It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI Question.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Hi guys, just a quickie..... If SETI gets funding from government then why do the government quickly dismiss mass ufo sightings as say flares or swamp gas or whatever?
If they had a true intrest in finding life out there then simply dissmissing every ufo sighting goes against logic.... Im sure you guys will put me strait..... Peace

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by global_cordon

Because SETI is nothing more than a disinformation front for the US government. They can control what is found and what is hidden.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
By the lack of reply's to my post i think you may be rite... lol

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Admittedly I don't know SETI's funding status. but...

Yes, if the government funds it, then they effectively control it. It would be sooo much better if SETI was international and a 100% privately funded organization.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
Admittedly I don't know SETI's funding status. but...

Yes, if the government funds it, then they effectively control it. It would be sooo much better if SETI was international and a 100% privately funded organization.

Oh for sure but i think the powers that be would never let that happen. Like i said b4 the lack of response to my post means that probably no 1 really believes SETI isnt compromised.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
They just want to keep all the really good info to themselves, They fund it so they control it

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
seti had its nasa funding cut years ago. They are funded through private donations. Like microsoft guy paul allen ($12million).

seti used to get around $17million a year from nasa. They now run on $5 million a year donations.

jra

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by global_cordon
Like i said b4 the lack of response to my post means that probably no 1 really believes SETI isnt compromised.

Or that not a lot of people go into this area of the forum much.

I just want to ask, what SETI organization do you believe is compromised, because there are a number of different SETI organizations and I don't see a specific reference to any particular one. I assume you mean the SETI Institute, which has had some funding from NASA for astrobiology research projects, but recieves private contributions for its SETI searches. I don't really think a not-for-profit organization that has multiple private investors would be compromised by the Government.

And then there is SETI@home, which has no connection to NASA or the SETI Institute. They get very little private funding and no Government funding what so ever. I don't really see how or why they'd be compromised.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
SETI@home really has no official connection to SETI itself? I don't understand that. Is the data from the radio telescopes freely available or do they send it to the SETI@home team?

jra

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GrayFox

They (SETI@home) piggyback on other projects that use the telescope and they use whatever data is collected for themselves. I'm not sure on the exact details of how it all works though.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
dude seti..sux...its a stupid project about listening to the space...
and if they find anything good..they just keep then to thenselfs..or whoevers funding them...they should pay the people that are gulluble to use theyr seto home program...GOD I HATE THEM...using peoples computers..and not telling...bastards

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra
reply to post by GrayFox

They (SETI@home) piggyback on other projects that use the telescope and they use whatever data is collected for themselves. I'm not sure on the exact details of how it all works though.

Hmm.... it seems like SETI basically just allows them to do what they need to do. SETI@home has devices connected to the Arecibo radio telescope. So I guess in a way, they are connected, but they're separate organizations that do their own work.

Originally posted by Unisol
dude seti..sux...its a stupid project about listening to the space...
and if they find anything good..they just keep then to thenselfs..or whoevers funding them...they should pay the people that are gulluble to use theyr seto home program...GOD I HATE THEM...using peoples computers..and not telling...bastards

It's stupid to try to find alien radio signals? Why is that? Sure, it's at least remotely possible that some information is being kept secret, but how? SETI@home isn't funded by the government. Do you have some proof that information is being kept from us? Also, SETI and SETI@home have made some astronomy related discoveries (helped discover pulsars and stuff like that). jra explained pretty well why SETI is probably not compromised.

We just aren't doing everything in our power to search. We've only searched a small section of the haystack so far.

top topics

join