It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honeybee Crisis NOT Over Yet....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Honeybee deaths reaching crisis point

Britain's honeybees have suffered catastrophic losses this year, according to a survey of the nation's beekeepers, contributing to a shortage of honey and putting at risk the pollination of fruits and vegetables.

The survey by the British Beekeepers' Association (BBKA) revealed that nearly one in three of the UK's 240,000 honeybee hives did not survive this winter and spring.

The losses are higher than the one in five colonies reported dead earlier this year by the government after 10% of hives had been inspected.

More...

When I have some time, I'll take a look at how things are progressing on this side of the pond.

Regardless, not good news, I'm afraid.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by loam]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I didn't think it was getting better considering here in the US, I have 2 acres of clover flowers and I will see like three bees.

So sad, so so so sad.

I stepped on one and got stung the other day. It hurt, but I immediately felt guilty because I thought: well there goes another one.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Does anyone know yet exactly what is/was killing them?
Some of us have suspected the likes of a plant growth regulator that has recently come to be used on almost all produce. The most common is Auxigrow. It contains 29% glutamate and I think 29% tyrosine.
And if they know do you think they will tell us or continue to blame it on some bacteria or fungus?

The truthinlabeling site said that they thought that the bee problem was connected to this and that growers would stop using it.

I sure hope so, as I am glutamate sensitive and can't eat commercially grown veggies. Worse still, the FDA has declared this stuff to be "natual" and therefore Organic growers could use it. So I go around with a headache/head fog of varying degrees all the time. That or I starve to death.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Agreed.

It's not going to get back to normal overnight, but here in Arizona I'm seeing and hearing encouraging things.

The south part of the state has been reporting quite a few swarms and that's all to the good.

Here in N/W Arizona (Kingman) I've seen quite a few vehicles that have hit swarms north of town and had a lot of bee bodies/remnants stuck on their grilles and windshields.

We've had a couple of swarms reported here in town.

In the last couple of weeks I've seen a couple of honeybees in my garden and one carpenter bee flitting through the garage.

Granted, not much, but more than there have been.

It may be the time of year and how far back time-wise the garden was planted, but we're having a lot more tomatoes come on the vine and the peppers are doing great.

As are the watermelons.
Growing like weeds they are and every couple of days we have to reroute the melon vines back into the garden so that the fruits are safe from the ravaging daschunds.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It's certainly good to hear that the bees are repopulating in some places, but here in Kentucky, they've been fairly non-existent for two years now, or at least their numbers have dwindled to the point of unexpected awareness.

Even the hornets and wasps have dwindled dramatically. I remember having to spray hives at least 3 times a year for a good 20 years running until two years ago. I haven't had to spray in two years, and the cans are getting dusty in the garage. It's very rare I see even one fluttering about, but the horseflies are abundant (the only allergy I have of course).

This is pure subjective speculation (redunt.?), but does anyone know if killer bees or those Japanese super bees can kill off colonies, yet stay completely incognito to the humans around?

I've got a couple acres of grass (best thing about Kentucky - it's everywhere really), and neither my riding mower or gas-powered weed eater has disturbed or provoked any retaliation or action from them if they are hiding somewhere, so I give this theory very little merit. Just pickin' at straws trying to come up with something really.

edit: "of" to "or"

[edit on 13-8-2008 by lagnar]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I have yet to see ONE honey bee this year!
Not that I've been sitting outside every day watching....
But, we have two fairly good-sized gardens. 80 tomato plants in one.

I have noticed a couple of Japanese hornets kill off ALL the carpenter bees on our porch. Those things are big!
I hate em.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
It's frustrating to think that there is still no conclusive evidence as to what has caused the CCD.

From my own observations, I am leaning to the mono-crop theory. I have a wide variety of plants in my yard and I have literally hundreds of bees. Maybe they have a biological need to have a wider variety of pollen to choose from and bees from the professional colonies just abandoned them in search of better nutrition.

I did see a disturbing sight in my yard that I can't explain. Dozens of bees swarming/eating a dead lizard. Is that common?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Good riddance I say they do nothing but cause annoyance and try to sting people there should be some type of government operation to wipe out all the bugs.
All these hippys that claim we need them are talking pure nonsense what we need is a War on Insects and get rid of them all once and for all.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Shamanator

Are you kidding?
Honey bees (IMO) are one of the most useful, productive insects we have!
The thing is, we still have hornets, wasps, yellow jackets and carpenter & bumble bees, that will sting you as well!

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

You are a genius. I suggest you get to work on some sort of anti-bee weapon immediately. Maybe the PTB will make you the Bee Czar.

I look forward to reading more of your inspired posts.
In ATS's current state, even honeybee threads are apt to get divisive.

[edit on 13/8/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies

Are you kidding?
Honey bees (IMO) are one of the most useful, productive insects we have!
The thing is, we still have hornets, wasps, yellow jackets and carpenter & bumble bees, that will sting you as well!

I'm completely serious Bee's kill thousands of people every year they are a menace and we should crop dust all of them with bug spray and we should do it worldwide.

Whats to lose some honey what's that compared to thousands of innocent lives .

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
thanks for posting this Loam,

here in lincolnshire i have seen a few but not as many as normal.

however.....i have not seen a single wasp all year !!!!!!!
anyone else noticed a shortage of wasps too ???

thanks

snoopyuk

new topics

top topics

join