It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Americans Back Holding Olympics in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Most Americans Back Holding Olympics in China

AP Poll: Most Americans back holding Olympics in China

By ALAN FRAM Associated Press Writer WASHINGTON August 13, 2008 (AP)

The Associated Press

Most Americans think staging the Olympics in China was a good decision despite China's human rights abuses, Beijing's smog and threats of attacks by militants, according to a poll released Wednesday. The Associated Press-Ipsos survey also found that by a slender margin, more Americans are rooting for the U.S. team to capture as many medals as possible than are savoring athletes' achievements no matter where they're from. Gymnastics remains the most popular sport, though swimming has overtaken track and field as No. 2. By 55 percent to 34 percent, respondents said the International Olympic Committee's selection of China was the right choice rather than a mistake, a sentiment expressed evenly across party and ideological lines.

olympics comes to the home of one fifth of the humanity,it is a very important moment for the history of olympic games.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
that's a typical western report.have to admit the facts because that is undeniable fact,but at same time,not forget to bash china on some issues to try to influence public opinions when reporting the results of the poll.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
May i ask you, haidian, why in the world is it so important for China to please the western world?

Ok, so you made a nice opening ceremony. Ok, the olympics in China seem well organized. Ok, you invested a lot of money and effort into all this. And? What does it bring to you, what does it bring to the common chinese person?

Please understand i'm not trying to bash you or China, while i didn't agree with the olympic games being held by China, what's done it's done, it's too late to argue about that. I'm just trying to understand the psychology behind all this.

You'd think i'd be capable to understand, because i come from an ex-communist country and i've seen it all so to say. I lived in communist times and seen a lot of propaganda and BS, i lived in capitalism and seen a lot of propaganda and BS, i lived in my country, torn between the east and the west, and i lived in Western Europe.

And yet i don't understand what's China trying to prove to the west. And why do you care so much about what the westerners think of you.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
i didnt invest any money or time.i come here for fun,and i found there are so few chinese people here in this forum and i just like to add some chinese people's voice.do i have to please you?i dont see i did anything for that purpose,and this poll was not made by china.so who likes to please who?i dont see where are you coming from.

beside,i always agree,talk about issues,not the posters.i have no interest talking about other posters here.having different ideas and learn to understand from each other is forums all about.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
china is always trying to be lowkey and keeping a low profile,but it just cant,china threat theory is prevalent in the west and china bashing is very trendy and many people just jumped on the bandwagon.now some people blame china trying to please the west,that'so funny,huh.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by haidian
i didnt invest any money or time.

I didn't mean you personally, but China and the chinese people. But you being a citizen of China, your money were spend in organizing the olympics too i guess.

do i have to please you?i dont see i did anything for that purpose,and this poll was not made by china.so who likes to please who?i dont see where are you coming from.

The poll was not made by china, but you posted it here. Since you posted it here it's obvious of some interest to you. If a poll about what the americans think of the olympics being held in china is of interest to you, then i assumed you also have an interest in what the americans or the rest of the western world think of the olympic games in China. Just some twisted logic of mine.

Besides, i wasn't refering just to your posts and this thread, i was also refering to a general trend i noticed. I'm not saying it's the absolute truth, correct me if i'm wrong. It's just my personal and biased oppinion that the chinese people are putting a lot of effort into "proving" something with the olympics.

beside,i always agree,talk about issues,not the posters.i have no interest talking about other posters here.having different ideas and learn to understand from each other is forums all about.

Totally 100% agreed. I don't wanna discuss posters neither, just issues. I'm here to learn from others. That's why i asked you, to learn from you, get some oppinion from someone who's chinese, not from the media.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
As some might know, I am not a fan of Commie China. However, it's pathetic of our media and politicians to use every possibility to bash China.

They have greatly organized these Olympic Games and I think people should not try to connect politics to sports. Let's just enjoy the Olympics and praise China for the great organization and atmosphere.

Of course China violates human right laws badly, but then again the US is not any different if not worse.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
As some might know, I am not a fan of Commie China. However, it's pathetic of our media and politicians to use every possibility to bash China.

They have greatly organized these Olympic Games and I think people should not try to connect politics to sports. Let's just enjoy the Olympics and praise China for the great organization and atmosphere.

Of course China violates human right laws badly, but then again the US is not any different if not worse.

I agree with you for the most part.

Im quite disappointed they cheated when it comes to gymnast. Some argue a 2-3 year age difference isn't a big deal, but in reality its a HUGE benefit.

China still probably would have won the gold as one of our gymnast screwed us big time in terms of bad performance. In the end though, cheating is cheating regardless.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
i dont really understand what you are talking about and i checked american news report on this competition and didnt find any clue either,you mean there is a age limit for the athletes in olympics?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
You sound kind of defensive haiden. Most Americans are aware that the Olympics move every four years so it's really not that big a deal. From what I have seen your favorite country is doing a fine job. I have always thought the Olympics were a way to promote world peace and foster world brotherhood. We are all human after all.

top topics

join