It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you archive what you find on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I really don't know where this belongs so Mods feel free to move this thread.

Well I'm preparing my computer for shipment to the repair facility and I never knew it but I have close to 34GB of videos, pictures, audio clips and documents all related to UFOs, EBEs and General Conspiracies that I've collected and archived just from ATS!

I'm curious, does anybody else have this... habit?

[edit on 12-8-2008 by n0b0DY]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Yep, sure do.

Having your own library makes for handy reference, doesn't it?

A few months back I had to split the collection up, all the text, PDF, and graphics files are on this laptop. The videos got moved to my desktop development machine.

There isn't room for music on either, so I stuck a few 20 gig hard drives in an old K6-400 box and shared them out with NFS for a music dump. It logs in as the main user at boot and runs vino on login, so I can log in via VNC and rip new CDs when I buy them. Got a cheapo 5.1 surround system in the office and my wife's laptop, my laptop, and my development box are daisy-chained with stereo A-to-A cables so they all play sound through it. It isn't Dolby though
Maybe next year.

The setup works pretty well, all of my machines run Linux and the file sharing rarely has a hiccup (any problems are usually caused by brownouts). Compartmenting the storage distributes the free space across the boxen and also makes it easy to find things.

Need to run through and back some things up on DVD, free up some space that way. Both the primary machines are running low on disk space.

One of the most valuable tools I have found for locating PDF files is eMule. Usually when I read about a text, eMule can locate it and snag it. Reading PDFs for hours at a time sort of sucks though, so if it turns out to be something worth reading cover-to-cover I hit up Amazon for a used copy.

The downside is that some used copies of unusual books can cost upwards of 200 dollars (assuming you can even find them). It took quite a while to find "America Deceived" for less than $100.

How do you go about finding books that other texts or articles refer to?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
yeah...just in case they try to shutdown the net

the truth will be locked away to be shared once again

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Skipper1975

And that is a very real concern.

Have you ever considered setting up a LAMP at the house and running something like Astanda Directory Project to have your own spidering search engine?

ADP comes with a search spider that works very well and can be configured to spider endlessly, following links until there are no more links to follow or you run out of drive space.

It does pretty good, I run it on 2 websites for business clients and can't recall any problems with it.

The downside is that the algorhythm for fetching search results goes by strict keyword weight (AFAIK). There may be a relatively easy way to rewrite it, I haven't dug into it deep enough to know.

Been toying with the idea of whacking another Frankenbox onto the hub and setting up a search engine for the LAN "just in case"... just in case Google turns evil and starts censoring things that are not directly illegal just because it is convenient for them.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by Symbiote]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
No I don't archive. I bookmark threads or websites I might want to go back to, then delete them later. On one occasion I copied and pasted some posts from a banned member tagged with HOAX. It had information I was interested in. I like to decide for myself if something is a hoax, and I sensed the posts would get deleted, and they did. But then, as luck would have it, I accidentally deleted what I saved .....

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by n0b0DY
Well I'm preparing my computer for shipment to the repair facility and I never knew it but I have close to 34GB of videos, pictures, audio clips and documents

Data + repair shop = BACK YOUR DATA UP PRIOR !!!

Or you may never see it again. Not because of conspiracy or anything, heh, but because of soooo many shop blunders !!!

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by n0b0DY

Oh Hell Yeah!

Not only images and videos etc.. but really good threads too! For instance, any presentation that Internos (ATS Conspiracy Master) puts together goes immediately to my hard-drive and then to DVD back-up to keep for prosperity because it's always first class material!

IRM

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by n0b0DY

I use the Zotero Firefox Plugin to easily conserve and cross reference web pages. Some articles, like those found on the New York Times site become paid content once they are archived. This plugin is quite handy for these situations.

I also occasionally print some pages to a PDF file, giving me easy access later in an easy to read (and distribute) format.

I also use Video Downloader to save YouTube, GoogleVid etc videos to my HD for prosperity and future reference.

[edit on 13/8/08 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Yes, I do, but often don't keep the data for a long time; the exception is 9/11-related stuff. When you see evidence from both sides of the issue, it paints a picture of just how one-sided most of the evidence is, particulary that which came from websites that are dedicated to 9-11, regardless of their position on it.

Now survival info that is really instructive, I often just print that out, slide it into a plastic folder. A couple of diagrams purported to be of UFO schematics I have printed out as well.

Edit to add: Nobody, I think I should keep a copy of your avatar, as it always cracks me up!

[edit on 13-8-2008 by argentus]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I hear ya!
It kinda bugs me when ATS just willy nilly jumps onto anything and labels it HOAX. You never know when you call hoax on something thats been real the whole time.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

HA! Thanks. I have a whole library of these little guys!

top topics

join