It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia 'ends Georgia operation'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Russia 'ends Georgia operation'

news.bbc.co.uk

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has ordered an end to military operations against Georgia, the Kremlin says.

He told officials he had taken the decision to end the operation after restoring security for civilians and peacekeepers in South Ossetia.

However, Russia has remained highly critical of Georgia's leadership, and there were no signs of imminent talks.

There were fresh reports of Russian bombing on Tuesday, with casualties reported in the Georgian town of Gori.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
This is a bit of breaking news, so details are scarce.

However, a number of news agencies have received reports from the Kremlin that Russian forces have been ordered to halt their operations in Georgia.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Let us see what Putin is going to do. He really runs the country... and military

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Yes, it is true. All msm is reporting it as breaking news. Russia is ceasing all military operations.
CNN
FOX
ABC
CBS

All news outlets carrying it.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
That was a bit of a fizzer then

Just kidding before you jump down my throught. I am glad they have made this decision and I hope it sticks! Only time will tell.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

What if the georgians dont stop shelling?

This is what medvedev said:

"Medvedev orders end to military operation

Medvedev orders end to military operation
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has ordered an end to the military operation in Georgia. He said the objective - “to compel Georgia to peace” - has been achieved. Medvedev also ordered the Russian military to “eliminate the aggressor” in the event of Georgian forces resuming hostilities."

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Just woke up and saw this.

Seems like it's over too fast, as strange as it is to say it like that.

Putin ending things, just like that. That is too wierd.

Was anything gained by Russia??

Kinda find it hard to believe that diplomicy triumphed here.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by wolf241e

I dont think this is the end to this either, its too easy.. I thi9nk the russian will say georgian have not stopped agression, and then they'll have a pretext to totally destroy the army and government..

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

I think you are correct. I am waiting for the catch. If it does spark back up, I think it will be far more destructive than what we have seen so far.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Its too good to be true...

Now... to the terms of the deal...

Is Russia going to drawn new lines?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I don't think the Russians will claim any Georgian territory, unless it's for a buffer zone around South Ossetia. They've demonstrated that they can march all over Georgia if they want and that should be enough to make their point.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by wolf241e

Russia did send a message to not only Georgia but the world, that being an ally of the US really doesn't mean a great deal if Russia or China come after you.

They have achieved a lot.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I agree that this whole incident has been a propaganda exercise as much as anything else, showing the world that the Russian bear still has teeth.

Russia has proven that, if it wants to, it can overrun Georgia and most of the other nations that it shares a border with. It throws Georgia's desires to join NATO and the EU into disarray, too. Russia has gained a great deal from this short war; they don't need any Georgian territory. I suspect South Ossetia will become a de facto Russian province, too.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
As long as that nutjob Saakashvili actually restrains himself and his military this shaky peace could hold.

If any more Russian jets go down I have no doubts Russia won't hold back a second time.
Let alone another shelling Tshnishvali..

They made their point to Georgia loud and clear, hopefully Saakashvili hears it and realises you can't hold onto people with an iron-fisted grip who don't want to be part of you.
He needs to let go of this territorial integrity issue.

South Ossetia was never his to begin with. It has been autonomously governed since 1991 with no Georgian influence or backing. If they want to separate and go their own way or join Russia, they don't deserve a huge military backlash for it and thousands of casualties.

Russia tried to do the same thing with the Eastern Bloc, Georgia should take note from Russia's mistakes.

Hopefully it quiets down for good and the Ossetians can pick the pieces up and move on.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I live in Canada montreal, and our newspaper makes it sound like Russia is the bad guy here and they started it.

Front page is Russia SLAMS Georgia

it's very sad

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Both sides are bad.

Anyway, Russia has succeded into avoiding Georgia entering NATO, they needed to be a stable and united, governable country to do so, now, they are in chaos, both political and physical.

Look at Ukraine, that why they are scared, if the tactic worked against Ukraine, then...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
LOL-i know there are lo0tws of disappointed folks that thought this was WW3 somehow. Oh well, maybe next time.

This is how these things go...they start up out of nowhere and it ends just as fast. I mean how far did everything really think Russia was going to go? They made their point, now its over.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Same in the UK, most of the papers are blaming Russia.

Good thing I have friends in Russia who are telling me the real story eh?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Russia are just protecting their back door. As for American officials slamming it all as a well planned invasion...............well, what was Iraq, Afghanistan etc. etc.

I think the US are just a bit pissed because Russia has slammed the door shut to prevent the 'West' from having a strategic foothold which they could use in any future conflict with Russia over energy resources.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I was going to say the exact same thing when I saw ModernAcademia's post...I read a few of the papers yesterday to see what there stance on the issue was.

There seemed to be an inherrant bias in most of them, I had to put The Sun down after reading through half of the article because it was so biased.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join