It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary McKinnon - latest update

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

The European Court of Human Rights has stopped the extradition of Gary McKinnon to the USA temporarily so that his full case can be prepared and heard by the European Court in the next few weeks.

This is great news, and we hope that Human Rights will prevail in this matter when the full case is heard.

Ross

[edit on 13-8-2008 by nomadrush]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by nomadrush

Already being discussed in this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
why do you have - bts points?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by tigpoppa
why do you have - bts points?

It happens when you use the store function in MemCenter

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Dosnt matter if it was discussed in a previous thread, I dont read every thread, and this one came through twitter so thank you Glastonbury man, I am glad to be updated as im very interested in this particular case, If their is a God he sure as hell better shine on this case, McKinnon couldn't hurt a fly and everyone knows it.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Note sure about the points lol!

Thanks for the link to the other Gary McKinnon thread - I have had posted the e-mail address of the law lords on the other thread so please write in.

Ross

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Boostah

Just to be clear my intention was not to annoy anyone by pointing out this thread had already been posted, it is simply because multiple posts on the same topic are hard to keep track of, and arguments can go around in circles that way.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Everyone wants truth but you CAN'T breach a governments security to try and get it. When you break the law willingly you should be willing to pay the price.

I know I am the devils advocate here but he obtained access to files that were sensitive information. He breached areas that could have contained things that threatened national security. Thats not cool.

Much of Nasa's work is for the department of defense.. that being said when you hack nasa you hack the dod.

I don't think any country would take too kindly to an action like that.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I hear ya dude, thanks for explaining, roger wilco

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
You are missing the point, he is fighting not to be freed but to face trial in the UK. He has admitted he did something "wrong" but the USA would not allow extradition of a US citizen until he was tried there and proven guilty, whereas the Brits just throw their citizens to the lions!

The scene of the "crime" was the UK, therefore he should be tried in the UK

The injustice is the extradition.

Ross

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
As someone else mentioned, if NASA cant be bothered to secure their data then they should face the consequences.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Hear hear, Gary is by no means a super hacker and admits to it, if he was he wouldn't have got caught as he wasn't taking the necessary precautions. All in all his pursuit was an honorable one and the man should only be honored, he just went about it the wrong way unfortunately, and that landed him in deep doo doo. That could have been any of us, and probably was many others besides Gary. It is not real justice if hes put away for 50 years or whatever ludicrous amount they suggested .

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomadrush
You are missing the point, he is fighting not to be freed but to face trial in the UK. He has admitted he did something "wrong" but the USA would not allow extradition of a US citizen until he was tried there and proven guilty, whereas the Brits just throw their citizens to the lions!

The scene of the "crime" was the UK, therefore he should be tried in the UK

The injustice is the extradition.

Ross

If that is your Point of View, then I do agree that he should be given every last opportunity before Extradition. However, I also agree that what he did is Harmful, Dangerous, and Downright Inexcusable. I am not saying that he had malevolent intentions, but hacking into a Government Database is a Serious Issue.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Taken from Project Camelots Website:

"On the European Court of Human Rights to hear McKinnon Case:

I am concerned over the speed of this now. Regarding Abu Hamza, (a radical Muslim preacher accused of helping to set up a terrorist training camp in the United States), we heard they are also hearing his case and the UK is staying extradition on this until the European Court rules:

Radical Islamic cleric Abu Hamza has extradition to US postponed

Excerpt:

Last Updated: 12:08AM BST 05 Aug 2008

The European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg gave the order as the 48-year-old's lawyers claimed he would be kept in inhuman conditions.
US authorities want to jail Hamza in America's most secure jail, the Supermax ADX Florence in Colorado, which houses 38 convicted international terrorists.
His lawyers claim that prisoners live in boxes, there is only two hours exercise per week, there are no family visits and every correspondence is intercepted.
The Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has already approved Hamza's extradition and last month Hamza was refused leave to appeal to the Law Lords, the highest court in England and Wales.

A Home Office spokesperson said: "The decision is a matter for the European Court. We shall seek to have his case expedited so it is heard as soon as possible." End excerpt.

But you can see that THEY ARE ALREADY SAYING THEY WANT TO SEND Hamza to the Colorado Supermax... So the European Court could say that they have tangible evidence of what could be termed 'cruelty or possible inhumane treatment'... In Gary's case they do NOT yet, to my knowledge have any indication of where they plan to send him. This could be an indicator that may make arguing the case more difficult for Gary's side.

And efforts to contact Majestic via DB may have moved the timeline because they (the PTB) are afraid we might gather more evidence and a following for Gary that would force the secret space program into the public arena. Because of this, they may be escalating matters.

But I want to stress that the evidence Gary found for the secret space program is likely his only TRUMP CARD. If he doesn't play it then the Americans may be able to simply promise not to torture him...

But I am no legal expert... What they may be doing behind the scenes could be something like, 'you give us Hamza and you can keep Gary....!!'

Who knows."

What a lot of the global (sic) population don't seem to understand about Gary's case, in particular, is that he did very little, in the way of damage. The main damage was to the American glass ego.

They have managed to get an extradition order based on an UNFAIR and BIASED extradition treaty, (that denegrates British citizens to a level where they have no rights to a fair trial,) that breaks human rights written into the British statute books in the form of the Human Rights Act.

This is what Gary's fight is mainly about.

The Law Lords made a grave error of judgement when granting extradition and their published ruling has a MAJOR error in it. It basically assumes that if found guilty in the US Gary will serve 7-10 years and then be repatriated.

There is no mention of 7-10 years PER COUNT!!

It's about time the Brits started making as much noise about this as possible!

Thanks to all those that already are!

new topics

top topics

join