It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fruit from another world? (Pics)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Every time I look at these pictures I am convinced these fruits did not originate here. I have no proof. Just a feeling.

Although you are looking at pictures of fruit grown terrestrially, I just look at them and have to think they, and possibly many other species of animals came from somewhere else, and were seeded here long ago. They just look so strange!

When I look at a giraffe or an elephant, I think the same.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Great pictures thanks.

I feel the same about Orangutans

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Omniscient1]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
My Wife says they are from the philippines..She laughed..

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Granted, I'm a meatatarian and damn near don't know the difference between an apple and an orange (thank god for the self-named color code on the latter), what the hell are those !!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
dragonfruit
something ive never seen
and litchi

very pretty. im not so into fruit, but i'd buy those ones just for decoration.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Those all look yummlicious. I hope they're not toxic.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The middle one is a Kiwano African Horned Melon.

I feel the same way about the platypus.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Yum! Dragonfruit and Lychees! Common here in Australian fruit and vege stores. I've been eating lychees since I was a kid in the 70s. Lot's of fruits native to Asia look a bit odd. Rambutans and Durian are another couple.

It's not the weird looking fruit that get me - it's bananas. There is nothing else like them...really! I've always believe they may have come from somewhere else.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by swinggal]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
the spiney third one is Rambutan from Indonesia. It is plentiful there and I have eaten bags full when backpacking through there.

rambutan

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
What cool pics. I just found out about dragon fruit and seen it, It does look a little freaky. I havent tasted it yet, but it is suppose to be really good for you. Living in Hawaii we get everything, because of the diverse group that lives here. I love Lychee the last fruit, it actually has little to no taste.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Dragonfruit..... I oughta be able to grow that here... I wonder how a person goes about getting exotic seeds? I know from recent experience that I have to go through ALL KINDS of changes to get heirloom seeds shipped here -- many places will take my credit card, but won't ship here. One seed company emailed me and said it was a recent "security" provision. Oboy. Don't want to have terrorists growing things and enriching their bodies. Hey, if a person has EVER tended a garden, they don't have many energies left to blow up crap -- my opinion. I think they should encourage such things.

Me want dragonfruit. I will trade #11 mango, naseberry (makes a stellar wine) or soursop seeds.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Could you describe the tastes of the pictured fruit?

The African horned melon looks like mostly seeds.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Alien? Don't know. Yummy? For sure.

It's octopuses that freak me out. Those creatures are as alien as it gets.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg

The rambutan is very juicy but has a "nut" in the middle. It's kinda like eating a big cherry. The closest taste I can think of is melon (honeydoo). Travelers to SE Asia that have never encountered it usually freak out when they see you eat it.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Yeah, sorry, Lychee have no spikes bit look similar inside.

Rambutans are fleshy and sweet like melon. I remember eating about 20 of them in Thailand in one go. Was about 20c for 20!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg

It taste like a sour kiwi.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Argentus, most of these fruits are commercially available at supermarkets here in Australia, but before they went mainstream most Asian supermarkets sold exotic fruits. Buy some yourself and save the seeds. Most require a tropical environment though.

I know they commerically farm Dragonfruit in the northern areas of Australia (tropics).

Mangosteen is yummy too.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by swinggal]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
What? No snozberries?

There are plenty of "juice" drinks out there that have Dragonfruit varieties but I'd love to sink my teeth into a a ripe, real one.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Anybody tired Durian fruit? I heard it smells like roadkill and tastes like angel food cake.

So, in summary, Durian smells like leeks, sulphur oh yes and not forgetting a dash - a really tiny hint, squashed on the road 10 miles away levels of tiny - of the nicer bits of skunk with additional sugary undertones. Not a lovely smell but not completely off putting… Inside it’s divided into segments, much like the inside of a horse chestnut but imagine the conkers inside have a layer of fruity covering over them rather than being au naturel.

At first glance it’s a greenish white sausage-shaped chunk, unpleasantly reminiscent of the innards of something only the wrong colouring for that. Although Mr BC swears it’s actually spot on, I am not so sure but then, he’s seen tripe close up and I haven’t. It certainly brings to mind the phrase “internal organs” although which one, where and in what kind of animal I can’t say for sure. It looks vaguely alien - the sort of thing you might expect to dig out of a giant space bug or which would feature as a side order on the menu in Mos Eisley Cantina.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by NightVision]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Not really on-topic but it made me think of this fantastic animated computer graphics on how vegetation on another could actually look like;

www.dailymotion.com...

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Just-Think]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join