It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faster than light travel may be possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
One of the heavily debated issues regarding aliens visiting Terra is that nothing can get close to the speed of light and the distances make space travel difficult. An article in the USA Today is about the possibility of faster than light travel:

www.usatoday.com...

This is theoretical, but is it possible aliens who are millions of years ahead of us already travel faster than light?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Since there's been some suggesttion of naturally occurring forces that are faster than light speed, I don't see why it isn't possible in some way by harnessing it.

Is a gamma ray burst faster than light? www.etheric.com...

Possibly harnessing these energies:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Einstein's equations did NOT state that FTL was impossible. They state only that a vehicles mass approached infinity when the vehicle speed approached the speed of light.

His equations are accurate provided that his assumptions were correct. There is a great debate on this fact. As it appears that mass is not a constant, but is a variable. But, I digress...

I believe that FTL is possible. ANd I will explain why...

In the 1940's Scientists were convinced that the speed of sound could never be broken. THe reason was because as the vehicle's speed increased, the pressure of the air on the plane would go to infinity. THis is the coefficient of pressure limitation.

we all know that the X-1 broke the sound barrier. it is known as the MACH effect. We have planes that can go many times the speed of sound. ANd NASP was working on engines that could go 20 to 50 times this speed. But how?

If Cp / C approached infinity then how can you overcome this problem? Well, the engineers devised a cone. the air could enter the cone and it would negate the apparent infinite pressure problem.

it turns out that the speed of light barrier is mathematically identical to the speed of sound barrier. Here is the equation that shows that the vehicle would never go "faster" than the speed of light. THe equation is clear. when Cp/c approachs 1, the equation goes infinite. Simple math. simple result.

www2.slac.stanford.edu..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

The equation is identical to that of a airplane moving though the sky. Only the Pressure of the air on the engine is what goes to infinity. So how did the engineers go around this problem? Well, what they did was add a cone to the inlet of the engine. look at the typical engine layout. that is the purpose of the cone. See how the cone diverts the air into a different pressure profile as it enters the engine?

en.wikipedia.org...:Turbofan_operation.png" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

I have my own reasons (aside from these equations) for the belief that FTL is possible. But for this discussion, lets keep this elementary. The equations are clear.

I do not know how the mass can be prevented from going to infinity. But I am sure that there must be a way. It would be on the quantum level most certainly. The technique is beyond my abilities at this time. But, I am confident that some bright person would have the answer.

The story of breaking the speed of sound is an interesting one. ANd deserves great study. THe world was amazed when the X-1 flew! Is because "everyone" just "knew" that the speed of sound was a limit that could never be breached! Amazing how short our memories are....

When an expert says that something can't be done, he is almost always wrong. But when an expert says that something can be done, he is always right.....

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 高薄鸿

I had also heard Einstein was modifying his theories to allow for faster than light. I have to find the source for where I read it. Thank you for the input.

top topics

join