It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Maps Erase Interiors of Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Check out Google maps. The interiors of Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan are gone.

maps.google.com...,45.74707&spn=8.917903,13.908691&z=6

So, Qui Bono. Who benefits? I'm sure some will cite security reasons, but the big players here have their own satellites, and don't need Google. I can only surmise that the PTB don't want us seeing for ourselves what is going on, so they can lie to us as usual. So who controls Google any way?

Thoughts?

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/11/2008 by Gools]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
got to admit, that is a bit unnerving.

First it was just Georgia, now two other countries show no detail.

Second, both support Georgia.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I saw another thread today that states Georgia is blanked out. Now the surrounding countries too!

I don't see how this really does anything, but I guess someone gave Google to do this for a reason.

I don't mind though, it's not really fun looking at Georgia; it doesn't have street view like the cities in the US.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Nice find. Why white-out Armenia and Azerbaijan? Odd that they too border Iran. . . .

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I noticed this too, a couple of days ago. What is creepy is the notion the google is own by the CIA, so they just flip a switch. Creepy indeed.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Why do this anyway? Its not like google maps are live views of the area. Its not like enemy of the state type surveillance technolgy we have here. Who knows when they were last updated

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by resistor

I also spotted this and started a thread earlier...

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Georgia and the others (IIRC) were blacked out at least since Friday, if they ever had any information in them. However they are completely available in Google Earth so I doubt this "blackout" is Google Policy.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This is odd and highly unlikely that it is coincidental.

At first I thought the data server for Georgia crashed because everyone and their uncle was looking up Georgia due to the war. Why would they also be crashing Armenia and Azerbaijan if that were the case?

Interesting point about Google earth. Why only white out the map server? Newer information? Odd.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tapped In

I also spotted this and started a thread earlier...

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

The 'reply to' feature seems to be off line, so I guess I'll just have to quote.

Yup, my bad. I just scrolled down the first page earlier instead of doing a search.
This forum is much busier than usual.

Originally posted by Mainer
Georgia and the others (IIRC) were blacked out at least since Friday, if they ever had any information in them. However they are completely available in Google Earth so I doubt this "blackout" is Google Policy.

Nice catch. Guess that somewhat mitigates the idea that the west is being denied intelligence on the conflict.

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
I noticed this too, a couple of days ago. What is creepy is the notion the google is own by the CIA, so they just flip a switch. Creepy indeed.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by pluckynoonez]

I've read the CIA-Google rumors also, which is the main reason I jumped on this so quickly. Could Google maps be much more used than Google earth? Just a thought.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I have been trying to use Google earth to locate conflict zones based on place names. It seems Google earth uses Google maps as a backbone for assigning place names to graphical data. Try it yourself on Google earth.

I cannot locate anything at all save for a few main cities. Google earth is now next to useless without the map backbone.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
If you can't find what you're looking for on Google, just use Live. Everything is still showing up on their maps.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Google would not drastically reduce the resolution of the region simply to push people into getting Google Earth because they could still make money on the advertising on regular maps. From a corporate point of view, why not let people look around dated aerial photography and rake in the McDollars?

The only reason I can think of to pull the maps would be the possibility that the map images contained incriminating evidence. We all know that the images were taken several months or years ago. What if the images captured, for example, a United States weapon system? Even fairly mundane things, such as the construction of a bunker, could now be classified restricted.

I just thought of a great project. I propose "Map Watch" a simple browser based software project that would save every tile you get from Google Maps as you look around. When you revisit a location at a later time it would compare the saved tiles to the new ones and highlight any changes from your last visit. It would be a great way to see areas they have become suddenly covered in a forest or magically blurry.

Jon

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

You're right! I got the same results. But:

reply to post by evilod

Everything seems to still be available at Live.

reply to post by Voxel

Great points, and this is why I believe the internet as currently constructed is targeted for drastic change. Too many ways around the control points now.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

Flanged & tagged.

I totally agree on the subject of "Map Watch!"

I am a "map person" myself. You can learn a heck of a lot about a location just by studying maps. I am former Military, & can assimilate images well. I have found other "regions/territories in the Caucus' to have been completely blanked. Three in particular were Nakhichevan, Azerbaijan, & Nagorno-Karabakh several months ago. One may ponder the reason for their being zapped, considering their proximity to Iran.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   

roads and cities were never there, just because you people just started looking for that region of the world, does not mean that they were erased just because of the conflict.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I checked out Tskhinvali in South Ossetia on Google Earth, just after the attack last week. Not that I haven't already kept an eye on that region for the last three years, as evident in this thread. But then Google Earth started bugging me to "update". I did update, and then I noticed that the label for Tskhinvali was almost gone. When I say "almost", I mean it's still there, but now (after the update) I'll have to zoom in a lot more before the name "Tskhinvali" even appears on the map. It's like they've decided that the place doesn't exist anymore, or at least they've made it more invisible...

I notice that Google Map has removed cities, roads, etc. from their maps of Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia. Azerbaijan and Armenia too! I'm sure many of you may never have heard about a place called Nagorno Karabakh? Armenia and Azerbaijan is still formally at war over that area. Maybe a new war in Nagorno Karabakh is next? The BTC pipeline starts in Baku, Azerbaijan. Armenia is backed by Russia, while Azerbaijan is backed by the US.

Peace

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Why would they block out those countries. This is seriously mind boggling. I can not think of why?

Does Russia small arms forces use google earth?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I believe they are in progress of remaking this part of the region .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join