It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How seriously should we (citizens) take the Russia/Georgia war?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I can't help but feel extremely nervous about the current situation right now, but
it seems that many people are brushing it off like it is none of our business or it will not affect us.

Is this a war that will eventually affect us? I'm assuming there is no possible way to help this small country without starting a war with Russia. What if we step in.. is it WW3?

A draft is inevitable if we step in, and we are in no way prepared to take on a Super-Power right now... how concerned should American Citizens be???

[edit on 8/11/2008 by hikix]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I think people should be taking this thing very seriously. The potiential for war here is real and the consequences are serious.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I have to agree, This is something that needs to be watched very close right now, This could turn in to something that we all dont want,

So yes theres reason to be a bit concerend right now,

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
I can't help but feel extremely nervous about the current situation right now, but
it seems that many people are brushing it off like it is none of our business or it will not affect us.

Is this a war that will eventually affect us? I'm assuming there is no possible way to help this small country without starting a war with Russia. What if we step in.. is it WW3?

A draft is inevitable if we step in, and we are in no way prepared to take on a Super-Power right now... how concerned should American Citizens be???

[edit on 8/11/2008 by hikix]

I think it is a serious possibility. Bush is a lame duck but I wouldn't put it past him to do something before he leaves office. Then there's the other issue of two, count them TWO, presidential candidates; one a WARMONGER and the other a WARMONGER-LITE, both do not want to remove "any option" from the table.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Gateway]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
This is the real deal. The line in the sand has been drawn, and we have jumped back 40 years, to the peak of the cold war. Unfortunately we are the bad guys in this conflict, and there is a very real chance that this will turn into a hot war with Russia real soon.

God help us if that is the case.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
There is reason to watch it yes
But there will be no WW3 out off this,
No world power would dare try and end it all over this
A country with very little usage except the pipeline (yes harsh way to put it but its a harsh world)
Iran, thats a very dangerous situation and very more real chance of starting a world conflict definitly but georgia? Not a chance
The EU will not step in because nearly all of its gas and oil comes from russia
Look what happend when russia stopped the flow of gas to ukraine and even then people were shouting "WW3! its beginning"
People tend to over react, I can remember several instances when the membership on ATS and other forums started freaking out and calling WW3 i.e When N.korea starting fireing their toys'r us missles into the pacific ,
When the US sent a frigate to the coast of N.korea, when the "iranian" boats started provocating Us ships off the coast off iran , so on and so forth
I think its the fact that the world hasnt had a conflict of such shock in a very long time , if you think about it , Iraq and afganistan was the last major invasion of a country and there was people calling WW3 on that to
So long story short, No i dont think we should worry about WW3 with this particular conflict

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gateway

I think it is a serious possibility. Bush is a lame duck but I wouldn't put it past him to do something before he leaves office. Then there's the other issue of two, count them TWO, presidential candidates; one a WARMONGER and the other a WARMONGER-LITE, both do not want to remove "no option" from the table.

If Bush takes us to war with Russia, there is no doubt he will be in office this time next year. I really don't think Obama will be thrown into office while we are fighting a superpower. Remember that bronze bust of GWB revealed that read the dates (2000- ). Maybe this is all an elaborate show and the powers that be will control both sides (as usual).

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Eh... I dunno. World War II never really ended - Russia and Japan still dispute islands, for example.

Proxy wars have been carrying on ever since WWII ended. Whether they be by direct fighting, as with Vietnam, or by brinkmanship with the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I think the world has been in a much more dangerous position in the past than it is now. I know that's an outlandish statement to make, but seriously, the US isn't going to go to war with Russia and fight for Georgia. They can tolerate a Russian-ran Georgia, and they can still use the post-Soviet states for putting missile shields and other brick-a-brack.

You don't have Russia+all of it's Soviet states against the US. Iran is also just a fly in the ointment.

Just look at the markets - stocks are rising sharply, oil is falling sharply, even with speculation of the armada heading for the gulf.

This is all just making someone very profitable.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
There is no doubt this is a very serious situation. And our president did promise we would stand behind them. This will be just another lie President Bush has said.

In my opinion, the US will not intervene and start another conflict. As much as I dislike the powers that be I will give them enough credit to realize we need to stay out of the Russian/Georgian problem.

My heart is breaking for the people of Georgia. Russia will not accept the cease fire from the Georgian government. They want a complete surrender.

I fear this is just the beginning of problems for Georgia and it's surrounding countries.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This situation does have the potential to become very serious, but we're not at the point where we should be stocking up on food and moving to the basement just yet. I really don't think Russia will let it get that far. However, if they take Tbilisi, then it goes to the next level. If that happens then I for one will go from "mild worry" to "serious concern".

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This should be given serious consideration, but not because of WW III, which will not happen. Both Russia and the US are aware that there will be no winner of WW III, at least not a Russian or US winner anyway.

