It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally!! Congress does something

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Nancy Pelosi has dropped her hard headed bull crap!

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Monday night dropped her staunch opposition to a vote on offshore oil drilling in the House.

Republicans, reacting to high gas prices, have demanded a vote on additional oil exploration in the Outer Continental Shelf, where drilling is currently blocked by a moratorium. Until now, Pelosi (D-Calif.) has resisted the idea as a “hoax.” But in an interview on CNN’s Larry King Live, she indicated that she was open to a vote.
source

It only took them 1 year and 8 months to finally start voting on something important!!!!

[edit on 8/12/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Well, I am still against drilling because of environmental reasons......

More efforts need to be focused on alternative resources such as water as a fuel, geothermal energy, and harnessing wave energy. All are completely pollution free and are available everywhere!

If the focus was shifted, we might have a change.

We are still arguing over ancient oil. Oil is probably the least efficient form of energy, factoring in pollution and environmental hazards.

Its like arguing over building a road when we have flying cars!

They need to get over themselves and clean this country up!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I can understand the need to be a conservationist but until we develop those fuels we need oil to keep the economy going, which means keeping people fed and alive. If oil stopped today, 3/4 of the worlds population would be dead in about 30 days....

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

Its like arguing over building a road when we have flying cars!

More like arguing over building a road when we are dreaming of flying cars.

There is no water-to-hydrogen production technology that will satisfy the nation's need for oil now. There is no wind or solar technology that will do this right now. There is no substitute for oil in the manufacture of plastics and cosmetics even proposed.

Let's at least get one flying car to work before we decide we no longer need roads, OK? Else we will likely find ourselves unable to get to the dealer to get a new flying car, because we let the roads fall apart too soon.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
its not about rather or not you agree with drilling

the fact is

They're finally going to VOTE on it.

So after the vote - one side will have to shut up about it.

Pelosi refused to VOTE. She refused to do her job.

Representatives vote on things. If she refuses to vote on something important to americans, she's refusing to do what she was hired to do

Thats all im saying.

I dont want it to turn into "drill vs not drill"

i wanted it to reflect that Nancy Pelosi is a joke, i cant stand her, and am glad i didnt buy her book.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

You missed the point entirely.

Its cool though

Let me put it this way.

Water as fuel.....
video.google.com...

Geothermal Energy.......

Need I continue?

If you have watched as many documentaries as I, you would see that oil is a joke, and the resources I listed in my OP are very real indeed.

The flying car thing was just to get my point across. There are a couple out there, but nothing suitable for common use.

Thanks for the reply

[edit on 12-8-2008 by IMAdamnALIEN]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

...yeah.

but this thread is about the VOTE

They can VOTE either way.

The fact is - they are finally deciding to take a vote on it.

..did you miss that part?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Sorry bout that!

I was just saying that drilling is bad.....

She need to vote, period, though

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

No need to be sorry

Drilling may or may not be bad. Personally i think its good....thats just me though.

I hope they vote in favor of drilling.
All it will do is put pressure on the oil companies to lower prices.

When they don't lower prices, we'll have more ammunition to fight them (and the conservative part) with.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

The Dem's in congress are coming in too late unfortunately.
Their empty promises and inaction have ruined their credibility.

They had better start making amends by keeping their word on the issues they promised to fight.

- Lee

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

magical futuristic car

Dude,
not to take this thread in the wrong direction, but to see someone who has missed this much of the outside world, I just feel like I have to let you in on this secret. The only thing stoping us from having alternative fuels is the infrastructure.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
You are absolutely right. Please accept my apologies. This is about the vote, and no vote should ever be restrained from happening.

And Peloski is a total joke... only she's got enough power to make it not funny.

IMAdamnALIEN, we'll have to take this up elsewhere... given the current energy mess, I'm sure we'll get the chance.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I see your point.

Discussing the validity of drilling is necessary, i am sorry if it didnt come off that way

The point i was trying to make is that pelosi is finally DOING SOMETHING. Its the first time in 1 year and 8 months.

