It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Jobs Confirms iPhone Has a Kill Switch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Steve Jobs Confirms iPhone Has a Kill Switch

news.yahoo.com

Apple CEO Steve Jobs has confirmed that the iPhone 3G has a kill switch that can remotely remove software from the devices.
ADVERTISEMENT

Jobs told The Wall Street Journal that Apple needs the capability in case it inadvertently allows a malicious program -- such as an application that steals user's personal data -- to be distributed to iPhones through its App Store.

"Hopefully we never have to pull that lever, but we would be irresponsible not to have a lever like that to pull," Jobs said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Apparently, Big Brother uses Apple.

I'm surprised to see such a blatant admission that our privacy can be comprimised. But, I'm not holding my breath that peole will be up in arms over it.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Jobs told The Wall Street Journal that Apple needs the capability in case it inadvertently allows a malicious program -- such as an application that steals user's personal data -- to be distributed to iPhones through its App Store.

Of course people won't get up in arms over it because they'll buy into this BS excuse. Honestly though, if a person is truly paranoid about Big Brother, cell phones in general, and especially GPS enabled "smart phones" probably are a bad idea in the first place. They can track our whereabouts, access our communications, and even listen in to whatever is happening even with the phone turned off (I don't even trust that the old fix of removing your battery truly fixes that problem... most all GPS phones have a backup internal battery which I'm sure could provide them with at the least a ping target if someone wanted to track you down.)

I use a cell phone daily, but if I ever go on the lam, it will be the first thing I bailing wire to the underside of a semi heading in the completely oposite direction as me.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
If you are worried about this you need to get a life. Nothing else needs to be said.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I'm just impressed that this is even reported, hopefully it will get people a few to think a little bit deeper.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

Hey, that's a bit harsh, what's wrong with sharing information?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It's a completely legitimate reason to have a kill switch. Yes, it CAN be used for nefarious purposes, but there are countless other things out there that can be used for worse purposes. It's Apple, not the government.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Reform America]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reform America
It's a completely legitimate reason to have a kill switch. Yes, it CAN be used for nefarious purposes, but there are countless other things out there that can be used for worse purposes. It's Apple, not the government.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Reform America]

But, the argument could be made, it's irresponsible of the company to put it there, knowing it could be used for ill gain, and trusting only in human goodness that it won't be...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
If you are worried about this you need to get a life. Nothing else needs to be said.

Hey, you read, and even replied to the topic. The very act of doing so is in direct contradiction with your response. Are you aware of what website you posted on? There's a lot of topics here that are much less relevant than this one, where you can tell people to get a life.

I for one, don't like cell phones at all. For all the reasons given above. I do use one, on a daily basis for work. I keep a pre-paid phone, still in it's original packaging in my toolbox in the event of an emergency on the road. I don't like the idea that it's even possible for anyone to listen to my calls, use it as a transmitter, or locate me via GPS. These capabilities are not side-effects of other functionality, and thusly, someone must have wanted them there. Or, it could all just be BS CT hype and paranoia and I should get a life....

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

These capabilities are not side-effects of other functionality, and thusly, someone must have wanted them there. Or, it could all just be BS CT hype and paranoia and I should get a life....

That's exactly why I don't like cell phones. Plus the cancer theories.

i have one, but I only use it for long road trips, and even then, unless I actually need to make a call, I keep it with the battery and SIM card out.

If someone could prove that they WERE side-effects of other functions, that would be different, but until then, and even then, it's might suspicious.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
This is just another overblown everyone is out to get my privacy stories. I see no reason to hype this in the slightest. If anything, this is a good feature that will most likely never be used.

What are they going to do... take away your games? Oh no.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
i have one, but I only use it for long road trips, and even then, unless I actually need to make a call, I keep it with the battery and SIM card out.

I was shocked to learn when I recently switched my Razr for a Crackberry that the phone does not need the SIM card to operate as a beacon. By federal law, all new cell phones must be able to contact 911 even without the SIM in place. The girl at the T-Mobile store also told me that the tracking beacon inside will continue to function.

I still have the sim-less Razr and if you flip it open, it says "Emergency Calls Only" and has a sequence to press to cycle the emergency procedure for the phone.

(and yeah, I realize the irony in the fact that I am now carrying an even more easily tracked phone with me.)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer

What are they going to do... take away your games? Oh no.

The Germans said that in 1933 as well. Wasn't long before the books were burning.

This is the start of a very nasty slippery slope. Apple is giving itself the power to screen private content.

What happens when Apple expands their censorship beyond apps? What happens when people find their data erased or blocked because Apple deemed it was "inappropriate"?

Imagine the howling if Bill Gates or George W. did this. But Jobs acts like Big Brother on Apple's own "1984" screen, and all is well...

top topics

join