What needs to be understood is the dissolution of the USSR only gave it the ability to remain unnoticed by the US and develop its failing economy in order to acquire the funds necessary to once again become a world power, which they are accomplishing through development of carbon based fuel exports.

Many in the US hailed the USSR's break-up thinking that the USSR's power was defeated, calling for disarmament of the US defenses, which I am sure USSR understood would happen. If parts of, or the whole of Georgia fall, then it would be conceivable to think that countries close by, including all of the former USSR members will be next. Once unified, Russia could again exert influence in its former areas of interest, as in Iran and other mid-East countries.

Whether or not this would be a good thing may be debatable. If it contains muslim fundamentalists (the terrorists), then it would be good. If not, then who knows what will happen in the future. What is interesting is to consider how much the US knew of the Russian plans to invade Georgia. An invasion of any scale is not easy to hide. Now I wonder; Will Russia give us Iran if we give them Georgia?

Was the break-up of the USSR planned by the USSR - probably. Remember this:

"Gentlemen, Comrades, do not be concerned about all you hear about glasnost and perestroika and democracy in the coming years. These are primarily for outward consumption. There will be no significant internal change within the Soviet Union, other than for cosmetic purposes. Our purpose is to disarm the Americans and let them fall asleep".
-- Mikhial Gorbachev, former President of the Soviet Union, to the Politburo in November of 1987.

Have a nice day

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
If this confrontation goes direct, the NWO will achieve it's goal of destroying the USA. Even if it dosen't go nuclear, which in all likelihood it would, you'll lose most of your armed forces and geopolitical relevance and be plunged into an economic crisis that would last a decade and possibly destroy the republic, because too many people are aware this was all started on bs, lies. There would be martial law and a draft.

The neocons are lunatics, they seem to want nothing less than the destruction of the USA, as this is situation you just can't win. The cold war was had because the two sides knew they could not win each other. Well, nothing has changed.

It would be a smarter solution to put all the neocons in jail charged with terrorism if they push this agenda than to go into all out war with russia. There is no positive outcome to the latter.

The above was a non terrorist foreign comment intended to save America. Take it for what it's worth.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

I don't see how this is a "neocon" issue. This is an issue that involves all parties. By keeping to blame the "neocons' you do nothing more that stir up more ignorance of the real issues (not meaning YOU are ignorant - i.e., not a personal attack). The real issue is (may be) the planned establishment of the NWO, which really can be established through world turmoil. Wars are a good way to induce turmoil and provide the opportunity for the typical world citizens to accept limits on freedom.

A neocon issue - no, sorry, but no.

Another Gorby quote so you may see the real issue:

Further global progress is now possible only through a quest for universal consensus in the movement towards a new world order

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Don't quit your day job,IMO we will see the end of hostilities in a few days,esp now that the International community is getting aggressively involved, Russia's point has been made ,Georgia has retreated ,it's time to withdraw at least to securing SO. Now the question is, will SO with it's Russian nationals remain apart of Georgia?or will it be absorbed?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
If it's all for one, then the U.S. would be first to bomb Russia. But if the U.S. feels that one little country isnt worth more than that counrty being destroyed, then they wouldnt dare bomb Russia.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mabus
If it's all for one, then the U.S. would be first to bomb Russia. But if the U.S. feels that one little country isnt worth more than that counrty being destroyed, then they wouldnt dare bomb Russia.

uhm....have you looked who is in power in the US lately? Do you really think he is going to let this go just like that? Com'n, with Bush in power there's no telling on what's really going on, I don't even think he even knows half the time.

Russia needs to retreat, if they don't then, you know who....is going to attack!
And maybe it is a strategy that Bush is implementing so that Obama doesn't get a turn over from him.

I'm just guessing.....me and my crazy, wild guesses!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
some options for US gov.
1) send divisions entry Georgia but S.O(it is too late now), if Tbiliz request
2) send F-22 entry Turky, if Ukraine asked, also to Ukraine
3) send navy entry black sea to defend Ukraine from Russia.
4) set Georgia as no-fly-zone except SOssetia.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The Neocons are the head of the spear when it comes to military-industrial complex warmongering and the permanent war economy. If anyone is directly responsible they are, but yes, there is a more complex backdrop to the whole situation, so this isn't a a or b type of situation.

But going after the most vocal warmongers would be a line in the sand and do much to difuse this situation, which I remind you could very quickly turn into a nuclear conflict.

Nobody will win a nuclear conflict except the masochists.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Zepherian]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
BREAKING NEWS:USA military into going into Georgia
this can't be good, I'm shopping for beans.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I cant lie and say this situation doesn't worry me, but if things get hairy and i am called upon i will do what i must to protect my family.

I just hope it doesn't come to that........

top topics

<<   2 >>

join