It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Web Firms Say They Track Behavior Without Explicit Consent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Some Web Firms Say They Track Behavior Without Explicit Consent

www.washingtonpost.com

Several Internet and broadband companies have acknowledged using targeted-advertising technology without explicitly informing customers, according to letters released yesterday by the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

And Google, the leading online advertiser, stated that it has begun using Internet tracking technology that enables it to more precisely follow Web-surfing behavior across affiliated sites.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
energycommerce.house.gov

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Despite the so-called demographic collectors these tracking programs claim to be, a very real privacy crisis could be brewing here. The amount of people touched by Yahoo and Google is astronomical.

www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by round_eyed_dog

Despite the so-called demographic collectors these tracking programs claim to be, a very real privacy crisis could be brewing here. The amount of people touched by Yahoo and Google is astronomical.

www.washingtonpost.com

And?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truther

Originally posted by round_eyed_dog

www.washingtonpost.com

And?

Wow, that brought a lot to the table Truther.

The implications here are quite worrying. There is something quite unsettling about this being so out in the open. Typecrimes perhaps?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by round_eyed_dog

Every time I run a malware scan on my computer, which is at least once a week, it reports over 100 tracking cookies. Most of them are attached by companies that do nothing but tag you with these cookies to create salable stats on web usage. Let's start there, with active tracking.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Hmm. Where is doubleclick on that list? I guess it got absorbed by AOL LLC or something, right? That place always tracked my behavior and told me what stories I should read, or should have read. It got to the point where news headlines were already marked as read because doubleclick figured I'd read them eventually. So I quit using those websites.

join