It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A brutal summary of the war in South Ossetia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

A brutal summary of the war in South Ossetia

exiledonline.com

There are three basic facts to keep in mind about the smokin’ little war in Ossetia:

1. The Georgians started it.
2. They lost.
3. What a beautiful little war!
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This source is just a bit on the too happy side for my taste but the information seems to be of a good quality.

exiledonline.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
When has the russian propaganda machine failed to put its entire thinktank to work to bully another small nation....

same story every time.. rediculous

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
How did Georgia start it?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Well they claim that Georgia started it by doing a full scale attack and shelling of S-Ossetian capital. Which is bull. Georgia did take its troops into Ossetia, but only because the separatists (which were backed by russia and included many russian volunteers) kept attacking villages in Georgia proper. During a ceasefire that Georgia had started.

So - Georgia reacts and send in troops to stop attacks against its territory. And what do we get told by russia?

'Georgia sends heavy attack forces to S-Ossetia, violating its own ceasefire to commit genocide'

almost funny if it was not so sad

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Amazing thing is that there is some even on this website who believe that Georgia deserved it for shooting down those bombers.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I know.. I think many of them are just russian citizens who have been duped by their government... cannot really hold it against them because they just do not know better.

The sad thing is that they keep spreading the lies and some people are falling for it

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Alphard

Did you even read the article linked in this thread?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alphard
Well they claim that Georgia started it by doing a full scale attack and shelling of S-Ossetian capital. Which is bull.

No its not. There was a Georgian general on TV, early in the conflict, who confirmed they are conducting an operation in Tskhinvali, and at about the same time, 14-hour long bombardment of the city was under way.

Tskhinvali is leveled, and it's Georgians that must be thanked for that.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by unnamedninja
Amazing thing is that there is some even on this website who believe that Georgia deserved it for shooting down those bombers.

Wake up. Georgians assaulted the S-Ossetian capital and the Russian peacekeepers in it, killing many. Bombers were shot down a while after that.

Georgia deserved all of that and more.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Tskhinvali is leveled, and it's Georgians that must be thanked for that.

Can you post a link to leveled Tshinvali? Not 1/2 buildings, but leveled city. It should look something like this - because this is what happens when massive rocket/artillery barrage is used on city (with civilians),followed by intense fighting.
Edit: Link is not opening?

Another picture, hope it will work.
www.time.com...

[edit on 12-8-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Try
this link

or

this

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Thank you for your posts. I do no doubt that Georgian forces shelled the city,destroying houses and killing civilians. But it is not leveled or completely destroyed, look at your links. Compare it to what leveled cities look like. Stalingrad was completely destroyed. Does it look like Stalingrad? Berlin? Grozny was largely leveled. And it does not look like Grozny.
Damage now is hardly larger then of previous war in the are ,in the 90s of 20th century. And then nobody claimed that Suhumi/Tshinvali were leveled. You are shown several damaged buildings, nothing more. Just as with 2000 dead - and hospital with couple dozens wounded is shown. If there are thousand dead, there should be tens of thousand wounded. Now West is using Georgian/pro-Georgian propaganda and downplays Saakashvilli's role while demonising Russia's actions. But Russia is doing the same with Saakashvilli and Georgian "ethnic" stuff.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Thank you for your posts. I do no doubt that Georgian forces shelled the city,destroying houses and killing civilians. But it is not leveled or completely destroyed, look at your links.

I know, I know! I knew that you wouldn't find the level of destruction high enough to justify the word "leveled". Read further:

Compare it to what leveled cities look like. Stalingrad was completely destroyed. Does it look like Stalingrad? Berlin? Grozny was largely leveled. And it does not look like Grozny.

Let's put it this way -- it took a veeeery long time to bring all these localities to their final "shape" or lack thereof. I've seen some ruins in Stalingrad myself, by the way. The amount of HE dropped on all these cities was far exceeding what Georgians managed to deploy overnight -- while still managing to destroy much of it.

Just as with 2000 dead - and hospital with couple dozens wounded is shown. If there are thousand dead, there should be tens of thousand wounded.

Well in a warzone, it sure is damn hard to get bodies from under the rubble, as you can imagine. Besides, you've seen only a couple of slides from a couple of hospital rooms.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

it took a veeeery long time to bring all these localities to their final "shape" or lack thereof.

But it is what is called "leveled","completely destroyed". Ghost city. The time and firepower Georgian forces had was enough to level Tshinvali? But Russian reporters ,having much more time at their disposal film several destroyed buildings, sadly - several dead bodies, and not-overcrowded hospital.
The situation to me is clear - Georgian forces shelled Tshinvali, destroying houses and killing scores (maybe hundred plus) of people. Tens of thousands fled to Russia. It is serious and tragic. And the wild over-blowing of the situation by Russian propaganda will allow Western propaganda to make even those facts that are correct - to sound like another lies. Hundred people killed in their beds is still a crime. But if caught lying so much - who will believe that even that happened?
Once again - thousand of dead in bombed sleeping city will mean tens of thousand wounded. Nowhere to be seen. No where to be heard of.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
But Russian reporters ,having much more time at their disposal film several destroyed buildings, sadly - several dead bodies, and not-overcrowded hospital.

Truthfully, the amount of audio/visual material coming frmo Tskhinvali was scarce -- no doubt because the area was so "hot". There has been continued talk about Georgian snipers covering swaths of the city. I think Russian reporters learned from their experience in Chechnya (where they were not infrequently killed) and didn't wander far outside of the safer area.

The situation to me is clear - Georgian forces shelled Tshinvali, destroying houses and killing scores (maybe hundred plus) of people. Tens of thousands fled to Russia. It is serious and tragic.

I can subscribe to that.

Once again - thousand of dead in bombed sleeping city will mean tens of thousand wounded. Nowhere to be seen. No where to be heard of.

There was no "tens of thousands" of people in Tskhinvaly. That basically means that your statistical assumption is suspect. If somebody dropped a FAE on a village of 200, killing everyone, would you say that you expect 2000 wounded?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

From wikipedia - population of Tshinvali - approximately 30000. I have no other source but even if it is exaggerated - still it is not city of 2000.
en.wikipedia.org...
And in goggle map it is clear that city is mostly 1-2-3 stores buildings with several dozen large ones. Massive -"completely destroying" barrage will cause a lot of wounded - even from glass pieces.
As for snipers - could be. 5 journalist dead, Russians among them. But there are videos of even Saakashvilli in Gori - where journalist was killed today, and few close-up photos of "leveled" buildings in Russian-controlled capital of South Osetia?
P.S.
Found something very weird in goggle Earth- only several photos in Tshinvali and one is cinema with Georgian/EU flags!!! Maybe wrong location?
Edit - double reply.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

top topics

join