It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia and Russia agree on truce

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Georgia and Russia agree on truce

news.bbc.co.uk

Russia and Georgia have agreed a truce brokered by French President Nicolas Sarkozy, and have approved the principles of a full peace plan.

The exact details of the proposals appeared to be still under discussion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/12/2008 by dalan.]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
What does this mean for the US?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

It means absolutely nothing. Sorry.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Russia is full of it.

They will say what they need to say to stall the possibly of our military involvement until they have accomplished their goals, and at this rate it won't take long.

Russia is still dropping bombs as we speak.

Russia is calling Georgia's President a terrorist, and saying its a war on terror. Now they are justifying the situation, I have a hard time believing they are just going to retreat now they have pushed near the Capital.

They are going to keep pushing...

Russia has also signed nothing, so this agreement is nothing but smoke and mirrors and a stall tactic until Russia accomplished their goals and withdrawals.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

So Russia is basically using US tactics?

How very clever.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth

Where did you get that from, you'd think Georgia would agree if the bombs are still falling?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mammoth

Originally posted by xstealth

Where did you get that from, you'd think Georgia would agree if the bombs are still falling?

Because I just saw a live reporter tuck and run on the news. I've already read several articles saying the bombing continued today.

Yes the Georgians would agree, they are fighting a war they can't win. But if you watch the Russian news sources they say Georgia hasn't agreed yet. And I wouldn't be surprised if no side has agreed yet, Russia hasn't signed anything.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Bah, I wanted them to take Georgia... they were asking for it.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

How very clever.

Care to back that up?

We said we would stop an attack in order to stall a world power and then kept attacking?

No, of course we didn’t. Stop spreading lies.

Your hate is vile and the lies you spread lower the quality and credibility of ATS.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Nothing has been signed just yet it's all speculation.

the Russians wont sign squat until it has a HANDLE on this situation in their favor. Hopefully they will just take Georgia.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The article points out some very specific actions are to happen. Some of which include Georgian military personnel returning to their permanently assigned positions. Some of those positions were inside Ossetia before the conflict. The Russians were there too. They have been there for a number of years.

All of this seemed to have occurred immediately after a 'cease fire' was called in response to frequent 'skirmishing' incidents between the two. How will this be prevented from occurring again, I wonder?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

How very clever.

Care to back that up?

We said we would stop an attack in order to stall a world power and then kept attacking?

No, of course we didn’t. Stop spreading lies.

Your hate is vile and the lies you spread lower the quality and credibility of ATS.

I meant that Russia was calling Georgians "terrorists" to justify attacking them.

Sounds a lot like another Country I know...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixBaller04

It means absolutely nothing. Sorry.

Everyone on here kept saying that the conflict between Georgia and Russia was going to cause WWIII.

If they are talking about a truce now, I don't see this leading us into the war to end all wars.

Also, could you clarify how it means absolutely nothing? I thought there was a rule against one-liners?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It sounds to me like Russia is merely showing off.

If America trained and armed the Georgian soldiers, it would be quite the slap in the face to have Russia show us that our training isn't worth $hit.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   

How very clever.

You know I dont agree with most of the things our country does, and I don't even agree with the war we still are fighting.

But, It is our country and im proud of it, and to compare Russia with us just pisses me off.

I agree everything is happening for the NWO, but I am an American and I will defend our countries name. The true patriots dont support the nwo, but we also don't forget not everything we do is evil.

It seems like this board is getting too liberal anti-American sometimes. What our country does isn't our choice; we just have no choice but to vote for a politician who says they are going to do what we want them to do, but thats never the case.

Instead we should focus on anti-corruption, like wars for oil. Greed and corruption is tearing us apart.

But to insult our country, is to insult the heros in the past who died for it.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Sorry man, but I wasn't insulting the American people, nor was I attacking the Bill of Rights or Constitution (unlike some officials I know).

I was merely saying that our "leaders" are using false propaganda as war tactics. If Russia stamped the Georgians as "terrorists" to have an excuse to attack them...well? Sounds like a strategy from right out of the Pentagon.

I will criticize the representatives that we pretend that we put in office, because every single one of them are working against the American people.

So don't get offended when I tell the truth pretty much.

So instead of getting angry with me for voicing my opinion, you all kind patriots should be writhing with hatred for the people ripping apart OUR Constitution.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Ungh, all of these are mere personal opinions based on rumors.
No point in getting into an argument over that.

My stance, Georgia was in the wrong by intentionally shelling a civilian populace.
Russia was in the wrong for going further than South Ossetia.

Outside of this, we have no credible information on what's going on right now other than there's a peace deal being discussed.

As for bombs falling, there are no confirmations of this, and I suspect that "live" news broadcast was the same one I saw a few days ago. They were talking about Russians targeting their news vehicles from the air right?

I've seen quite a few broadcasts, especially from western media, showing footage from a few days ago, with the LIVE sticker on it. But then again, the western media hasn't exactly been doing a very good job of reporting anything regarding this scenario.

Sky news was doing a fantastic job.
BBC was up-to-date, but horribly biased.
Russia Today was also up-to-date, and also very biased.
CNN, FOX, and MSNBC all had out of date information... and FOX spent more time on personal opinions of why "some people say" Russia is Hitler. (pretty pathetic attempt at newscasting if you ask me.)
I mean, if I wanted to hear stupid nationalistic opinions, I could go ask the hobos near the tracks what they think of the current situation.

Russia needs to be warned not to push further than South Ossetia... and Georgia needs to pay some serious consequences for purposely shelling a civilian populace.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Um this thread and srticle are from Tuesday. I would say that its null and void at this point eh?

top topics

join