It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran-EU agree to pursue nuke talks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Iran-EU agree to pursue nuke talks

www.saudigazette.com.sa

TEHRAN – Iran’s top nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili and EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana agreed on Monday to pursue talks aimed at resolving the nuclear crisis, state television reported.
Their telephone talks came just days after European Union nations last week introduced fresh sanctions against Iran over its atomic drive, which Western nations fear could be a cover for a secret nuclear weapons program.
“The two sides agreed to continue negotiations in a constructive atomsphere,” the television said. “Solana and Jalili voiced satisfaction at the constructive trend of negotiations in Geneva and the contacts afterwards.”
In Brussels, Solana’s office confirmed the conversation but gave no details.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This is an interesting twist in Iran's position, it makes me wonder if this sudden apparent willingness to negotiate isn't somehow related to the current conflict in Georgia.

The region is on a razor's edge at the moment, could Iran be trying to ease the tension with this sudden change in their stance?

I don't know, it does seem to be part of a much bigger puzzle though.

www.saudigazette.com.sa
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Nothing new here. More stonewalling by the Iranians. If they dont agree to freeze enrichment while talking then nothing new has happened. How is this a development in a positive way? They say this every week.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I think you missed the whole point of my post.

I can't see Iran coming to any agreement on their nuke program, I just thought it was interesting to see this negotiation agreement pop up at this time.

I agree that most likely it is another stall tactic.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Here is a link to another story on this very topic , the only difference being it's from an Iranian news paper .

www.iranpressnews.com/english/source/044426.html

The report gives a good indication of how there government views sanctions ...

Western diplomats have acknowledged that it will take months of patient diplomatic effort to build consensus for a fourth round of U.N. sanctions after it took six months to negotiate the latest measures passed by the Security Council in March.

However, they said the United States and the European Union might move ahead with fresh measures to target the Iranian central bank and clamp down on investment in and exports to the oil and gas sector in the meantime

I tend to agree with the OP'er , why is this in the news now ? Also , has the public not been trained to go numb when it comes to talk of sanctions ? When has the public ever herd of sanctions working ? .. Ok I will give you South Africa . But get my point ?

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Max_TO]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Excellent info, thanks.

OF course this bit of news has not reached the MSM in my area, (as of yet).

All the time they (msm) spend broadcasting the Iranian defiance of negotiations, you would think that they would be all over this change in temperment.

All the moves seem to be part of a BIGGER game plan, a game for some, for the rest of us nail biting time.

Oh well, all we can do is remain alert, those who like the game want us all to go to sleep......

top topics

join