It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's assault on Georgia alarms former satellites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Russia's assault on Georgia alarms former satellites

uk.reuters.com

WARSAW (Reuters) - Russia's assault on Georgia has caused alarm across its former satellites in central Europe, some of whom suffered Moscow's bloody "peace restoring" interventions during the Cold War.

(See link for full story)
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I cant believe a week ago we where talking about another possible conflict causing the world more than a few problems, i didnt expect it to happen somewhere else, i knew there where problems in the area, but this has gone way beyond expected anywhere.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I would imagine that everyone but Gordon Brown will be on high alert about now, i could see this causing gaps in the security of a lot of countries, while people go scattering off wondering what to do, I feel so sorry for these civilians, once again the innocent get hurt, and im not talking about Georgian Military or Government, the people

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Yup, it will hurt a lot more to Georgia, but its leaders started it. However Russia will loose a lot too. I wonder how fast Ukraine will be joining NATO - weeks or it will take couple of months? Baltic states will probably ask to place US radars there ,just in case - even symbolic US military presence on the ground will be good.
Now i am OK with Russia's regaining at least some of their might and influence USSR had, but the ruler (or rulers behind the throne) is very aggressive to former-USSR countries and is trying to geografically rebuild Russian empire or even worse, USSR. I doubt that in 21st century methods of previous century will work. Every action causes counter-action and now there are different,new ,not less powerful players - China and EU. Will be interesting century.
Edit - point clarification.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
We have now regressed to about 1963 as far as U.S./Russian relation go. I'm so glad that we get to wonder if we will wake up glowing green in the night, with a permanent 18" orange afro.

My Dad always tells me that growing up the end was always neigh, but now everything is fine since there is no threat of nuclear destruction since the cold war is over.

Well here we are again fighting the Russians just like in Nam.

What an insane world.

new topics

top topics

join