It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web Firms Tell Congress They Track Behavior Without Consent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Web Firms Tell Congress They Track Behavior Without Consent

www.washingtonpost.com

Several Internet and broadband companies have acknowledged using targeted-advertising technology without explicitly informing customers, according to letters released yesterday by the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

And Google, the leading online advertiser, stated that it has begun using Internet tracking technology that enables it to more precisely follow Web-surfing behavior across affiliated sites.

The revelations came in response to a bipartisan inquiry of how more than 30 Internet companies might have gathered data to target customers. Some privacy advocates and lawmakers said the disclosures help build a case for an overarching online-privacy law.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
When I was studying graphics my professor could not stress enough that there is absolutely nothing private on the internet... as soon as you click a link or send is is for all intent and purpose public domain.

That more than anything is why I do no personal business or financial transactions on the web at all.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
What did people think Google was doing with those cookies that don't expire until we're all dead? I hate Google and don't use it. Scroogle.org at least filters your searches through lots of proxy servers and then deletes the records frequently.

I don't have anything to hide about my financial transactions as they are pretty mundane and look the same every month. But if I ever do have something to hide I won't be dumb enough to do it online.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
As the OP said; there is no such thing as privacy on the internet. Not in the conventional sense. All we can do is hope to require 'collectors' of data to clearly and explicitly explain what any information about you is shared, with whom, and under what pretense.

But since most incorporated entities on the web know how, their legal jargon in fine print is not only virtually unintelligible to the common visitor, it's almost incomprehensible when looked at from a viewpoint of liability and transparency.

Edit to add: It is 'they' who are protected, not you.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Maxmars]

top topics

join