It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stratfor acknowledges Russia defeated US, not Georgian army in South Ossetia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Stratfor acknowledges Russia defeated US, not Georgian army in South Ossetia

english.pravda.ru

The USA acknowledged that Russia had virtually defeated the US, but not the Georgian army in South Ossetia. US instructors have spent four years training the Georgian army for an attack against Russian citizens. The US administration refused to help Saakashvili, because the true goal of the new game in the Caucasus is absolutely different.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I absolutely agree with this. What does that say about the US's ability to train soldiers. Not much... The Russians should feel very comfortable right now.

english.pravda.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Out numbered 100 to 1 even the best trained soldiers cannot compete.. We figured that out in Korea after China sent in waves of humans with guns...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I think the title of this is misleading, pravda trying to be provocative.

What they're saying is not literal, they mean that they have defeated the US training.

Which is rather easy when you outnumber the opposition 20 to 1 with comparable technology.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Hmmmmm... Pravda as a source? I wonder if the Russian media is as controlled and subverted as ours? lol

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Nerdling

Agreed. Due to the overwhelming numeric advantage of the Russian forces, the outcome of this war was never in any doubt. The Georgians simply had no chance unless the US/Nato became directly involved.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
So US has only 8 aircrafts!? And even those are ex-Soviet Su-25.... Now i understand who really won cold war. Pravda means truth in translation. I think that the only truth in this newspaper is its name.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
lol... I think you are taking the name of the paper a bit too literally.. pravda has nothing to do with truth...

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Alphard]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledgePravda means truth in translation. I think that the only truth in this newspaper is its name.

Just as a point of information, Pravda has all the journalistic integrity of the Weekly World News, so I wouldn't take the report too seriously.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
"There is no Pravda in Izvestia, and there is no Izvestia in Pravda"

"There is no truth in News, and there is no news in Truth."

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by yankeerose
Hmmmmm... Pravda as a source? I wonder if the Russian media is as controlled and subverted as ours? lol

Among the few things in the world you can bank on! Of course it is. Aren't they all?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I am going to say that the training of the Georgian Army was not meant for Georgia to be able to defeat Russia in an all out attack. It would be better described as helping them hold their own in a group effort and be able to make coordinated attacks along with other groups of troops. For example, had they been a member of NATO they would have had support and would have been a useful team member in the defense.

Russia did defeat the US in the since that the US trained the Georgia forces and Russia defeated them before they were able to receive the support they needed and were close to getting.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I think what this does is that it puts away years of false assumptions that the USSR/Russian military forces, training, and equipment were remiss. Clearly, this military that rumbled into Georgia is not the one that stumbled into Chechnya in 1994, nor is it even the one that tried again in 1999. Even against Western-training and military equipment, and possibly even covert U.S. assistance, the Russians put a major beatdown on the Georgians.

As for any talk about this being "no surprise," it should be somewhat of a surprise given Russia's appalingly bad performance in many of its post-Soviet conflicts. Also, remember that U.S./Coalition forces outmatched and significantly outgunned the Iraqi military back in 2003.

Yet, our victory in 2003 was a testament to our awesome military forces and Russia simply had it easy? I think not.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
Out numbered 100 to 1 even the best trained soldiers cannot compete.. We figured that out in Korea after China sent in waves of humans with guns...

thats very true - russian forces were outnumbered 10 to1 - and look what they did

new topics

top topics

join