It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warp Drive Engine capable faster than light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
dsc.discovery.com...

Thought many would be interested in this.
Beam me up Scotty!

Where is the antimatter?

[edit on 8/12/2008 by BlackProjects]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
So, once again Star Trek technology leads modern science. The modern concept is, in principle, exactly the same concept that fuels warp travel of the Enterprise.
Looking at all of the sci-fi that Gene Roddenberry created that is now being researched, or already created based on his creations, it makes me wonder just what inspired him. I mean, he came up with some of the most far-fetched ideas that were out of this world impossible. But just look at how much has been accomplished by science and engineering because of his fantastical mind. I am sure that an Aeronautical Engineering degree in the 1930's would not have any clue about such modern and futuristic creations that he came up with.

The thought of warping through space is very intriguing and I am sure that my great great grandchildren will never know a time when it was not possible.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I guess I was wrong, I always thought that "Warp" was bending time in space so you'd cruise at a fraction of light so you'd remain in the same presence of time...or wait, is that a wormhole. I've just twisted my mind lol.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Here's an interesting quote from the second page of your link:

"These calculations are based on some arbitrary advance in technology or some alien technology that would let us manipulate the extra dimension," said Cleaver

So these guys are from here on ATS, huh?
(*Bolding is mine*)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The title of the article is "Warp Speed Engine Designed".

Exactly how the 11th dimension would be expanded and shrunk is still unknown.

Yeah... just gotta get the "details" worked out.
And that's assuming theoretical physicists are right about 11 dimensional hyperspace in the first place.

Then at the end of the article:

"Warp drive isn't doable now, and probably won't be for the next several millenia," said Cleaver.

Kind of a letdown, heh.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
as far as I've heard from a theoretical physicist friend of mine, the consensus among savvy scientists in the field is that there is AT LEAST 12 dimensions, he personally has calculated out 16 or 17.

So the dimensions are there, now all we need is the alien technology!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
That's all well and nice but, like its stated this is an old reworked theory. Also they never said how they would create this field that would manipiulate the field. It sounds excatly like the star trek warp drive.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kriskaos

Right on the money. Replace "11th dimension" with "subspace" and you have star trek. What I find really interesting though is the estimation of just how much energy you'd need even if you had the equipment. Even if you had the ability to do it, would you want to if it meant consuming an entire gas giant or more in your own solar system just to do it for a single trip? (the galactic version of the green movement would have an astronomical hissy fit)

I don't think any civilization would allow that massive a consumption of resources for a trip that could be undertaken at sublight speeds by conventional means for only a tiny fraction of the cost. In other words, I would think that a civilization would have had to travel to at least one other solar system by conventional means before they start to utilize the resources away from their own home for this kind of ability, and even then, each and every trip would have to be carefully decided on. The use of such technology, even if it were possible, would be a very rare occurance for any civilization, even one capable of actually consuming and converting entire planets.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by ngchunter]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Sticking with Star Trek analogy doesn't the enterprise use Dilithium
and antimatter reaction to produce their warp engine?

en.wikipedia.org...(Star_Trek)

Here is some info on energy capability of antimatter
www.matter-antimatter.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Just mine a neutron star.
Neutronium FTW! Any civilization capable of harvesting Jupiter sized gas giants may just be able to harvest super dense matter from exotic sources.

Also antimatter - matter reactions would allow us to use only one gas giant instead of two or three due to inefficiencies in energy conversion technologies currently available.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Just mine a neutron star.
Neutronium FTW! Any civilization capable of harvesting Jupiter sized gas giants may just be able to harvest super dense matter from exotic sources.

Chicken and egg problem. Ignoring the fact that mining a neutron star is going to bring additional issues that mining a gas giant wouldn't have, how do you get to one in the first place? If you don't yet have the fuel for your warp flight you can't use warp flight to get you to a source of fuel, including a neutron star. My point was just that any given civilization would need to first travel to, and master, another solar system via conventional sublight means before they can even think about using this. As for antimatter, that's really the only good way to get pure energy out of matter anyway, but you need equal parts antimatter to annihilate the matter. That means half a gas giant's worth of antimatter to go with half a gas giant's worth of matter. Good luck finding a source for the former. Hypothetically you might be able to find a solar system composed entirely of antimatter (very very unlikely, but I'm being uber generous), but again, you'll need to get there through conventional means at first. And then you're going to want to use that fuel very carefully and conservatively.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
on star trek they use the warp core matter antimatter reaction ( which in theory is possible) and concentrated by dilitium ( which is fiction) into warp plasma then channeled into the warp naceles where some reaction takes place to created the warp field. When the field is created the ship is in flux with space and subspace what makes it accelerate . Also spacetime is part of the theory of relativity.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Kriskaos]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Wow, some people just don't get sarcasm.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

SWWNEWS will be releasing a news story about the latest developments of the STDTS, the first functioning prototype for warp drive, September 10th. For more information see www.prlog.org... ,
www.topix.com... ,
press.xtvworld.com...

new topics

top topics

join