Now that my point was clear - id say its fair we can discuss the premise of the vote (not that i create the rules, im not saying that, what im getting at is i didnt want the point of hte thread to go un-noticed)

I've given my opinion of the vote

let them drill

reason: it'll either lower gas prices or give me more ammunition to fight conservatism and big oil with

either way - im happy

Whats yours?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I think there should have been a vote on this 8 years ago before we got into this mess. We as americans have gotten lazy over the years and we don't fix anyting untill it's on the side of the road. We stopped doing preventative maintanence. About the only thing these boneheads vote on regularly is their raises. I may be a conservative, but I don't like what burning gas does to the air anymore than a tree hugger. (but I'll bet spotted owls taste just like chicken
)

[edit on 12-8-2008 by network dude]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I hate Pelosi, too
but I am happy she's doing this, too. IMO, the most important part of WHY she is allowing the vote is:

She indicated such a vote would have to be part of a larger package that included other policies, like releasing oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, which she said could bring down prices in a matter of days.

“But it has to be part of something that says we want to bring immediate relief to the public and is not just a hoax on them,” Pelosi continued.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I find it funny that she has that to offer while she is on vacation. I'm sure by the time she returns she will act like she never said a peep. And if the question is raised she will say NO again.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
There is no substitute for oil in the manufacture of plastics and cosmetics even proposed.

TheRedneck

Sorry, but that's just not true.

...the first plastic ever developed was a “plant based plastic,” a cotton-derived product designed to replace ivory. Henry Ford was a proponent of plant based plastics and he developed a demonstration vehicle in 1941 whose seat covers, dashboard, wheel, and tires were made from plant based materials. Unfortunately, this all changed when the chemical industry hijacked the plastics market and introduced low-cost toxic plastics made from oil.

Source: www.chej.org...

Here are some examples of alternatives for oil in the manufacturing of plastics from more recent time:

Biodegradable USB Key Made of Corn: www.ecogeek.org...
WalMart To Use Corn-Based Plastic: www.treehugger.com...
'Sugar plastic' could reduce reliance on petroleum: technology.newscientist.com...

Since high-fructose corn syrups is so bad for your health (weight) it's better to use it for the production of plastics anyway

Now, I know these are no alternatives to completely stop using oil for the production of plastics just yet. But people are working on and even marketing, products based on non-oil plastics. So to say that no substitute is even proposed is unfair.

Edited to say: sorry to go off-topic here. Regarding the OP I say: vote. Since that's what they are there for, aren't they?

[edit on 13/8/2008 by FreezeM]

[edit on 13/8/2008 by FreezeM]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I just posted this comment on another thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

But it equally applies here.

The problem with the knee jerk reaction the Republicans are promoting over off shore drilling is a straw dog. They know they are doomed this election cycle so they are pushing this idea in hopes people will not notice their moral bankruptcy and poverty of real ideas, much less solutions that does not involve fattening their owners wallets even more than they already have.

First off it will take at least 10 years for any oil from off shore drilling to hit the market and at least 20 years before it hits its stride... that is a long wait for a drop in price at the pump.

Despite the dittohead's insistance that it is Republican noise (bush minor's comments didn't even make the market blink because no one pays him any attention anymore... if he were any more of a lame duck he would be stuffed and on a mantlepiece somewhere) that has cause the recent fall in oil prices, it has done nothing of the sort. Demand is down planet wide because of the high price, ergo there is more oil on the market so supply drops... its so simple even the average Joe understands it... also there is always a drop in oil prices at summer's end.

The other thing is this and it is by far the most important... all the oil that the big oil companies drill goes into an international pool as it were from which all the nations and suppliers buy from... in short it never stays in the nation of origin and if demand is high and the dollar weak it doesn't matter if it was drilled on the Mall in DC... if we don't have the money to buy it with, it doesn't benefit us one iota.

Its a scam to claim otherwise... unless we nationalize our oil reserves for our use, only selling the excess it doesn't matter its drilled.

Still diversifiying energy resources and developing new ways of doing things are the only real answer.

Indeed it is probably more appro here.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Good post, Andrew. Starred and flagged.

She not only will allow a vote ( one person should not have that much power, imo), but she said she might support a package that includes drilling.

Hopefully she is reacting to to the polls which show overwhelming support for drilling. But hopefully the bill will not be loaded down with other rubbish, as is so often the case.

Edit to add: I just read your later post about "fighting conservatism". :shk:

[edit on 13-8-2008 by jsobecky]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

( one person should not have that much power, imo

Are you aware that there is a Republican congressman from Okahoma who is holding up a whole slew of legislation because he objects to them?

Any Senator or congressperson can, if they want, bring the entire process to a screeching halt.... not just the speaker.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join