It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SR-71 Blackbird #17968

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
silQ it aint a replica and it was the same one that holds the record of speed i mean so called record

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
Facefirst, great tip on the US Army Ordinance Museum. I got to tour it on the trip from which I just returned. Not only was it a great place with tons (Literally!) of military hardware from way back to the present, but I got to speak at length with the Museum Director, Dr. William Atwater. People may remember him from his "Tales of the Gun" interview on The History Channel. He was very knowledgeable, very personable, and I appreciate his taking the time to talk to me about the collection and his experiences as its manger.[Edited on 30-3-2004 by Spectre]

This is a little late, but glad you liked the Ordinace Museum. The backyarde is impressive to say the least! Did you see the German Railgun? I freaked out when I saw that thing.

The Air&Space Museum in DC is a great place too. They have a Blackbird there too?

Anyway, I will keep an eye out for more museum ideas.....

~Face

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
the blackbird was moved to dulles intl airport from air and space in D.C. also they have the Enola Gay and charles lindhbergs plane that he flew across the atlantic with th blackbird there is the one that broke the cross country speed record.(SilQ thinks its a replica)

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Hi, FF. Please let me in on any idea you have about museums, etc. in that area. I am up there a lot and generally looking for distractions. That German railway gun was impressive. Imagine the effort it took to get it moved to the US.. I took a ton of photos and will be willing to put them up in another online slideshow if anyone is interested.

Definately go see the Dulles annex of the Air & Space Museum. I took over 300 photos there. The space shuttle is really impressive. Enola Gay is eerie. --It is pricy to park there, $15, but once in you can catch a shuttle into DC to see the rest of the Smithsonian museums. I'd pay twice that to avoid having to drive into DC!

NASM-UHC SR-71

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by machinegunjordan
the blackbird was moved to dulles intl airport from air and space in D.C. also they have the Enola Gay and charles lindhbergs plane that he flew across the atlantic with th blackbird there is the one that broke the cross country speed record.(SilQ thinks its a replica)

I have not been to the DC museum in 20 years.... last time I was there, they had a real ME262. Badass..! I think I saw the Enola Gay as well.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
yea it was all moved pretty recently i went only a few weeks ago

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by machinegunjordan
yea it was all moved pretty recently i went only a few weeks ago

Sorry, man. This SR-71 was never on display outside the Dulles facility. It flew into Dulles where it was stored and prepared for display. It has been on display there since the building opened in December 2003.

SR-71A #61-7972 is currently on display at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA. From 1991 until September 2003, #972 was in storage at Washington Dulles International Airport in a building specifically constructed for this aircraft. There, it was under strict surveillance by National Air and Space Museum representatives, who regularly adjusted humidity levels to ensure the best possible preservation conditions. This aircraft is no doubt the best-looking of the remaining SR-71s, along with SR-71A #976.
SR-71.org

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
yea i heard the steven f udvar hazey center but i thought that was the name of the building they keep it in at dulles

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Spectre

At the Hill AFB, Utah Museum (off the Roy exit on I-15), There is the hybrid dual-controlled Blackbird aircraft(64-17981/2000) on display. Designated as the SR-71C. As you go into the second hanger from the first, there it is; a real magnificent piece of engineering. A technology far ahead of its time. I was able to get into the forward cockpit and sit down, and now that was a real treat for me. I even took a couple of pictures of the front of the cockpit. The museum officials had the canopy fixed open on the SR-71C. This SR-71 Blackbird came over from Beale AFB. Its wings were clipped so it could fit into a USAF cargo plane and then flown over to Hill Air Force Base. When assembled back together, it made its grand entrance to the museum from Hill AFB. At the museum, there is a Blackbird engine on display and the ground power start up cart is also on display. And last, after walking underneath the aircraft many times, I noticed that there were no camera pods present: 4 under the centerbelly of the plane and 1 under the nose section - just in front of the front landing gear. Enough said, I just wish they were still flying!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join