It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacker Wins Extradition Delay

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

A British UFO enthusiast accused of the "biggest military hack of all time" has won a two-week delay on his extradition to the US.

Gary McKinnon, an unemployed 42-year-old, lost his House of Lords appeal against the extradition last month and faces up to 70 years in prison if convicted in the US of sabotaging vital defence systems

But his solicitors announced he had won a stay until August 28 by the European Court of Human Rights.

A brief statement said he has been granted "interim relief" until that date "for his application to be heard before the full chamber".
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/12/08 by niteboy82]

[edit on 12-8-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
This man DID NOTHING WRONG!

Anyone informed with the story would know this!

This is the only break this poor man has gotten. What a shame. Gary doesn't deserve 70 years in jail for trying to discover the truth through open doors.

He didn't even hack anything. Let him GO!!!!!

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/12/08 by niteboy82]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
"http://itn.co.uk/news/21d409c3cc6f433beef81811276ea34e.html"

Interesting.....

My title got all screwed up.

Thats what the mod squad is here for!

Waiting for correction

Mod hint:
Hacker wins extradition delay

[edit on 12-8-2008 by IMAdamnALIEN]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
They use the word sabotage! LOL

He accessed accounts without passwords or default passwords.

How in the world is this sabotage?

Please US government, DEFINE SABOTAGE!!!!!!!

You corrupt b-tards!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It's true. He didn't "hack" into anything. There was no security and no password he had to enter. So he's going to jail for stumbling upon UFO/ET information. What a crock of sh*t!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I really hope he can 'get away' with this.

He's fighting the good fight and being beaten by a scared government. They're acting like a cornered animal, he got them in a corner and they over-reacted.

To be honest it's a little pathetic punishing someone for their own blunders.

I'm rooting for you Gary!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ufo reality

It makes me mad too.

That's why I am following the case....

I want to see how evil our government really is!

If they treat him like a terrorist then all hope is lost......

Thanks for your reply!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanzibar

Absolutely correct!

Well said!

They are over reacting! They are making themselves look ridiculous!

LET GARY GO!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Exactly, he did nothing wrong that I can see. The relevant people on the NASA payroll should be the ones brought up on charges for being lax in security measures.

I still can't help but think it's a setup to spin a story.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
Exactly, he did nothing wrong that I can see. The relevant people on the NASA payroll should be the ones brought up on charges for being lax in security measures.

I brought that up in another thread about Gary.....

Thank you for bringing that point up!

They should be thanking Gary for letting them know how stupid they are and how lax their security really is......

Unbelievable!

LET GARY GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
He shouldn't be shipped off to the US and locked up for 70 years for what he did but for you to claim he has 'done nothing wrong' is incorrect. He has been charged with breaking particular laws and he admits,

'McKinnon has admitted in many public statements to unauthorised access of computer systems in the United States including those mentioned in the United States indictment. '

en.wikipedia.org...
www.wired.com...

Now, if someone took remote control of your computer you might just think they had 'done something wrong'. So why do you think it is any different because it is a computer hiding alleged 'secrets' of alien craft etc.?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Yet again our country bends over when the US tells us to, and can't wait ti offer up a sacrificial lamb to appease some embaressed jobsworth.

I seem to remember the US telling us to go suck an egg when we wanted some perpetrators of "friendly fire" to come over and testify at an inquest into the deaths of men they killed.

Nice to know the "special relationship" works both ways...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOpsychiczebra

Your talking lawfully wrong, I am talking morally wrong!

He has done nothing morally wrong at all. In fact what he was doing was just and should be commended! All I know, if he goes to jail for this, he will have some serious positive Karma for his heroic efforts!

Thanks for your reply!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
From what I understand the US couldn't place an extradition order on him unless the crime did more than 5,000 (dollars? euros? pounds?) worth of damage. So all of a sudden the US has found that he apparently damaged the computers.

I can't believe the US concocts such bollocks. And if it were a US citizen in the situation being wanted by the British the US would go ape-doodoo and protect its citizen.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Never thought of it that way!

Thanks for your reply!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

... They should be thanking Gary for letting them know how stupid they are and how lax their security really is......

Unbelievable!

What is unbelievable is that you think that if a criminal commits a crime easily that they should be let off with it.

If you store personal bank info on your computer, and you have poor security, then if someone stole your information remotely, you think that they would NOT doing anything wrong by stealing your credit card numbers and bank details etc? In fact YOU think that you should be thanking them for pointing out how easy it was for them to steal your bank details. lol.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Yet again, your examples don't have anything to do with this story!

Someone hacking into my bank account should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Someone walking through an open door and witnessing a cover up is something completely different. I think you may want to read a more in depth article on Gary, as you might change your mind.

Thanks for your reply!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN

Your talking lawfully wrong, I am talking morally wrong!

He has done nothing morally wrong at all.

You cannot justify NOT sending him to prison because you think he was morally right in his crime. Prison is for those who break the law, not morals. Therefore you must agree that if he has broken the law he should go to prison?

You obviously know he has broken the law, agreed that he has and therefore SHOULD go to prison?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
From what I understand the US couldn't place an extradition order on him unless the crime did more than 5,000 (dollars? euros? pounds?) worth of damage. So all of a sudden the US has found that he apparently damaged the computers.

Where did you get that information?

Interesting, very interesting........

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

You do know that most laws are based on morals right?

Thou shalt not murder, yeah, thats a good law to make!

You are missing my point.....I think im done explaining myself......

Sorry man....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join