't een anyone actually address ALL the points that Plato used to identify Atlantis and come up with a good candiate. The "Sea People" have been mentioned ... but they didn't live on a continent with 10 cities and 10 kings that was a series of concentric circles. The Minoan civilization was another good candidate (particularly when Thera blew up) but Crete never dissolved into a giant mud flat and the Minoans never ruled Egypt or Sumeria or a lot of other places.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shawn B.
I wonder if they worshiped the bull like how people a country.

Originally posted by lostinspace
a mysterious culture of ancient Cuba.

Do you know what their name was?

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Shawn B.]

I don't think anybody knows what culture is responsible for the petroglyphs on the Island of Youth next to the Cuban main land. What we do know are the tribes that were inhabiting the Caribbean during the arrival of Columbus. The Ciboney, sometimes called Guanahatabeys, were the first to arive to the Caribbean area. It is believe that these people were eventually overtaken by the Tainos. The Tainos were also called Arawak. Then the tribes of the Caribs almost wiped out the Tainos if it wasn't for the Spanish involvement. The Caribs came up from South America. They were very aggressive and warlike. Christopher Columbus found the last of the Ciboney on the western tip of Cuba.

Did you know there's mysterous sunken ruins off the coast of western Cuba?

Ancient Caribbean Migrants

If you scroll down to see the Crossed Oval pattern in the Isle of Youth you'll see something interesting. If you superimpose the cross over one of the multiringed circles (the upper left one is the best), you'll see the layout of Atlantis. Plato said there were mutliple circular canals alternating with circular portions of land. The ships would enter the island through the cross portions.

Earthfiles- The oval cross in the Isle of Youth

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Not big enough. Atlantis was on an island big enough to have a large agricultural base. Look no further than the sunken Azores Plateau, which is more due west of Gibraltar, and if elevated to above sea level would much more closely match Plato's description.

Maybe even including the "elephants," which could have been a few surviving North American mammoths still around from the last Ice Age.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Flood Link 1
Flood Link 2

Here are a ton of flood myths that have been told throughout known written history. I have provided a couple of good links.
Now let’s look at natural disasters that have happened more geologically recently:
Recent Natural Disasters

Natural disasters happen all the time and that is how I believe the knowledge of Atlantis or any remnants of the lost city did not survive.

We already know that there was a library of Alexandria but what we do not know is what was in the tons of text within its walls.
Source Link to Alexandria Library

It is generally thought to have been established around the third century BC but the exact date of its beginning is unknown. Why is this relevant to anything? I believe within the library held all of the texts of Atlantean history and that is where the original knowledge of Atlantis came from until finally Plato wrote the story down.

Originally posted by Byrd
The paleolithic civilizations (pre 3000 BC) left cave paintings which are lovely but do not indicate a technological civilization:
www3.interscience.wiley.com...

Your link to interscience did not work for me… cookies timed out.

Rock Art

This link to cave art shows concentric circles along with what looks like an alien standing next to the circles. Could those circles mean Atlantis?

More rock art circles. Thanks for the link to Earthfiles lostinspace.

We also have the image that Paulina sent to Ms. Howe with the concentric circles at the Isle of youth. The image is about half way down the page.

These circles are everywhere in human history… what do they mean? Maybe it was the symbol that meant Atlantis. I have not heard anything else that makes any sense yet. Does anyone have any further knowledge of these circles?

Originally posted by Nohup
Not big enough. Atlantis was on an island big enough to have a large agricultural base. Look no further than the sunken Azores

Like Byrd said, Plato writes that after Atlantis sunk into the Sea there was a muddy shoal left behind and made it impossible to reach what was left of Atlantis. Is there anything like that between Gibraltar and the Azores?

If you are looking at the Caribbean Sea as the Sea in which Atlantis sunk, then the Sargasso Sea could be what Plato was speaking about. A section of the Atlantic Ocean full of now seaweed. Geologists do not know how this seaweed came to be in this spot like it is.
Source link to Sargasso Sea

Star

new topics

top topics

join