It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reptilians - A new explanation (at least I haven't heard it).

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
One of the arguments in favor of the existence of a reptilian race is their prevalence in records of humanity's distant past (well, distant for us...). The impression I get is that virtually every ancient culture, regardless of place of origin seems to have a reptilian in it's religion/mythology. From this the mild logic reads, "See, they were here!" On a certain level, I agree. SOMETHING was here. You don't get that kind of consistency without a source. Rather than living, breathing reptilians living in a loft over the market on 4th street, I have a different cause... Dinosaur bones. We've found quite a few. There must have been many more way back then. Whatever they were, you gotta admit, those bones sure look like reptiles; and quite a few had an upright posture. These bones would be everywhere. Pretty spooky find I would say... so you have to come up with an explanation for these rather large reptile bones that keep showing up here and there. Thus tales were told of that culture's past when it encountered a reptilian race or god or alien or whatever... and you even have huge bones to back up your story!
So yeah, explanations for dinosaur bones...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Didn't you get the memo?

Dinosaur bones were put here by God to test our faith.

Duh.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

Bill Hicks, classic!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
That's a very interesting concept! The only questions I would have for it is why would the Reptiles of our past (shown in wall drawings, etc.) be depicted as humanoid entities? We most certainly have found a myriad of fossil evidence indicating dinosaurs once walked the Earth, but I don't know that we have found any that were humanoid in stature.

Do you think it is possible that the Reptilians depicted on walls were just anthromorphed from the fossils found in that era?

to your ability to think

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Taj Mikel

yes. I doubt they were getting down into the nitty gritty of careful excavation and reconstruction. I think they just found spooky skulls and rib cages and what not and figured with a head that big, they had to be smart, and if they were smart, they had to resemble humans in some respect.

Spines - shoot. sorry, I spaced. my bad.

and as for your following post: Absolutely. I'm right there with ya.

[edit on 8/11/2008 by verbal kint]

[edit on 8/11/2008 by verbal kint]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Just some speculation:

On shows about dino bones, I notice that most of the bones they show you are the smaller skulls and then bones that look similar to our own (especially given mans --assumed-- anatomical ignorance at the time).

The skulls looked remarkably reptile like and in some areas had living counterparts who sported similar noggins. The rest of the available remains tended to be those bones which look similar to our own. The small skulls and small bones belonged to reptile-like (human-like?) beings of 'myth' and with time gathered a wealth of story and legend.

Ancient man seems willing, across many cultures, to worship animals. If not direct worship to the animal itself, perhaps animal worship in an ‘avatar’ like manner. In many cases it gets taken one step further, and the animal/god is equally animal in appearance as it is man.

Even today myths are passed down and shared in general theme across a wide scope of culture…we just call them urban legends now. They may not be as nature/animal in devise, but still serve the same function:

They change here and there, and help to reinforce the relative ethics of whichever social group adapts them.

edit: A little more speculation:

The larger, but still remarkably human looking, bones could help to shed light on our pervasive giant fancy. Perhaps large human-esque looking remains often came without complete and interpretable skulls with which to attach a non-human persona.

Larger skulls comprised of relatively thin bone and lots of empty space/easy breaks may be rarer then smaller, more compact, skulls and therefore they were free to attach a human persona to the remains; the myths and stories developing accordingly.

[edit on 8/11/0808 by spines]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I was all ready to say this was crazy rubbish, but actually, thats not a bad idea.

They way I look at it is that people generally dislike reptiles, and know that a lot of them are dangerous, so extrapoloating from that, and maybe mixing in the fossil theory, you can possibly easily see why people go, 'ARGH repltian monsters'...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Very interesting idea, and I can't give you any proof that you were wrong. All I can say is that there has never been any evidence to suggest that ancient people were able to reconstruct a dinosaur successfully enough to see what it's original form would have been; that would make it kind of hard for them to see it as reptilian wouldn't it? Case in point, the greeks have lots of tales of finding giant's bones and reburying them with ceremony. A few of these giant's graves have been found and what they were were dinosaur bones.

But you're right, there are common themes throughout ancient cultures. Besides reptiles, what comes to my mind is an emphasis on geometry (which I think is a byproduct of the same part of our minds that recognizes patterns), dragons (fits in with reptiles), and lions.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
If you are interested, extensive research has already been posted here...The Rainbow Serpents.

top topics

join